Access Chinook Charlie Fat Bikes

Access Chinook Charlie Fat Bikes

Monster truck features an aluminum frame, a tapered head tube and rigid fork. Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm rotors are required to slow the massive amount of rolling fat bike momentum while the 36/22 ringed 2x10 Shimano SLX drivetrain dishes out pedal stroke after pedal stroke of high quality performance and ascending or descending efficiency.

[Jan 12, 2015]
Marple200

Strength:

Decent components, low stand-over

Weight

This is my first fat bike. I did a lot of research, but was only available fat bike to test ride was the Specialized FatBoy, which I loved but couldn't really afford. However, there it was at the top of my comparison list as the bar to beat.
I ended up deciding on a Bikes Direct Motobecane Boris the Evil Brut sprung, but they were sold out until spring. Next was the rigid version, which I still had to wait to purchase.
Then I found out that Performance had some fat bikes and visited the store to find the Access Chinook Charlie and took it for a test ride. They had the bike on sale at $799 which is the price for the lower grade Chinook Bravo. I snatched it up quickly. Even if it had been priced at the typical sale price of $1299, it would be a good deal.
The bike weighed in at 35.6 pounds on my bathroom scale. Standover for the 19" frame is 29". Aluminum frame with tapered headtube. The bike is equipped with Shimano Deore hydraulic brakes, Shimano SLX Shadow Plus 2x10 drivetrain, Vee Rubber Mission Control (not the crappy standard Mission tires), and decent Performance brand seatpost, handlebar and stem. Basic platform pedals came stock. I changed to the grips which were crap and put on Deore XT M785 pedals.
The bike has been great. It rides over anything. While not a lightweight, it is comparable for the price to anything out there. Overall this bike is a great value even at the normal $1299 sale price.
The color is a kind of purplish gray with absolutely no identification except a small graphic of a chinook helicopter on the top tube near the head tube.
I bought the Performance Team membership for $30 which gave me a $80 credit. For my total payment of $830.77 (no tax in Delaware) I got an awesome fat bike and with follow-up purchase for my $80 credit (slightly used XT pedals), sweet stainless steel bottle cage and a digital pressure gauge.