Aeon Joker Frameset

Full Suspension Freeride, 6" rear wheel travel, extruded aluminum front and rear triangles.

James   Downhiller [Jun 29, 2003]

it freakin' breaks

I've gone through 3 swingarms in 2 years. This is totally unacceptable. I've also posted many reviews to this point and they have all mysteriously been deleted. I pound the snot out of my Turner taking it off multiple 10-15 footers on a bi-weekly basis for almost 2 years and not one problem with that frame. My joker is my trailbike never seeing more than 5 footers and it still breaks. The guys at Ellsworth know it's a problem and they just don't care. Their answer to me on how to keep it from happening was to pay $835 and get the newest model. Nice answer after I just paid $1300 to get the stupid thing 2 years ago. After I told them that they told me to just sell it on E-Bay if I didn't like it. They suck and so does the Joker. I've got a friend who goes off on his 4 year old Iron Horse G-Spot and hasn't broken it. Many friends have Bullits with no failures. Don't believe the hype, Ellsworth just buys a bunch of add space which is why they get all the good press. Those who ride do know - buy something else.

Similar Products Used: Turner RFX
James Wilson   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2002]
Strength:

Laterally stiff, good climber, descends well

came with a weak swingarm that broke, sold by Beyond Bikes, not a Turner

Look, I'm spoiled and I know it. My other bike is a Turner RFX with a Super T and every freeride goody you can think off and only next to that set up does the Joker look cheap. Of course not everyone can or will shell out the cash needed to upgrade a Turner and if you are one of these people then the Joker is the best of the rest in my opinion. Of course, I'm letting the catastrophic swingarm failure go based on Ellsworth's word they fixed the problem but still be careful and check your welds for crack often otherwise you might get a nasty wake-up call one day on the trail.
BTW, Beyond Bikes is the worst company to buy a bike through. They will tell you what you want to hear to get your business and then jerk you around for weeks while they try to make up for the fact that they are cash poor and can't keep items instock and can't get items not included on their pre-made build sheets in a timely manner.

Similar Products Used: Turner RX (the ultimate freeride frame), Kona Stinky
Mark Johnson   Downhiller [Feb 12, 2003]
Strength:

Look, durability, finish, awesome ride

none so far

I mainly freeride (northshore style and drops) and dirt jump. This bike rocks! It takes drops (8-10') no problem and I've ridden away from many botched landings because the suspension eats up the mistake. The bike climbs well and the frame is very light for its catagory. I took it on a shuttle day last weekend and it descended beautifully. It floats over rock gardens and steers precisely when you need to pick your line through the gnarly stuff. You can't beat this bike for a freerider that needs to take abuse yet still needs to be pedaled up hill. 5 flaming chili's!

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain Pipeline, SC Bullit
I eat crayons   [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

Frame is bomb proof and so is the finish
Execellent climbing.

Ellsworth wasn't very helpful.I cart wheeled my ride down Crack addict at whistler and bent the rear rotor. I asked ellsworth a few questions and the guy was short with me. He kept telling me everything the warranty didnt cover instead of being genuinely helpful with my problem.But it was the end of the day and I'll assume he was tired. THey've been pretty cool in the past with my Truth.

First of all, do not buy from Beyond BIkes or Seattle's Downhill Zone. Second of all, do not buy from Beyond bikes or Seattle's Downhill Zone.

Beyond BIkes are a bunch of dishonest @#*&^%'s. They told me that BIke Co. is not a licensed Ellsworth dealer and I wouldn't get the lifetime warranty with the frame(total lie). Also the told me they had everything I ordered in stock just to get the sale. They didn't. Oh well, here is some free advertising for ya!
Downhill Zone- we bought parts from this place. We asked one of their mech's were a particular trail was(exit 38). This mudflap from Indiana(or somewhere flat like that)told us that he and the downhill zone built the trail and didnt want anyone else riding it. Anyways, we hooked up with the real builders of it and they substantiated our thoughts of the DHZ.
If you want to climb and then bomb down hill, this is for you.
The Frame- stong as hell(c'mon, dangerous Dan rides it). the six inches hasn't bottomed yet. No squeeking or creaking. Single pivot/swing arm is simple and laterally stiff. CLimbs great even with a DC fork. If you have a good pedal stroke, then you have minimal bob. Decends like a missile.
I thought it was slightly more solid on the down and a little better climber compared to the bullit. I like the bullit as well. The difference was small but worth the extra snaps. You will never have a second thought after you ride it.You'll really never want another ride, maybe a dare. But then you'll need more change and grow a third testicle to be worthy. BUy it from ON Top BIke shop in Vancouver! The owner lets you ride his!

I reserved 5 flam'n stools for the dare

Similar Products Used: Bullit
Christian Berg   Downhiller [Oct 07, 2002]
Strength:

-Very light (6.5 Lbs.)
-Very good for big hits and alright for jumping
-Good on Skinnies
-High Bottom bracket
-Stiff and responsive
-Good lifetime Crash Warrenty

-Weak compared to other frames
-Have broken swing arm twice in same place
but have been replace free of charge
Not to good for DH

Great frame, not too pricey for DH/FR.
If you want a light all around bike that can take the big hits and massive gaps then grap this frame. You'll have it for you life if you want

Similar Products Used: SC Bullit
RM 7
Robert Baird   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

Cool looks, rides great uphill for a 6 inch travel bike

First, MTBR has taken down my other 3 posts?!? Anyway this is the third Ellsworth I have broken and the 2nd Joker I have broken in 6 months. First time, you may remember from my post, the rear swing arm snapped completly off! This time the frame craked right under the bottom braquet.

