Santa Cruz V-10 Downhill Full Suspension

Santa Cruz V-10 Downhill Full Suspension

It makes mountains into molehills. Two years on the drawing board, now fully realized in all its metal glory, the VPP-derived V10 signals the changing of the guard in suspension technology. Everything else just became old news. Featuring 10 inches of rear wheel travel, controlled jointly by a titanium sprung Progressive 5th Element shock and the revolutionary VPP linkage, the V10 smashed all of our preconceived notions about what constitutes downhill performance. Even when running an ultra-plush, mega-Barcalounger 4 inches of negative travel, the V10 still pedals without any bobbing and accelerates faster than any downhill bike has a right to. Heck, it accelerates faster than some cross country bikes we could name. And still devours every obstacle in its path.

Crafted from 6066 aluminum alloy, all pivots running on sealed cartridge bearings, featuring replaceable dropouts (not just hangers, bunky, the whole dang dropout. Shifting performance is key!), with a fully floating rear brake and the best shock money can buy, the V10 is a revolution unto itself. The future starts here. Don't get left behind.

[Feb 07, 2012]
TheAllCreator
Downhiller

Strength:

Long travel, immensely plush. Bombproof. Looks awesome. Pretty light, for an 07 model, I think the 3.6 kilo 888's weigh it back.

Not really anything I can think of. Perhaps the two bottom rear linkages, they are not sealed, so you can attract dust and mud into the hinges, which causes squeaking. It's eaisly fixed though, I did it my self with a set of allen keys and some RP7. Problem Solved.

Great bike, buy it now.
The first time I hit the local DH trails on a HT, I nearly died, but I had loads of fun. So, I decided to get a decent DH bike. I've wanted to own a Santa Cruz bike for ages, and this came up at a good price locally. So, after a quick test ride in a carpark, I decided that this was the most incredible bike I've ever ridden. I took it up to the local dh and WOW. So incredible. It handles well, and silently soaks up anything i can throw at it. This bike has already done 5 years of serivce for someone else, and I truly believe it could handle another 5 or more for me as well. I can not rate this bike highly enough.

This was the first downhill bike I'd ridden, and it is still the best.

[Aug 03, 2011]
Greenwood102
Downhiller

Strength:

Light, corners amazingly, geometry is perfect. Cant fault its riding

Bearings are pain in the ass and shock is hard to get to. If you crash the carbon link can basically dilocate, but its funny when it happens :)

I love this bike, i have it in medium and am growing out of it so im going to get a large, im not even going to bother trying another type of frame as it just cant get better than a V10.

All sorts

[Mar 14, 2011]
humid4de
Downhiller

Strength:

It has all the travel you can possibly need for the biggest drops you might encounter, it corners well.

Top Rear link breaks if you do too many flat landings and you cant bull the front of the bike easily (only in the air).

I originally puchased a Specialized Demo 8II 2010 size M and I couldn't adapt as well to a size M on the demo as the size M on my previous Specialized Bikes (Enduro Expert 2005 and BigHit FSR III 2007). I then swaped the Demo frame w/FOX DHX RC4 for the V-10 frame size L 2007 w/FOX DHX 5.0 and 700 euros, so it is basically a 2007 V-10 vith 2010 Demo 8II parts. The Demo cost me 3500 euros with a season done with one of the Specialized Portugal riders.

I'm rating this bike as great for now even though I'm sure that it is Outstandingly good I just havent ridden it enough yet.

[Dec 24, 2010]
The Captain
Downhiller

Strength:

A solid bike, extremely stiff and extremely fast. The 3 inches of sag in the rear sticks to the ground like nothing else I've ridden. The stability of this bike over everything is great, especially at speed. When one gets used to the travel, and learns how to rail this bike, it is utterly unstoppable.

Low speed maneuverability... You shouldn't be moving slow on it anyway though.
Tears of joy SEVERELY impede visibility.

Utterly purpose built downhill machine perfection. I don't always downhill, but when I do... I prefer the V-10.

Similar? No. Well meaning imitations? Yes.

[Nov 14, 2010]
Sean115
Downhiller

Strength:

SHREDS. I have been on some fun dh bikes but for some reason this one is the funnest, best dh bike I have ever ridden. Scary to finally be here, where your bike can do anything, its up to you now. You are the limiting factor in your riding. Not your bike. Get some 40's and an rc4 on their and ADJUST THEM PROPERLY and this bike will take everything you throw at it.

