Breezer Cloud 9 Frame Frameset

Breezer Cloud 9 Frame

Robert Emerson   cross-country rider [Jul 14, 1997]

My breezer Lightning is the shit. For all of you idiots out there with your
harsh riding aluminum rigs, get a clue. My bike weighs about the same and rides
infinitely better than my previous set of Crackenfail frames. Climbs like a
champ. Glides along dirt and gravel roads like it was on asphalt. Descends
just like its name Lightning. To top it all off, it has retro-style good
looks. I will never own another aluminum hardtail again and neither should you.

Jay   cross-country rider [May 21, 1998]

I own a '94 Breezer Lightning that is simply the most perfect bike I've ever ridden or seen. The looks are totally retro and classy, and the frame is supple, accurate, and climbs like a charm. I would never own anything other than a Breezer because, despite their paint problems, nothing is quite as good after you've ridden one.

Jeff Blackman   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight. Climbing ability almost no other bike can match. Better than average at every aspect of cross country riding. Steel baby!

Uh, yeah. It is not quite as fast in twisty singletrack as a Bontrager, if you call that a weakness.

Yes I have already reviewed this bike. It's two years later, I also own a Ritchey P-20 and a Bontrager Race and in my opinion the Breezer is still one of the greatest mountain bike frames ever made. I do not know how many thousands of miles my bike has on it, but it is in the thousands, I have crashed several times, and I have not managed to break the frame in four places. If you get the opportunity to buy a Breezer do it. It is better than average at every aspect of cross country riding.

Similar Products Used: Several Ritcheys' Bontrager
ryan waldron   Racer [May 12, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight
classic looks
nice dropouts
good paint job

strength
mass produced overseas

I guess this story is maybe one of those "well there is always someone that is pissed off at a company". NO matter which product people always have good and bad stuff to say, this is one of the bad stuff stories. When I decided to get a "real" racing bike back in 1993 I was working at a shop in New England and narrowed it down from a gt/ rocky mountain/ or a breezer and decided for me the breezer was the best choice. At this time I was 5'9 155 and bought the 17 inch jet stream which is the same as the cloud nine frame just with different parts. I wanted a racer with great parts,lite weight, strong enough for racing ,a good history and an acceptable employee purchase price. I had the bike for about 2 months and did a big race in vermont. The bike was demon on climbs, talk about fast and lite. Then on the first day of this three day race coming down the trail i hit a small water bar, (remember too the bike was rigid) in those old days, the frame snapped in four places, where the butting ends on the top tube and downtube, the fork did not snap, i went over the bars and cracked an old bell v1-pro helmet, if you know that helmet you know it was a pretty beefy helmet. YOu can imagine how i felt being 17 and spending as much as i did on that bike and now a couple of months later i was screwed. I was hopeful that since I worked in a shop and had good relationship with the breezer distributor at that time which was Quality, I thought things would work out perhaps in terms of some kind of warranty or replacement program. The bike was sent back to breezer and it was deemed to be "rider error" end of story. Also if you read your warranty booklet closely most bikes are not covered if used for "racing purposes" Needless to say I was disappointed, angry, and just plain old pissed off. all of a sudden i was in the middle of the racing season and had to come up with another 1500 to get another bike, not too easy for someone 17 working in a shop. Luckily I got hooked up with a great deal on A gt Psyclone which is a great steal frame that at that time was handmade in Colorado, I dont think they make it anymore, but I'm not sure. After that crash I decided that Ritchey tubing was not for me and now I wanted something stronger and still lite and the gt served that purpose. Also many people were coming in the shop where i worked complaining of denting the frame all over on very basic crashes. We had to explain to them the tubing and how thin it was at that time etc. All of a sudden the motto for me was "lite is not always right" Then fast forward to 1996 when I was studying abroad in australia. I posted this story on a "breezer fan" web site and twice the story was erased. The guy who was running the page at that time said he didnt want stories like mine on the page that they were just "mud slinging" stories. Somehow I dont know how but the man himself Joe Breeze saw my story (now again this is 3 years after) and somehow found my telephone number in australia and called me there to discuss how I felt, I was very, very surprised to say the least and commend him for doing so. I explained the story to him, he had mentioned how he never even saw the frame I sent back and that Quality made all of the warranty decisions, which I thought was a pretty bad line, after all he has a big say in his company and I would think he could have some influence on warranty decisions. He asked me what I thought would be good solution and of course I said Yeah i want a frame for no cost, he said that was not an option, but we arrived at a option that was a great deal to me that no one in their right mind would pass up. All I will say is that the cost for a new frame was very low. And this deal came about 3 years late. The frame came to my house and then I guess I had flashbacks, and just continued to ride the gt instead and left the breezer sitting around I think mainly because i didnt want to be on a frame what worried me and that I did not have 100% confidence in. After the Gt I bought a fat chance yo eddy, and that is the cream of the crop, i dont see how anyone can say anything remotely bad about fat chance or its products. that is just my experience on a breezer and with breeze himself. I would never use anything again with that 1 inch ritchey superlite tubing or whatever the name of the tubing was at that time. Nor do I recommend to my friends to ride mountain bikes with the superlite ritchey tubing.

Similar Products Used: Gt Psyclone
Yo Eddy Fat Chance
DARREN   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 1999]

JUST FINISHED BUILDING UP MY LIGHTING WITH FULL XT
GROUPO,WHAT A RIDE. IHAVE TO RETRACT MY OTHER RATING NOW. THIS BIKE IS THE BOMB,FAST LIGHT GREAT HANDLING,CLASSIC LOOKS AND CLIMBS LIKE YOU CANNOT
BELEIVE.WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT!!!

DLE   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 1999]

Just hope all the good stuff said about breezer bikes are ture. In the stages of building a breezer Lighting xt equip. Frame is very sweet, but I would have to say trhe welds on the bottom bracket could use some work. Love those breezer rear dropout.

Keith   cross-country rider [Oct 22, 1998]

Breezer Lightning, unsuspended. I own a couple very high end FS bikes and love them, but this is a pure bike: laterlly stiff but very forgiving and comfortable, how do they do it? Besides, steel is proven. I can outclimb everyone on this bike, and I am not a strong climber. Not a lot of of trick parts either, but still weighs in at 22.5#, which you can feel. A keeper for life, and five chilies.

Jennifer D   racer [Oct 26, 1998]

The Jet Stream is the only bike I want to ride forever. I've had mine for over 2 years and can't say enough about it. I have raced it for the 2 years and have experinced no problems. It climbs like a goat, negotiates tight single track intuitively, and descends like a demon! I also have the Venturi road bike which I recommend to anyone looking for a road bike. Why go with a different manufacturer for your road bike, when we know how well the Breezers behave!?

Jeff Blackman   cross-country rider [Aug 29, 1998]

I have a 95 Breezer Jet Stream that I bought new in early 97. I owned two bikes before I bought my Breezer, a low end cro-mo and a high end alum. I love this bike. It reads my mind and it loves to be ridden in all conditions. Joe's bikes have it all; they are beautiful, finely crafted, lightweight and sensible. I love the classic clean look of my Jet Stream. I wont even add v-brakes.

Bob   weekend warrior [Aug 23, 1998]

My Breezer Thunder is wonderful! It made my old GT Zaskar felt like a blob of fully suspended marshmallow on climbs, in sprint and on road. I had cancelled my plan built up the GT only after a few rides. Never knew that an aluminum frame can be so much fun to ride. I wonder how much better would a steel Breezer be?