Chuck CR FS Frameset

Chuck CR FS

1surfer   [Apr 21, 2012]
Strength:

Handling, climbing, quality. Great customer service. Looks great.

Not to many.
I will they still made them I would throw down for a new one in an instant !

I had frame #0. Daren replaced it because my double triple clamp forks hit the cable stays. He gave me frame #00.

Its April of 2012 and I'm still riding it and I still love it. Put a couple of new chains and rear sprockets on it as well as new tires but thats all.

My Chuck is still kicking ass.

I reviewed this bike on Feb 23 1998 and again on Aug 26 1998 and I still feel the same way.

Eeny Bear   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2006]
Strength:

Great overall geometry, feels solid and stable in the steeps andd cclimbs as well as any freeride bike can be expected to.

none really

Will anyone actually read this review? Bought in 1998. I still ride it often. Love it. I'm more of a roadie during the week now but was out again last weekend on the trails embarrassing myself on teeny little logs and stuff. One of the best freeride MTBs I've ridden. Solid and totally dependable. I have been using a Fox Float air shock lately (the RCR was crap - now they're called Romic, and I wonder if they're any better). Just bought a NOS Fox Vanilla RC shock and will try it out next weekend. 3 for value - even though I got a bit of a deal it's just a bike. In 1998 US$2000 was a lot of dough (retail) for a frame. Howevver, becuase it still rides like new after a gazillion miles I'llgive it 5 for value.

Similar Products Used: I've lost count
vaughn smith   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 1999]
Strength:

Fabulous handling in singletrack. I can climb technical sections again with the forgiving and gripping rearend. Great rear suspension with the RCR T-1, soon to be T-2. Guaranteed traction when braking in stutter bumps. Unique, sleek.

Not a gazelle on the climbs, but also not a pig. 28lbs +/-. Must be disciplined to just spin the legs or it will pogo. Prolonged out of saddle efforts on climbs is often an exercise in wasted motion. Red paint is easy to chip. The monocque frame does slightly accentuate trail noise, although nothing like the Trek Y's or even megatube cannondales.

Almost 4 months out, this bike would still be my first choice. I'm out every weekend (or more) looking for that holy grail of singeltrack, and this bike excels in that area. The cockpit is perfectly stretched with a 120mm 5 degree stem. So I can ride all day without getting a sore back. My arms aren't wandering all over looking for a comfortable place to rest on long climbs. The walking beam linkage is quite supple. Seated climbs in rough terrain are a breeze, but you can see the swingarm continually activated on smooth fireroad and pavement. Tightening up the spring and the dampening help minimize this somewhat.A couple weeks ago I got to ride a Boulder starship and this one side by side on the Bunker Creek Trail in Brian Head. The Boulder with it's monostay low pivot rear swingarm was still the best for aggressive uphill efforts. The semi stichtiony rear Risse Air/Oil was a sharp contrast to the Walking beam horst linkage on the Chuck. The Chuck will ride like a cadillac up anything, it just won't get there in a big hurry. I didn't feel like racing anybody up the hills. Downhills are another story, which just makes me gush. In singletrack it is very agile. With the supple suspension, I have the luxury of blowing through rocks, logs,... my two dogs, even if I shouldn't. Downhill it just blows the beautiful, but fragile, Boulder away. The rearend is so active with that T-1 it gives continual traction feedback. It will not lockup and slip and slide like the Boulder did. I can go into hard corners much hotter with still more control now. A nice feeling. The front end is decent. The White Bros doesn't match the rearend for suppleness, which is probably a blessing since it doesn't bob at slow speeds. The Z1 which I'm considering for much later, would probably make me much happier downhill, but would really crimp on the climbs. I backed out the dampening almost all the way. The 90mm is adequate travel. The flexion is minimal.

Similar Products Used: Boulder Starship X 3 years, Trek Y33, and Ellsworth Truth.
Dave Macki   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 11, 1999]
Strength:

