Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bikes

• Rock Shox Bluto RL suspension fork with 100mm of travel and a 15x150mm thru-axle.
  • Two Anything Cage™ mounts and extra bosses allow additional custom frame bag options.
  • Custom Race Face 24T narrow-wide single ring and bashguard features drive-side offset for optimal shifting performance while maximizing climbing ability. Allows for easy 2x conversion.
  • Front derailleur mount.
  • Sealed bearing 6-pawl heavy duty freehub handles increased torque in soft conditions.

Tom Bjelic   All Mountain Rider [Dec 20, 2016]
Strength:

Great Geometry, riding position is fantastic. The 2016 model in white with green north west Indian totem art is beautiful. Internal cable routing for rear derailleur and dropper post. Bomber wheel set, Sun Mulefut are reliable and easy to maintain. Nice welds.
Bluto is a must if you want hit techy trails after the snow melts.

Stem, bar, seat post and seat post clamp are very cheap for a bike this price. Got rid of them all on mine. Seat tube needs a reaming, very difficult adjusting seat tube length as it's very tough to pull the post in and out, it totally gouges the post. Bottom bracket could be higher. In deep snow pedal strikes are common. Vee Bulldozers are great in snow but at low pressure on dirt the self steering on these make them very unpredictable and super sketchy. Swap out tires after the snow melts.

First fat bike and after years of thinking I would NEVER be seen on one of these, I tried it and was quickly converted. That empty feeling I used to get when I hung up my Mountain Bike at the end of the season when the snow fell is a thing of the past. This bike has just given me roughly 4-5 more months of riding every year. I needed to tweak things a bit on this bike. Handle bar needed a bit more rise, the stem and seat post got swapped out for a higher spec and I run it tubeless. Tires are GREAT in snow but not great on dirt if you run lower pressure. Most important aspect is rider position and geometry and it feels spot on for me. 5'11 on a Large frame. A 24 tooth chainring is okay in the snow but if you ride the road to get to the trails, you'll want to swap that out. Fat is where it's at.

Similar Products Used: None, first fat bike, but I have ridden mountain bikes for 30 plus years. Intense Primer is my main ride with a few others.
Stephen DiPietro   [Nov 10, 2014]
Strength:

As with most Rocky bikes extremely well built. I was most surprised by how agile it was and how well it took the corners, its speed, and ability to climb with the fat tires only adding fun and virtually no negatives. The 4.7 inch wide tires make a statement as well.

Just the cost! Even with the component set and front suspension Bluto shock, this bike is a bit expensive at $2,699 (although cheaper than the Trek Farley 8 $3,150)

If you can afford one, get one, you will not be disappointed

A bit too much black on the bike, including black rim tape, that was easily fixed by replacing the black rim tape with red tape for a really nice eye catching color pop.

Jason McCrystall   [Sep 08, 2014]
Strength:

Excellent build quality - Well spec componentary. Stunning bike to look at - Pictures don't do it justice. Climbs everything you can throw in it's way. Handles like a normal XC/Trail bike. Bluto just adds to bike & ride.

Haven't found any yet.

My 1st Fat bike I've owned but had taste by hiring a Kona for a day to ride the XC trials here in Wellington NZ. I also have a 2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 and another 7 MTB's of various type - including a Salsa Juan Solo Singlespeed.

Ride the bike on all the trials I usually ride the other bikes and it's awesome once I got use to it - Climbs everything - no issues on the tight stuff either.

Carries & hold momentum with little effort. Still playing with tire pressures that best suit me and my rising style - Has VEE Tire Bulldozers fitted and recommended pressure are stated as 8-20 Psi currently experimenting with 9 Psi, seem to be sweet.

Out of box weight is exactly 15kg (converts to 33.06lbs.) Decided to weight the wheels for a laugh - front = 3.4kgs (7.5lbs) & the rear = 3.9kgs (8.5lbs).. Keen to go tubeless to see the weigh saving..
Honestly the bike doesn't feel it weight - rides a easy as my Altitude but with so much grip.

The Bluto is great - can't notice any flex - easy to set-up and dail in.

Having so much fun with the Blizzard - Surprises my riding mates on how I can keep up and out climb them..

Planning on adding a 2nd chainring and front derailer as want more speed as going to do the www.karapoti.com (50k) race next March wnat to blast arcoss the roller and downhills.

Regards