Airborne Lucky Strike Ti Frame Frameset

Lucky Strike Ti Frame

Airborne Lucky Strike Ti Hardtail Frame

Richard   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

It's Ti!

None Yet!

This frame soaks up the singletrack, it goes where you point it, and it appears to be bombproof. A few reviews say it suffers from excessive flex I am 180lbs and have not experienced this on my 2001 frame. I am looking forward to a long life with this frame. Oh and if anything goes wrong with it then I always have the lifetime warranty. Honestly I ask you what more could you want.

shane   Racer [Nov 08, 2001]

It is so funny how many good reviews are posted for this frame. I would like to offer one possible reason: The bike's cost opens up the opportunity for a whole lot of people, who may not otherwise ever spend $1200 + to own a ti frame, to experience how much better it can be than your average overmarketed alu piece of junk. Not all ti frames are good, but a well designed one has a whole lot to offer vs the alu bikes that most people end up riding. I'm putting in my two cents cause I tell people that my ti frame is sooooo good all the time and most people don't even get it. Mine is a sandvik made cove hummer that I'm sure is the baddest a$$ hardtail on the planet. Anyway, ti frames have been associated with yuppies and bike snobs for a long time, but if the LS is designed well it would perform like people say in the reviews ie soooo much better than the things they previously rode so you'd kinda expect rave reviews. Airborne isn't going to take any of the yuppie sales from the high end ti companies, but it sounds like they found a way to supply people with a pretty satisfying ride. Hey, it might be made in china, but made in the usa includes those alu bikes from pa that make me sorry for their riders.

Joe   Racer [Jul 31, 2001]
Strength:

It's a ti frame, with all that implies.

Head tube badge, people who don't know what they are talking about criticizing your bike

I own a 1999 Airborne Lucky Strike, non-disk brake model. I bought it used in November of 2000, so this is my first season riding it. I guess I have about 1000 miles on it so far. For reference, I'm 5'10, 165lbs and race in the Sport class.

I really like this bike, and the company that makes it. I bought the bike used. I had the seller send the bike back to Airborne, so that I could take advantage of the warranty transfer/recertification program they offer. The bike was inspected, cleaned, packaged and resent to me in about a week. Why do I bring this up? To show that Airborne is a company that has faith in their product (as evidenced by their willingness to recertify the warranty on a used frame) and there customer service (they *cleaned* the bike and repackaged it as if it were new).

The Lucky Strike is a great bike. It has a longish top-tube, so it is easy to get a stretched-out position. The mono-stay rear is quite stiff; that is to say that I have not experienced any brake rub, and I am able to apply plenty of power via my XTR brakes without any flex. In fact, I don't notice any flex in any part of the frame; no chainring rub at the BB shell, no torsional twisting in the front triangle, etc.

This bike is less 'harsh' than my last bike, an aluminum hardtail. I don't know how much of that I can attribute to the frame. I run a ti stem and ti seatpost on the Lucky Strike where I ran Thompson seatpost and Nukeproof stem on my old bike. This bike also fits me better than my last bike. So, is the fact that I no longer have a sore back and tingling hands due to the great vibration damping qualities of the frame? I don't know. But I definitely don't have back or hand problems with this bike.

Any problems? The head badge is crummy. It was not attached very well, and is falling off. This is a common problem with Airborne bikes. The decals are easily damaged, with is also common with pre-2001 bikes. On various boards, some people have complained about poor welds and mis-aligned frames. My bike does not exhibit these problems, and I have never heard a complaint from someone that actually owns one of these bikes.

To sum up, I really like my Lucky Strike. I have had numerous contacts with the company (I successfully encouraged them to become a supporter of IMBA, among other things) and have always had a positive experience.

Buy this bike if you want a good value for your money.

Don't buy this bike if you are a lable snob.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed, Seven
David Williams   Racer [Aug 03, 2001]
Strength:

A good ride. It is stable and predictable. Not too much flex but comfortable. It tends to ride more like a high end steel bike than ti. I think this is due to the fairly rigid BB. I weigh about 160 and notice less flex than my old Easton Alum frame. I have about 9 or 10K on the frame and have burned through a lot of components. The only damage to the frame are a few small scratches and the most of the decals are torn. A solid performer.

I have the 16”, which has a very sloping top tube. This is good and bad. The large amount of seat post exposed make for a comfortable ride but could fail eventually. Airborne told me they would replace it for free if it does. I’m more concerned with replacing the chunk of flesh.

It’s a good deal. You are not going to be blown away with the cosmetic aspects of the welds and such, but the ride is very good and it is durable. If you tend to place more value on performance over cosmetic and status issues than this is a good choice.

