BombShell Sputnik Frameset

• How fast do you want to go? How high do you want to jump? These questions are not necessary when you own a Sputnik. Hit that jump, the 7005 double-butted Trumpet tubing can take it! Carve that berm, the adjustable brake mount won't let you down. Hand-crafted goodness at all times, the Sputnik is function and looks combined to make sure you get to the podium first!
  • Red , Black, White & Yellow

• User Reviews (14)

Shaun   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2011]
    Strength:

This frame is indestructable the welds are massive the trumpeted tubing adds loads of strength and looks awesome ! the box frame stays can take anything and the droput welds are incredibly strong !!! considering how this frame was build for strength its suprisingly light too.

Can't fault it at all !

This frame is a bargain well worth its money and 10x more been riding freeride and downhill aswell as xc and am on this frame and its handled everything without a hitch !
    EVERYONE SHOULD BUY ONE OF THESE FRAMES!

Similar Products Used: Like a marin b17 but tons better
    Austin groves   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 2003]
    Strength:

strong but light frame, awsome for dirtjumps and manuals.

none.

This frame is insanly sick.

Similar Products Used: none
    Kev Bishop   Downhiller [Oct 30, 2001]
    Strength:

Looks! Strength, Oh and Looks

Holy Crap! I can't believe they put the most boring colour paint job on this site. These guys have the some of the sickest looking paintjobs in the business. Hand done. Don't believe me? Check my site http://www.geocities.com/limmykev/Others.html
    I have several photos there of some of their fancier paint jobs. The plain colours tend to be powder coated with a really thick lustre about them. The Tiger job looks heaps better than Planet X's lame attempt. They have a nice camo and this sick looking Flame colour job that a guy from Da Bomb mailed me (by the way people these bikes are Da Bomb bikes, distributed by Bombshell in the USA). While looks aren't everything, there is definately some pysche factor in have the sickest looking bike at the top of a run. Go Hard!
    Check their site www.dabombbike.com

Similar Products Used: Planet X, Monogoose and Haro
    JOHN   Downhiller [Jan 17, 2002]
    Strength:

FRAME IS REALLY SOLID
    NICE WELDS

YOU CAN THROW AT IT W MANY OPTIONS
    IT RIPS THROGH THE PLAYGROUND

Similar Products Used: KHS FETISH, RM 6
    Drake Brantour   Racer [Mar 08, 2003]
    Strength:

Strongest frame i have ever seen!! It had a great feel and can be used by a beginner or pro

Nothing...This bike is AMAZING

THIS BIKE WILL STEAL YOUR GIRLFRIEND, KICK YOU IN THE SHIN, GIVE YOU A NOOGY, THROW YOU DOWN A SKI TRACK, THEN RUN YOU OVER...THEN BACKUP OVER YOU AND SPIT HYDROLIC FLUID ON YOUR CHEEK...all in all...BEST HARDTAIL FRAME ON THE MARKET!

Similar Products Used: None, I only have this and a K2 Disco Monkey
    Erik Kellison   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2003]
    Strength:

This frame is literally full of strengths. I can't flex the rear triangle (square seat and chainstays), even without a tire on it. The welding is so beefy and the tubes so huge and gussetted that I can't imagine anything ever happening to it. There are no problems with bottom bracket compatibility unlike what I heard when I was shopping for this frame (I run a 68/73mm Evolve FR 113mm BB w/ Prodigy DH crankset). It's geometry is wonderful for both freeriding (if you want a hardtail for that sort of thing) and XC/uphill. All I have to do is move the seatpost and lockout my fork. The disc brake dropout was made well, and the vertical dropouts on mine are a plus (you can get the frame with either vertical or horizontal dropouts). It is a tad heavy as hardtails go, but the weight is worth the strength. The paintjob looks very nice, but I already managed to chip it once with my chain (before I put on a chainguard). My feet don't ever rub on the front tire. Riding wheelies is easier now. Top tube length is perfect for me. It turns really fast, and is light enough to throw around. And if you can get it at or near the price I paid, it's an incredible deal!

It is so pretty that I am sometimes afraid to scratch the paintjob. Oh, and they don't cover the bottom bracket shell when painting, so chasing and facing becomes necessary (as if it wasn't already).

If you want something that can go uphill with far less effort than any FS bike suitable for taking any kind of drop (Fuel, Liquid, etc.), then go with this. It has great geometry that enables you to ride both XC and freeride with just one or two adjustments. If you want something to learn to do trials on, this frame would work well, unless you're advanced, I suppose. It is made for dirt jumping and dual slalom, both of which I have yet to try. If it works this well for freeriding and pedaling, then I can't imagine how well it will work for what it was made! If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Similar Products Used: Ridden my friends Azonic DS1 for a few hours prior to purchasing this (ceteris paribus, I prefer the Sputnik). Used to ride a Trek 9900 for a few years. Ridden a RM Switch a little bit too.
    Kyle Baker   Weekend Warrior [Dec 16, 2002]
    Strength:

Nice geometry Fairly beefy Nice welds and nice and strong not gonna break off a 10 footer, perty cheap oh and its DA BOMB

HELL NO ITS DA BOMB

This bike is the shiznit for freeride/jumping/street anything its a nice do it all hardtail and best of all its a hardtail. Not to mention if ya get one of these get a sick paint job(i have the flame job its sick as hell)Bottem line get ur self one of these and ride it into the ground and it aint gonna break. BUY DA BOMB YA WONT BE DISAPOINTED Now GO RIDE.

Similar Products Used: Kona muni mula that i broke(peice o crap)
    Doug Brummett   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 2002]
    Strength:

Big trumpeted down/top tubes, gussets all over the place, CNC work on chainstay and seatstay yokes, thick horizontal dropouts

Odd size seatpost. At 31.4mm only Kalloy and other cheep posts are made for it. R derailleur cable routing is kind of lame. I found myself catching the cable loop with my heel when I ran a low profile set of cranks. Not an issue with wider crank/bb setup I run now though.

Sick ride thus far. I have a more detailed review over in the hardtail section:

Here is my condensed opinion after about a week of riding this rig. It is a great frame. Very stiff. Good slalom and dirt jumping geometry. It is very stable and even confidence inspiring. I find myself just looking for things to jump off. With a 4" fork the frame is a little choppered, but very responsive still. I have been riding mostly urban/trials thus far, but have thrown in a couple of good singletrack rides too. Everything is taken in stride. I would highly recommend.

Since these guys also make the Azonic frames there are striking simillarities. If you take all the stickers off someone will eventually mistake it for one. Main difference is the price. After sizing mine up side by side with an Azonic Evolution I would still take the Da Bomb any day.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Isaac Redbeard   [Nov 25, 2002]
    Strength:

Well, it was pretty cheap, and it sure as @#%# is industructable, though I seem to have bent the drive side horizontal Dropout. (very bad fall from 4 ft wall) The geometry, while strange at first, is bad ass in the long run. I love this thing. Great Cheap Trials Frame.

Weird Seatpost size.

Real nice geometry. I am 6-2 and 190, and I love the 14 inch that I ride. (the thing is really more like a 12 inch) The top tube is real nice and long, and the thing jumps like no bike I have ever been on. Landings are so solid, makes you very confitant. I am more confident on this bike than on my frieds Stab for anything but stairs.

I recomend this bike to anyone. I am thinking about getting another (bigger) for freeride/xc