Airborne Ti Hag Frameset

Airborne Ti Hag Frameset

[Jan 05, 2001]
Tom Chow

Strength:

Stiff, well made Ti

Limited sizes, no disc brake mount

Lowest priced Ti single speed frame you can get. Well made and stiff enough for me. Geometry tends to a shorter seat tube - longer top tub, which suite my riding. What else can I say, it does what it's supose to do and does nothing bad to draw attention.

Brodie Unibomber, Wolf Creek Moun-Ti, Litespeed Obed, Brodie Rocket

[Feb 19, 2001]
Tim Bazzell

Strength:

nice compliant ride, builds up into a light-weight bike, handles twisty single track with ease

for the price NONE!

i have had real good luck with this bike..it built up nice and light using a sensible parts mix..it zips through single track and up hills and down again without even a hint of any problems....and yes this frame is built over seas..and all im saying is im happy with my frame...the welds look good...maybe not as nice as a $2500 seven frame but you arent having to give the seven price!...oh yeah you get a life time warranty that can be transfered over to another person(for a fee)...airborne as a company is nice to deal wth also...anyway its a good frame for a good price!

surly 1x1(also a nice ride), home-made junk pile single speed

[Nov 14, 2002]
Konrad Solomon

Strength:

I bought this almost-new from its original owner who was an Airborne employee, so I got a great price. The price above is for my complete bike! Anyway, first off, this is a terrific single speed frame that you can build into a first-rate XC, multi-use or city bike. Strengths are quality of fit and finish and frame aesthetics (gets compliments regularly from strangers even non-cyclists). Also frame geometry is very stable in my 18" example, the ride is pure titanium (efficient and comfortable, stiff enough to take sprints up steep hills if you have typical single-speed gearing and requisite legs). Never feels unsettled, not as dynamic in changing direction as my SR900 Cannondale road bike for example but a joy to ride. The ovalized top tube and biaxially ovalized down tube are doing their job here. The rear stays are sculptural and stiff, personally I like the "tuning fork" seat stay design which is reminiscent of my Cannondale CAAD3 rigid M1000. It's very light and is proving durable. It's a blast to ride on moderate terrain, for intense vertical stuff I still prefer my shifter bike. This frame is designed for a high performance and no-hassle fun ride or tour over 80% of the sub-extreme terrain that's out there. I don't do trials but I suspect with its light weight and durability you could do a little hopping.

Honestly, especially for the price I haven't found any. This is a BMX bike for grown-up cyclists! Maybe, if you're a bike snob (which is against the single-speed religion anyway), you may feel this bike does not have the 'cache' of a very expensive titanium bike. If you feel this way, you have succumbed to the more $ = better bike fallacy. The best bike is the one you ride and enjoy riding! This frame is welded and finished to a high standard, the work was not done by Americans but if it were, it would cost much more than it does. I think this is a fair trade, though if money were no object for me I would probably buy an American-made frame (2 of my 4 bikes are).

Single speeders = fun. They're lean and mean. Without shifters and derailleurs and chainrings and multi-gear cassettes, they're unbelievably light which is an advantage going XC esp. long-distance. They're mechanically simpler which eliminates some downtime, adjustment and maintenance requirements or worries and gives you more ride time! The drivetrain is mechanically efficient, and teaches your legs to learn to spin and develop power accordig to the terrain. This bike does everything a XC bike should do, very well.

This is my first XC single speed. I have a Schwinn Panther single speed cruiser, and Cannondale M1000 hardtail and SR900 road bikes. I've ridden many others over 20+ years.