Framed Bikes Alaskan-Carbon Fat Bikes

Framed Bikes Alaskan-Carbon Fat Bikes

• Gears: 1x11
  • Frame: Carbon( 15",17",19" )
  • Fork: Alaskan Carbon Fork Tapered Head Tube
  • Seat Clamp: Promax Seatpost Clamp Mx-86 35MM Black
  • Crankset: Sram X1 Crank 32t 175MM

[Jul 29, 2018]
plotthound

Strength:

The frame has undergone 3rd party extensive strength training. The bike is light for a fat bike. I have 3 bikes the Alaskan is my absolute favorite.

None that I can think of

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[Sep 12, 2017]
atufft

Strength:

Strong and light carbon frame with excellent base price. Rigid carbon fork and fat tires eliminates need for suspension fork. This bike can make best expeditionary bike for ability to carry cargo without any flex or torque problems because 197mm rear and 14mm wide Thru axle makes for incredibly durable bicycle.

Wheel set too heavy and cheap. Performance maybe a just little long on the wheelbase making some single track maneuvering a little awkward. Plastic cable routing break off requiring zip tie replacement. Sort of ugly paint job.

I needed no-excuses durable expeditionary bike for 30 days of off road mostly machete maintained single track tribal footpaths in the Congo Rainforest Basin, fording dozens of rivers, thousands of miles from any decent bike shop. I had to carry the weight of many electronic gadgets, tents, etc. I swapped out stock wheels for HED Big Deal carbon rims and used Maxxis 4" wide tubeless tires. Trip worked well. I love this bike.

[Feb 05, 2017]
GuzziBen

Strength:

Light weight- as compared to metals
Strong- built to last

Heavy as compared to other carbon frames
Tires aren't tubeless ready
Pub Hub reliability

Purchased new in November '16 with the Lauf Fork, Guide brakes, GX 1x11 and Race Face crank, Pub Hub red/red wheelset, Framed carbon riser bar
Right off, the bike is light enough, stiff enough. I set a PR on a trail climb that I ride all the time on a Specialized Fuse. The Alaskan isn't as nimble or plush, but what are we comparing to?

After a few rides, the freehub stripped out. Never happened to me before, I'm pretty surprised. They were kind enough to offer exchange credit for the upgrade to DT Big Ride on Framed carbon rims. The weight loss was noticeable. I liked the sound of the 6-pawl hub, but prefer the design of the DT. I changed tires a couple times to suit changing conditions and toss out the tubes.
It's lighter and faster, and I like the Lauf fork and Guide brakes. Hope to keep riding this rig a long time.

[Feb 13, 2016]
Lefty Max
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Carbon frame, stiff frame (over aluminum), weight (over aluminum), Pub Hub (6 pawl hub), front and rear shifter cable routing, quality, bang for the buck

Rear break cable routing along underside of down tube and under bottom bracket, factory wheels are heavy.

Without a doubt the best bang for your buck when it comes to a carbon fatty. Went from a Muk 2 to the Alaskan Carbon immediately noticed the stiffness in the frame and the lack of flex in the frame at the BB area when pedaling as compared to the Muk (the Muk would flex considerably). The Pub Hub is superior to any 3 pawl hub out there when it comes to engagement. Ordered it with factory wheels (cheapest route, and heavy) as I knew they would be replaced with carbon wheels, rotating mass is the best weight savings you can do on any bike). The shifter cable routing is excellent, with the cables being routed through the frame.The rear brake cable routing was not a good method for anyone that would ride in a lot of loose rock, as it was routed down the underside of the down tube and under the BB, I revised that to my liking. I also formed a Kydex sub down tube/BB bash plate to take the impact from any rocks that will fly off the front wheel and hit the lower section of the down tube.
The geometry was very close to the Muk (other than chain stay length) so I saw little change in handling, the chain stay was approx 1.2" longer than the Muk which does make a difference in steep, technical ascents, as the back wheel does have a bit less traction, and I can spin the back tire a bit.
I took delivery of the bike in early Dec 2015, so I currently have 2 months worth of riding on the bike with the factory wheels.
The Carbon wheels (Framed Carbon wheel set) will be here in 3 day and will be put to the test of the good old NE PA rocks, roots, and steep climbs of Area 51, and other local trails. These wheels should knock off 2.8 pounds of rotating mass, which is huge.
I will provide more updates as time goes on and miles are stacked up on the bike.