Balanced Audio Technology ALPro Frameset

Balance ALPro

Lany   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2007]
Strength:

Strong, different, nimble, confident, responsive, agile, eager to pleeeze me.

The real weakness is, the lack of warranty if anything should happen- wouldnt expect the frame to break, but you never know. wish i had an extra der hanger. Seems a little heavy.

21" measures more like a 18". 21 is a virtual measurement with a slopeing top tube, thats probobly why it handles like it does though. In reality, if you can get over the whole ol school stand over height thing, the only measurement that really matters is the top tube length- at 23.5 its pretty big, so i guess its not a weakness, just feels small when the top tube is just below my knees with horizontal pedals. Good custom bike. Theres a noticeable difference between smaller production frames and mass produced.

Similar Products Used: Gary fisher advance, klein attitude, mongoose iboc team carbon (broke), alpine stars, k2 proflex, gt avalanche, and a few more i cant recall
joe   Weekend Warrior [May 30, 2007]
Strength:

fast and light. made in USA with top grade alloy.

ummmm.

very responsive. never seen another one, makes me feel like a better rider. Can be had for less $ than other more well known, high end frames.

Similar Products Used: gt and cannondale
Peter A Denny   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Everything!!! The welds are huge and the tubing is strong. Plus the bike is big and that I like. It has so much control yet never feels stiff.

That they are no more. I want another. I would love to get my hands on a second frame.

If you can get one of the al750 or alpro frames, do it. You'll never break it. I prefer the ALPro because of the replaceable dropuot.

TARSEY ANASTOS   Weekend Warrior [Mar 19, 2000]
Strength:

SUPER RESPONSIVE FRAME. SHORT CHAINSTAYS SO IT CLIMBS LIKE A CHAMP. SMALL ENOUGH SO YOU CAN THROUGH IT AROUND WHILE DARTING THROUGH TIGHT SINGLE TRACK AND IT LOVES ME.

A LITTLE SKIDDISH ON LONG STEEP DOWNHILLS(SHORT CHAINSTAYS).
THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE.

A SOLID BIKE THAT TAKES A BEATING. I WISH I HAD ANOTHER FRAME ON STAND BY. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO PUT THIS ONE IN THE SHRINE OF BROKEN BIKE PARTS (GASP!).

Similar Products Used: SPOOKY'S DARK WOODS KIND OF REMINDS ME OFTHE FEEL.
Ramon   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 1999]
Strength:

Super rigid frame which a lot under acceleration, climbing and jumping. Tubes are 7000 series aluminum straight gauge. Biffy welds. Frame is virtually indestructable. Legal enough race as BMX Cruiser Class.

14 frame is not V-brake friendly. Compatible, yes. A little bit tricky to get the right routing for the rear brakes. A heavy weight, literally, for a cross country frame. Brake/derailleur bosses are on the right hand side. Hit my knee a couple of time while sprinting.

Good all around bike. Especially when used as a courier bike, commuter bike, BMX and MTB XC recreation (will add MTB DS on list later on). I like its genral performance and durability. However as the years go by I tend to see more and more minor flaws and and tempeted on up grading to Ti just because of the weight issue.

Similar Products Used: My first aluminum frame. Test rode a Jamis Komodo bike. Didn't feel any difference.
Dave S   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 17, 1999]
Strength:

The bike is strong, light, fast, and forgiving. The welds are huge and teh price I got on the frame was terrific. I picked it up for $200. If you can snatch any frame at 200, do it and if it is a Balance, Definetely do it. Different from the ordinary. Great cockpit and control layout. Singletracks are now faster and a lot more fun. So easy to throw around.

The sloping top tube makes the seatpost stick far out of the frame for the bike to fit me properly. That's all. It fits fine but teh high seat post is not the most attractive aspect of the bike.

Pick one up if possible. The price I got on it was unbelievable and the ride is great also. Feels really balanced (heh heh) one clipped in and off. To bad tehy went out of business but if they didn't, I probably would have never got that price on the frame.

Similar Products Used: Many of my friends bikes. All seem heavier and less responsive.