Similar Products Used: Lightspeed, FI, Seven, Fuji, Gary Fisher
a.w.   cross-country rider [Nov 10, 1998]

I first saw a Lucky Strike at a local bike shop months ago. I blew it off. A Ti bike for $699? Please! Then I read the review in MBA. That caught my attention. Too good to be true, I thought to myself. I checked out the reviews at mtbr.com. Everybody raved about this bike. Everybody! I still couldn't pull the trigger. It smelled like a conspiracy? I put in a call to the FBI, but all of the agents were busy. Hmm... coverup? So, I called Airborne and spoke to Jamie. Over the phone, using dulcet tones and a hypnotic friendliness, he managed to brain wash me. Suddenly, I had to have one... I could no longer fight it...I bit.He assured me (as only he can) that everything would be alright. I waited... A couple of weeks later, there was a knock at my door. A man in a dark brown uniform handed me a huge box, smiled, then vanished...Inside was an 18 Lucky Strike built with XTR, SID XL, Race Face, Thomson and Cane Creek Ti wheels. Damn! My hypnosis worsened... I felt dizzy. I had to ride it, now... I put it together in ten minutes. Everything was good to go. Off I went...This bike is the cat's meow. Best bike I've thrown a leg over. Light. Quick. Solid. Steering is laser-quick, not twitchy, but keeps you honest. Climbs like scared cat. Goes down like... well, it goes down nice. I think I'm being followed. I think it's the bike. Maybe this thing is classified top secret. I'm in too deep. Who can I trust..? Jamie's words rattle in my head I think you'll like it. You won't be disappointed... Jamie! It's Jamie, he's the mole. All I can do now is ride... The truth is out there, somewhere...

CHARLES   [Sep 18, 2000]
Strength:

LIGHTWEIGHT, RIDE, S BENDS IN FRAME, PRICE,COMPANY BACKING AND SUPPORT, AND OF COURSE TITANIUM

NONE I HAVE SEEN EXCEPT HIDING INVOICE FROM WIFE, LITTLE FLEX, AND CABLE ROUTING

AFTER MUCH RESEARCH AND COMPARISON THERE SIMPLY WAS NOTHING IN THE PRICE RANGE AND QUALITY OF THE AIRBORNE. MONGOOSE WAS TOO PLAIN, IBIS TOO EXPENSIVE AND LITESPEED WAY WAY OVERRATED. FOR $1300 TOTAL SHIPPED I CAN ALWAYS UPGRADE THE PARTS, BUT STILL HAVE ONE FRAME THAT SHOULD LAST MANY MANY YEARS, AND GETS COMPLIMENTS EVERY WHERE I GO, FROM (DID YOU CUSTOM PAINT THOSE STICKERS, TO, ITS SO LIGHT I CNT BELIEVE IT. ONE GREAT PRODUCT AND THE COMPANY BACKING IS EVEN GREATER. FREE SIZING UPGRADES, CUSTOMER SERVICE, SIMPLY THE BEST INTERNET DEAL I EVER ENCOUNTERED

Similar Products Used: LITESPEED TI, (ROAD FRAME) GARY FISHER SUGAR COLNAGO RAOD (CARBON) GT AGGRESSOR
Bryan Burnside   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 19, 1999]
Strength:

Handling
resilency
responce

V-brake noise
Had to remount the crank to get the noise out, I blame Shimano

I love this bike! I ordered the bike with everthing built up. The only really personal touch was building my own wheels. The Airborne saddle was too pretty to sit on, so it's hanging on my wall.
It took months to put this bike through the paces. Due to a ruptured accilles tendon.(On a Myata Kuga Ti Runner)
It just does it! It climbs. It handles. It smothes out the bumps. There's right now power transfer. I ride hard and like my technicals. The SID handles my 210 lbs with out a hitch, and the frame takes it in stride. In 8 years of riding this bike does it all better than anything else I've tried

Similar Products Used: Litespeed obeb w/Rock shox sl
Does it matter   cross-country rider [Sep 30, 1998]

This frame rocks, I outgrew my old frame and needed a new one and didn't have the money to buy a completely new bike, so i invested in this. When i ordered it I figured that it would seem really heavy and cheep right out of the box, but boy was I wrong. I flew across everythiing i steered for, the perfect geometry for anyone that rides as aggressivly downhill as i do. allaround the perfect bike for a small budget.