The same wheelset has been on all 3 Ellsworths that haven broken. When the last Joker broke, Andrew wrote me this email:

Hey Robert-
Well, I am truly sorry that you have had bad experiences with us. We are a
new group of people here... George, Jodi and Greg are all gone.
It is me, Jim and Adam. I was here in the transition and can tell you that
things are much better here now. Jim and I worked together in the past at
RockShox and share the same views on Customer Service.
I am glad you still like the bikes, and hope we can regain your confidence
as a company.
I may have a way to do that.... We have completely redesigned the Joker for
late '03 or early '04. We will have rideable samples very soon and we were
going to handpick 10 current Joker owners to swap a new frame to. We would
want feedback as to ride quality vs. the old Joker, strength, etc. It will
be 7" instead of 6".
Let's communicate and see if you want to be a beta tester for us.
Thanks,

Andrew Siminoff
Sales Manager
Ellsworth Handcrafted Bicycles, Inc.
p 760-788-7500 x206
f 760-788-6212

When I call to get an RA#, Andrew is no longer there and they want $725.00 to upgrade to the new redesigned JokerSL. So my choices are get anther frame that I paid full price for that has yet to last more than 6 months or spend $725+ on a frame they said they where going to give to me anyway. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

I am a 33year old accountant. I weight 190lbs and the bike has never been more than 5 feet in the air. If I sent you a picture of the frame, you would think the bike had never been ridden, except for the large craks.

The jury is still out on this one. I will repost after Ellsworth gets my bike and gets back in touch with me.

Glen   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2000]
Strength:

This is no doubt my favourite bike yet.Nice looking frame the colour options are ok.Bottom line is does the job.The single pivot and frame design was my selling point.I find it easier to climb with than my old Giant 980ATX which was a full suspension cross-country bike.

I broke my swing arm,there is apparently a recall on it but my bike store never informed me about it.The rear shock(Stratos Pro DH) is not in my best books.Aeon is changing to Fox RC in 2001 to my knowledge.I would wait for it.

Overall I`m pretty happy with the bike.My friends want one.It turns heads on the trails and I get asked alot of questions about it since its not a very common bike yet.It tracks well and the 6" of rear travel soaks those big drops nicely.If anyone is considering the Joker I would recommend it,but wait for the 2001 to come out.They should have the swingarm problem taken care off and have the Fox RC shock instead of the Stratos Pro DH.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Bullit
Ben Belt   Downhiller [Jul 31, 2000]
Strength:

There are many strengths to this bike. First of all it gets 6 inches travel. Six inches will just about devour any bump or rock you put in front of it. The frame design is awesome, I love the huge ball-bearing swingarm pivots, they get the job done with ease. Whether it's a smooth fire road or it's an incredibly tough, downhill, rocky single track, this bike corners like a dream!

Have not detected one yet!

This bike is awesome! I still have not found a weakness and I have been riding it hard downhill for three months! This bike is for anyone who wants to have a blast while riding, I highly recomend it! I won't be needing another frame for quite a while. (Unless I upgrade to a new Dare!)

Similar Products Used: Kona, Marin, GT, Specialized, Mountain Cycle, Hairy Gary, Trek, Intense, Foes, KHS, Lenz, just about anyone who makes a downhill bike.
Scott Meredith   Downhiller [Jul 22, 2000]
Strength:

Where to start?Everything about this bike is amazing. First of all, the suspension design is great. It is semi-active (due to the high pivot point) so that there is hardly any suspension bob (This is the first bike I have tried that this statement is true) but it is super plush and supple over EVERY impact. How they did this is beyond me. It has six inches of seemingly endless travel. I have dropped off of a 15' roof with this bike and it held up like it's a walk in the park. My friends and I are, as our local mechanic puts it "thrashers". I have broken a lot of stuff the way I ride and I have never had a single problem with my frame. Besides how great the bike handles you can build it up however you want it. You could easily build it up as a light weight XC/Freeride machine or as a downhill monster. Either way it is set up, it will perform buitifully. Oh yeah, did I mention looks? This bike is gorgeous! Even muddy and dirty it looks great. Ellsworth also has great customer service. I have never called due to a problem, but a month after I bought my frame they called me up to make sure I liked it, and that I haven't had any problems! No other bike company's bike I've owned has done that.

My only complaint is that I don't have enough time to write all the good things about this bike.

You'll notice I wrote a review a few months ago. That was only a few weeks after I got it. Now I have tried and tested this bike and have only more good things to say. If you are interested in a bike-that-can-take-a-beating and don't want to dish out 2000 or more bucks (Unless you are buying a Ellsworth Dare)look no further than an Aeon Joker. Any kind of riding you do is fitting for the Joker. Beat the crap out of it and it will keep begging for more. Great looks, great price, and above all, GREAT PERFORMANCE!!! If it were possible to give it more than five chilli's, I would. This is an awesome bike.

Similar Products Used: Anyone who makes a DH rig, I've pobably ridden one. Kona, Intense, Karpiel, Remec, Lenz, Specialized,Hairy Gary, KHS, C-Dale, GT, you name it.
Ang C   Weekend Warrior [Jul 19, 2000]
Strength:

The Aeon frame is so solid that it begs to be ridden hard. It inspires riding nasty, technical sections with confidence. Excellent technical service from the folks at Aeon (and I don't even work there!).

no weaknesses noted.

The Aeon frame can be set up with low end parts and it performs for you, set up with high end parts and it performs for everyone. You can ride an aeon over trails that you probably would otherwise forget with other bikes.
There are no weaknesses with Aeon frames.