Airborne 2001 Corsair Frameset

• Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 14,16,18, & 20”

• User Reviews (11)

c   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2001]
    Strength:

light 3.55 lbs. not at all flexy in the bottom bracket.
    no paint to mess up, pure TI!

none yet.

I bought this frame directly from Airborne.net. Two days and I had it in my living room. Took me about 3 hours to build it up. Absolutely no problems. Bottom bracket went in like a dream. Cable guides are perfect.

I'll write another review after I've taken it out a few more times. 3 days and 3 rides later I'm loving the Corsair.
    Have to run.

Similar Products Used: none
    Efrain Uzcategui   Racer [Sep 09, 2001]
    Strength:

Calidad del material ,resistencia y prestaciones maximas.

Solo las calcomanias que la identifican se deterioran facilmente.

Son muchas las virtudes que rodean este producto,la flexion que brindan sus tubos es realmente asombrosa ,simplemente tienes que tenerlo para convencerte que es definitivamente SUPERIOR.

Steve   Racer [Oct 07, 2001]
    Strength:

Weight, ride quality, handling, price.

None.

This is a follow up from an earlier post on the other Corsair page. My opinion hasn't changed; I still think the frame is awesome. No complaints. Does everything well and is extremely comfortable after 20 miles off-road. Feel less beat up than on my aluminum frames I have had. Please see my other review.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, GT, Breezer, Nishiki, Schwinn, KHS, Specialized
    mike   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2001]
    Strength:

Price, weight, looks, Ti, ride

none yet, and don't imagine there will be any

I wanted to build a H/T back-up to my FS rig (Wild Hare) as I HATED the stumpy. There's stiff, and then there's harsh. M2 is harsh. I'd read all the great about Ti, and went beyond Bike Mag hype and garbage, and asked some metal fabrication experts, if they had a choice, all things being equal (price, weight). Hands down Ti. Not so much for ride characteristics, but if welded correctly, it will not break. All the metals have their application strengths, but for longevity, it's Ti.
    With their lifetime warranty of REPLACEMENT not repair, why would you spend more? Oh, yeah for more $$ you get prettier welds and dropouts. But $400 or more for the same?

After a month of riding, I'm hooked. Ti is a different feel, in a great way. The corsair is stiff enough in the BB for me, as I weigh 160 with gear and water. It was perfectly true, handles great, and seems the more agressive you ride it, the better it rides. Climbs great, descends without being twitchy, even at higher speeds.
    The only odd was getting used to the sloping TT. When you get your frame (mine was a 16"), you'll swear it's a lot
    smaller. It's not.
    I haven't ridden my Wild Hare since.
    And lastly, great service, answered all my questions, and I got the frame in one day.

Similar Products Used: First Ti frame, prior hardtail that it replaced was a 97 M2 Stumpjumper (now that's a HARDtail)
    Louis Bernocco   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 2001]
    Strength:

Can take anything you throw at it and then some. Makes each trail easier to handle and a lot more fun. Can take a licking and keeps on trucking

Well worth the $600 I paid for it and it as good if not better than a Litespeed which starts out $300-400 higher!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: Diamondback
    Kyle Branyo   Racer [Aug 01, 2001]
    Strength:

It works just as well, if not better than a expensive litespeed, merlin or moots frame. But the advantage is, is that you have saved lots of money so you can buy some nice titanium parts to go along with the frame!

It is a little flexy, but not like merlins where the tire rubs( but i guess flex comes with titanium rihgt?)

This bike is a racing machine, the frame does what i wanted it too and more. If you are looking into a nice unexpensive frame, this is the one!

Similar Products Used: merlin fat beat
    giancarlo costagliola   Racer [Aug 04, 2001]
    Strength:

Durability, Price, Beauty and Weight

I got one... once you scratch the stickers on the frame they start to deteriorate very rapidly and you only can get this frame from airborne.net or bikeusa.com so you never are going to find a deal on it.

(i have literally crash this frame dozens of times and still no scratches)(besides the "access Ti" frame is the cheapest you´ll get and you just simply can´t compare the handling of the corsair with the "access" one...) this is a piece of art... even more if you dont like brushed Ti... like me...)(this frame is the lightess... even lighter than the Lucky Strike or any litespeed, yes... i know... the "access Ti" is lighter but again, it may be lighter and cheaper but flexes way too much) YOU HAVE THE MONEY??? BUY IT!!! THE BEST INVERSION OF YOUR CICLYNG LIFE...

Efrain Uzcategui   Racer [Mar 31, 2001]
    Strength:

Realmente es superior desde el mismo momento en que te montas,su absorcion a las inclemencias del terreno su comodidad,sin duda alguna ,la mejor inversion de mi vida.

ES PERFECTO ,TE HACE SENTIR SUPERIOR ,ES UN PRIVILEGIO.

Aunque tengas que hacer un sacrificio para adquirirlo ,nunca te arrepentiras.

Similar Products Used: Los comparo con Litespeed y aparte de lo costoso que es flexa demasiado .
    Sergio Acosta   Racer [Jul 20, 2001]
    Strength:

The thing I loved most about the frame is the finish, Lightweight and that the trail vibrations are absorbed. Now that I've tried this bike I'll never go back to Aluminum.

None found till date.

If you have $600.00 buy this frame, if you have more money buy this frame and some very light parts for it, because you can pay $1500.00 for a Litespeed or other Ti Bike but wgy would you. This frame is the same quality as the more expensive ones.

Similar Products Used: Merlin XLM, Litespeed.
    Jeff   Racer [May 06, 2002]
    Strength:

light, solid, excellent climbing and acceleration, stable descender even in rough conditions, less harsh than aluminum, tremendous value, easy to assemble (according to the guys at the LBS)

none so far

It might seem early to give a review after only a few rides but I wanted to put this out at the beginning of the season in case people are making buying decisions, now that Airborne is selling through bike shops.

I've been riding several years and started racing last year.
    I usually ride my Stumpjumper FSR Comp, which is a great bike, but not a great racing bike. I took this bike to my favorite trail, Pontiac Lake, and knocked 4 minutes off my PR for the 10.7 mile loop, and I wasn't even pushing that hard!!

The Corsair does it all; it accelerates great, climbs great (in or out of the saddle), descends well, very quick in the single track, solid ride without the harhness of aluminum. The paint is rather understated but looks good. The welds are high quality.

I plan to upgrade all the parts as time goes by and put the current ones back on the Marin. This frame should last forever and I'm looking forward to many years of fun with it.

This is a great frameset for the money (it's a great framset for twice the price!)and the service from Airborne to the bike store was excellent (ordered on Monday and received on Thursday). Unless I'm mistaken, this is a US made product, if that's a factor in your decision making process.

Bottom line - buy this frameset!! If you don't have parts to put on it, you can buy the full bike from your LBS or you can go to the Airborne.com website and build your dream bike. Checkemout!!