Jeff Z.   cross-country rider [Sep 22, 1998]

Three cheers for Airborne customer service! I received my Lucky Strike frame promptly, built it up and discovered that the bike just wasn't for me. The geometry was a little too stretched out for my tastes. It was a difficult decision, but I decided to send it back. I've got a limited budget for bike stuff and really wanted to be 100% satisfied with whatever I finally buy. I cleaned up the frame and prepared to ship it back. Jamie at Airborne seemed genuinely interested to hear my likes and dislikes about his baby and he harbored no hard feelings about my decision to send it back. I am absolutely and completely impressed with the integrity and interest the folks at Airborne showed me and only wish I liked the bike enough to keep it. However, it's not them, it's me. Seriously though, my experience with Jamie and Airborne (as a company) was excellent. In my opinion, it is crucial that we consumers support small companies who truly make an effort to sell cool stuff and are willing to stand behind their products. If we don't vote with dollars, we don't have a say. Airborne is absolutely worth a call.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2000]
Strength:

Quick handling, great lateral stiffness, incredible customer service

None known as of this writing

I have been riding my Airborne Lucky Strike for about 2 months now. I figure now is a great time to post a review of the frame.

I am a clyde rider (230 lbs) so I was a little leery of buying a Ti frame, but I ran into a couple other heavy-weights out on the trail who had Lucky strikes and assured me that they could not have been happier with their Airbornes. As well, I researched as much as I could off the web, including this list to determine if I should plunk down the cash.

I also wanted a disk frame since I do a ton of climbing and descending in the Santa Cruz Mountains behind my house. When I called Airborne about it, they told me they were working on it, and that they would let me know when the frames were ready. After about 3 weeks, I decided to call again and check what the story was. As luck would have it, they had one 19.5 inch disk frame that had not been crushed during the stress tests. Jamie agreed to sell me the frame. Apparently Airborne will not have more of the disk frames ready for sale till sometime in June.

After reading some of the articles on this board, the first thing I did when I got the frame was to inspect the welds, and check all the angles. Both checks were perfect. In fact, I can tell you first hand that unless the angles are EXACTLY perfect, there is no way you can install disk brakes without having them rub the pads.

I have owned many bikes including steel and aluminum hardtails, and a steel FS ride. As well, I have ridden aluminum FS and other Ti hardtail bikes. I can honestly say my Airborne ride is the finest all-around bike I have ever ridden. Picture a bike the climbs about 95% as well as the stiffest aluminum hardtail, and descends about 95% as good as a cross-country FS, but with the total control and handling of a lite-weight hardtail. By my best guess, when I am screaming down a steep loaded with jags and crags, I am getting about .75 inches of rear wheel travel on the high-speed bumps without the feel of a ‘lead-sled’ FS. As well, Ti is way better than steel at self-dampening when it does spring. So in layman’s terms, I am climbing about as fast as my AL hardtail, and descending as fast or faster than my Steel FS on the same trail.

On the trail, this bike is a dream. Coupled with the new Shimano XT disks, a Z2 BAM, and other assorted XTR and RaceFace goodies, this thing just wants to fly. My first week on the bike was pretty funny… I took the bike out on one of the trails closest to my house, climbed to the top, and then descended down the other side. On the descent, I could not push the bike fast enough. Throw in the great handling of the frame coupled with the extra wheel-modulation of the brakes, and its like nothing you have ridden. I have had to totally adjust my riding style to push through stuff about 10-20% faster than I normally would with a hardtail or FS bike. I can pull some incredible lines with this bike

Out on the trail, I constantly meet up with folks who wanna know if the bike meets the hype… my answer is to trade bikes with them and let them figure it out for themselves. It doesn’t take too long for them to realize that this bike rocks. It says a lot when most of the guys I ride with are on FS rides, and are now planning to sell their sleds for Lucky-Strikes. In Santa Cruz, where God comes to mountain bike, that is a pretty big deal.

The only problem I have had is with the seatpost clamp that arrives with the frame (I bought just a frame, not a bike). I was out on the trail and needed to adjust my seat height when the threads stripped. I promptly sent email to Jamie who next-day-aired me out 3 replacements to get me rolling again. That brings me to the next point in this… I am not sure that I have ever come across another bike co. where the customer service is this good. From buying the frame, to getting new clamps, to just sending them mail to tell them how cool their product is, you can always bet on getting a prompt response that lets you know they appreciate your biz, and they wanna keep you riding.

So… the meat of the post… I know this is gonna look a little cliché’, but these guys are getting the 5 chillies. There are few things I rate with 5… but these guys go that extra mile to earn it. I have an $800 (disk frames are $100 more) disk, Ti frame that my buddy can’t tell a difference from his non-disk L!tespeed, and I paid about half as much. As well, the L!tespeed is not setup for heavy riders. They do not have the lateral stiffness to carry my body. If you are a clyde wanting a Ti ride, I would say this is the only bike for you. If you are anyone else, I would still highly recommend this bike, unless of course you absolutely feel the need to spend an additional $400-1200 on a L!tespeed.

And for those of you who are skeptics… send me an email, and I will send you my number. I will answer your questions, and if you live in the Bay Area, I might even meet you out on the trail to give you a test-ride.

Gonzo Breath