Cortina DHExtreme 99 Frameset

Cortina DHExtreme 99

Eric Chan   Downhiller [Aug 09, 2001]
Strength:

Looks strong, handles really well

Non yet, sit tower seems to be a bit week.

This bikes rocks, the quality of suspension is 2nd to none, handles better and quicker than my ATX-one, skip through small and sucks up bug bumps. Bit hard to get it started, once you're on the go this bike is fast, it made me go faster for sure. Top bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX-one DH
chris   Downhiller [Oct 06, 2000]
Strength:

Strong. So plush. Loadsa usable travel. Quality precision bearings which dont need loads of attention. Crazy linkage.

About an 1.5" over the amount of sag you really need. Far too much flex through the rear brake. The boss should have been made from black metal. When rocketing at 60mph you dont want that skinny little bit of metal snapping and being left with no rear brake. Could do with some more tuning. Head angle funny for a while but you get used to it. Squeeks a bit as non of the pivots are greased. Every git wants a go when you go anywhere.

Get one, strong, beefy. If u've got the money get one. Maybe try it first. Everyone who rides mine says its just a beast. But its set precision.

Similar Products Used: Intense, mongoose DH pro 7, kona (lots), rotwild, scott DH pro.
big ev   Downhiller [Jul 03, 2000]
Strength:

Ultra Plush

Might be considered heavy

Admittedly, I am a newjack to the downhilling game, but the DH Extreme 8 makes me feel like a top pro. I had trouble through the technical stuff, due mostly to my lack of skill, but, on fire road, it's almost as if I can't make a mistake if I try. Like a hot knife through butter, just point and shoot. I would lose my balance, and thought I would wash and the bike would just suck up my error and put me back on course even at 50 mph. I could practically go to sleep or check out the scenery doing 50. Warning: Plushness to the umpteenth power may give riders unwarranted sense of confidence and invincibility. I suppose it could be described as heavy, but, at 6'5" and 245 pounds, I probably need the extra strength this provides, and this really invites you to bomb it over anything. Just hold on and let this dream ride fly. It's also a dream to steer, and has an ultra obedient chassis. For its technical capabilities, you may want a review from a more experienced rider, but, if you've got the need for speed, look no further. Cortina; there is no substitute.

patrick merchant   Downhiller [Mar 07, 2000]
Strength:

this bike is the best!!! there is no pogoging when you stand up to pedal. the bike sticks to the knarliest of trails and makes you feel like the ground is moving out of the way instead of the rear triangle actually moving.out of the five other downhill bikes that i tested, none compare to the feel of the cortina dhe-8.

a little to heavy.

i love this frame!! definitley a frame i would race on anywhere regardless of the terrain and enviorement.

Similar Products Used: kona stabdelux, specialized fsr elite dh, intense, gt lobo, mountain cycle shockwave.
Christian Lie   Downhiller [Oct 03, 1999]
Strength:

I just wanted to tell that I`ve received my new frame n` that I`m even more impressed than I was when I tried it. I`ve not found any weak points on the frame yet n` I`ve tried it a bit mo` now... it`s so stiff and plush it pedals great and kickz ass in tha cornerz.. It doesn`t feel as plush as the Cortina DH-8 when you just sits on it, but when you take it to the tracks it eats the bumps even better and it is so much stiffer and faster, I can actually notice speed difference...

A little heavy... and most people that try it on the road thinks the head angle is to steep, but when you go downhill it`s just perfect... Maybe a little to much sag and a little to progressive?.?.?

get this bike.... the best I`ve tried... ever

Similar Products Used: watch my other review
Christian Lie   Downhiller [Aug 31, 1999]
Strength:

COOL,SEXY,BIG,PLUSH,LOADS OF TRAVEL,STIFF,SUPERB PEDALLING,GREAT HANDLING ON SPEED AND TECHNICAL TRACKS, THE GAZZA 3 FITS IN THE FRAME,ADJUSTABLE TRAVEL AND WHEELBASE, CHANGEABLE SEAT TOWER, GREAT GEOMETRY AND A REAL IMPRESSIVE FINSHING AND ENGINERING WORK!!!! (I`VE ORDERED MINE!!!)

MAYBE A LITTLE HEAVY... BUT THIS IS A KILLER WEAPON OF A DOWNHILL BIKE!!! THERE ISN`T ANY LIGHT MINIGUNZ?!?! IS THERE???

IF YOU ARE THINKIN OF BUYING A SERIOUS DH BIKE, THIS IS DEFINATLY SOMETHING YOU SHOULD TRY BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING!!!!! IT RULES MOSTOF ALL THE DOWNHILL BIKES OUT THERE!!!! NO KIDING!!! TRY IT.....

Similar Products Used: CORTINA DH 8 (OWNED), WORLD FORCE VR1, CANNONDALE V4000, KONA STAB AND STAB DEE-LUXE, INTENSE M1-SL, GT LOBO, VARIO TECHNO, INTENS UZZI DH, SINTESI BAZOOKA, IRON HORSE DH, SCOTT WC 98 AND 99, TREK PRO ISSUE DH, AND I PROBABLY FORGOT SOME BUT THEY DIDN`T GIVE ANY IMPRESSIONS WORTH REMINDING SO I DON`T THINK THEY`RE WORTH NAMING... I LIKED THE CORTINA DH EXTREME BEST!!! NO DOUBT...
Ro metdevelo   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2001]
Strength:

Looks Plush Travel Looks Service from Cortina Looks Replacable parts Looks ...One bad mutha

links need attention
seat tower a bit too weak
everyone keeps staring at me

This is the ultimate rig...

Similar Products Used: there is no similar product
Andrew   Downhiller [Apr 07, 2001]
Strength:

Looks

Weak tubing. Poor custmer service. Cortina's unwillingness to stand behind their product.

Cortina would not stand behind there product when I broke it (when the rear shock attaches to the rear triangle) I can understand that they would not just give me a free bike but they should at least offer to sell a frame at cost. All other bike dealers in the world would do that. I would think that a small company like cortina would put a big emphisis on customer service but I guess not. So if your planing to do big drops on this bike beware. I would look to a diffrent company.