- beautiful craftmanship
- excellent design and superb handling

- none so far though its only been a month of riding

I have only used this bike for a month now but I thought that I would give my general impressions and then follow up a year from now. Also I have yet to take it on the trails but I know some pretty gnarly city riding places so I think that I got a pretty good feel for the bike.For starters I weigh 185lbs and I am about 5'11''. I use to ride a Kona Sex Too but the suspension characteristics were kinda wierd (especially in high speed G outs) and the bushings were crap. I started to look for a new frame and Brett at Kalo convinced me to go with the Chuck (I am glad he did!)I was thinking of a way of describing how good the bike fees and the only way I could think of is comparing it to when I was growing learning to play guitar. As always I had to start out on a crappy guitar bought at some pawn shop but as I progressed I would step up the guitar hierarchy. Each new twanger would push my playing skills to new limits - fresh feel would give me new ideas and ablitities until you find the ultimate where there is not much else out there that can match the feel or sound. This is basically how I feel about the Chuck. My riding has improved over the short course of a month and the bike feels so natural to ride. It was kinda wierd buying the frame as the I could not test ride it in Canada before I got so I had to take a chance. The dimensions fit me nicely - I do not feel to cramped nor overly extended. The suspension charactersistics are really nice, much smoother and less progressive then the Kona. My one small complaint is the erratic customer service at Chuck. I have sent some emails that go unresponded and then some come back at me within an hour. I have also tried to get a warranty card/owners manual/ rear der hanger sent to me for the last three months and I have yet to receive them, though I was told twice (on the phone) that they would be sent out that day. Don't get me wrong I realize that Darren is basically a one man show and perhaps there were personal problems as he has stated before. When I do talk to him on the phone or through email is very nice and answers all my stupid questions. It just nice to get some consistency in the response to the customer needsAll in all the is an awesome bike - highly recommended to anyone looking for all around FS bike.

Similar Products Used: - Kona Sex Too
- Kona Stinky
- Trek Y bike
- Rocky Pipeline
Gregg Howard   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 06, 1999]
Strength:

High quality manufacturing, attentiion to detail & fine workmanship.

Too much fun factor!

I wanted to post a one year review. The bike continues to be everything I expected in an expensive high quality bike. The maintenance has been minimal and the reliability exceptional. I know that Darren continues to improve the design, but this bike is like a fine wine, it just keeps improving over time. My 57 year bones thank God that someone designed and built a bike that allows an :old amn to cointinue to enjoy one of his favorite passtimes...

Similar Products Used: You name it, I've ridden it!
Andi Mullin   cross-country rider [Mar 25, 1998]

Chuck CRFS I just built this hand maid beauty and have five rides under my belt. I can't believe how plush yet rigid it rides. It is first class in every respect. The guys at Chuck helped me out with set up and are really cool.I have owned a GT LTS, and have ridden nearly all the top bikes in this category. My Chuck rules!

michael posluszny   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2000]
Strength:

Good design nice looking handles well

First Daron is saleing Chuck.And is going to sale RCR shocks full out.Which I had to return my first one because of hissing sound.Very poor service from them at least they replaced it but took many phone calls to get the part sent. Had the bike over 1 year and 1/2.Had to frame replaced for because seat post tube broke loose.They only 2 welds to hold it in place I was told.I now need the rear piece that holds the brakes and Rear derailer replaced because of a crack.I have called daren 6 times over 2 months to get my part he does not return my calls.But when he wanted to sale it to me he diffenitly called me back.The bike is very hard to keep clean and waxed to many groves and crannies.When 2nd frame sent to me was missing parts.I still havn't got you would think when you pay $2000 for a frame they would have better quality control. The first frame had bumps in the paint job.This was also verified from the bike dealer.They said they they had a problem with the frames paint jobs.All the ones I looked at were full of these bumbs.I have had a creaking noise on both frames which I am not sure of but I think is from the seat post moving.Daren said to replace it with a longer saet post which I did it helped a little but still have noise when I am sitting on seat with wieght more towards the front and torqueing hard.Daren said that I could ship the bike to him and he would look at it.But when they replaced my frame it took over a month to get my bike back.And I am sure this would not have my bike for 2 months.There is a life time gaurantee on chuck frames which is good but if it is not in bussiness any longer or the new owner does not honor the gaurantee you are screwed.I like the frame bot afraid I am going to end up with a bike that breaks alot and no one to fix it unless I pay huge bucks at this point I wish I would have bought from a company like intense or anybody who might be in bussineess tomorrow>this was supose to be my dream bike but has become a big disapointment because of the frame It looks good and handles well.I got complements on it all the time when they do I tell them all the problems I have had with the frame and service i Also tell them the good but when I spent 2000 on aframe I expected Rolls Royce quality not Gm during the 70s.It was a good idea but not the expertise of a large company.

I can't say if I would do it again because in all fairness I like the look and the way it handles.But the quality is a joke.I have been biking for over 36 years and have many frames and bikes did not have problems with fromes breaking except on one which I was a bike messenger on for 4 years caring up 50 pounds extra wieight mant times I had the frame for over 6 years before it cracked by going of a curb.It did not have any suspension it was a road bike.I have not had noise problems that I could not fix or figure out like the Chuck CRFS and people we are paying $2000 for this the bike I had for years a a bike messenger I paid $400 total this bike cost me $5000 to $ 6000 was suppose to be a dream and is a big disapointment.And it may get worse as time goes on with no company behind it.Very disapointed in San francisco