Maintenance on bearings can get irritating. If water gets in there, they rust, and start creaking. Re-building them lasts a while (months) but when they start creaking you must re-build. Be careful with the limit screws, stripping anything on this bike means you're out $3000 and on welfare.

I have been on some fun dh bikes but for some reason this one is the funnest, best dh bike I have ever ridden. Scary to finally be here, where your bike can do anything, its up to you now. You are the limiting factor in your riding. Not your bike. Get some 40's and an rc4 on there and ADJUST THEM PROPERLY and this bike will take everything you throw at it. Depending on your susp. set up, this bike will either plow like your grandmother's cadillac or bounce around like a pogo stick in case you want to ride some xc-ish stuff. The 10" might seem a bit much at times, but its nice to have it when you need it. You need it a lot more than you think. I also race on this bike. Which is what it was built for. This bike has given me the confidence to push myself to new levels. I would recommend this bike only to serious downhillers. People who race at an expert or professional level or are very serious about downhilling and want a bike that will give them the ride of their life.

Demo's, Dhr's, Sx Trail, etc.

[Jul 15, 2010]
chris tibbs
Downhiller

Strength:

verry strong and briliant to ride

i snaped it

brilliant bike a part from mi axedent

a wall

[Mar 30, 2010]
AndyV10
Downhiller

Strength:

EVERYTHING. It will take whatever you can throw as it, Jumps great, easy to pedal for a downhill bike and corners like its on rails

None at all

This bike took me a year to build and cost me a fortune, but it was worth every penny. If you can afford a V10 then forget about any other bike. I used to ride a 224 and that bike does not come close to a V10 it is in a totally different league, i couldnt belive the differance in the two the v10 will soak everything up that it hits and is so much faster and plusher than the 224, it is a majour confidance booster. Ive only rode it three times now and it really does feel like your riding the Rolls Royce of DH Bikes, cant wait to let her loose on fort bill and the alps

Orange 224 GBR

[Feb 06, 2010]
Arthur
Downhiller

Strength:

Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I rode, I knew such lovely pictures!

good one! hahahahahahahahaha!

This bike is a moon age daydream. Perfectly stable at speed, incredibly forgiving suspension. Sticks to the ground in turns because of the 3 inch sag... a proper bicycle. Delicious, get one.

Hummer H2

[Dec 14, 2009]
Drftn280zxt
Downhiller

Strength:

Everything! Light weight, excellent traction, amazing handling, super plush suspension, excellent brakes, pedals great thanks to the VPP suspension. Just point and shoot the bike and it will take what ever you can throw at it. The fox products have great adjustability and the included manuals are very helpful in setting them up for your preferences. The AVID ELIXIR brakes are ingenious. They have the most user friendly brake lever reach adjuster I have ever encountered on a hydraulic brake setup.

Comes with Presta valved tubes. Luckily the DT Swiss rims are pre-drilled for schraeder and have adapters in place for the Presta Tubes. Kenda Tires. Didn't have much luck in the past with them (I prefer Maxxis or some other brand)I will run them until they fail though. The upshifting engagement is a little stiffer than what I would prefer.
The E-thirteen guide is a little noisy, but I can live with it.

If cost is not a real big issue to you and you want the best downhill bike you can buy this is it. This is the Ferrari Enzo (or Bugatti Veyron, or Koenigsegg CCXR, or McLaren F1, you get the idea) of downhill mountain bikes. Lightweight design, superb handling capabilities, and state of the art suspension technology. If your like me and you don't want to mess around with lower quality bikes even though they are cheaper, you really can't go wrong with the V10. It's got credentials that few other bikes on the market can match. The outrageous ten inches of rear travel is very useable and contrary to the fear that is would just sink and bob through g-outs and under pedaling, it just doesn't. It uses its travel where it matters most, over bumps and on big-hits. This bike will boost your confidence level substantially. It may even make you overconfident because it can just plow through anything (with the suspension setup right). The myths are true that the rear suspension is so active (over rough terrain) that you can't tell its moving. Its like you just float over rocks and roots. As a mechanical engineer (I work in the medical instrumentation field) I can say that Santa Cruz really did their homework on this bike. The build quality is phenomenal. You feel very special purchasing one of these bikes too. They are made to order (one by one, there is no "batch" ordering). You even get a picture id and signature of the guy/girl at Santa Cruz that fabricated your frame. You support the American workforce since this bike is made right here in the USA. One thing to note you need to cycle the suspension A LOT to break in the fork. Bob on your suspension for a few minutes for a few days to get the seal stiction to dissipate. Give yourself a few runs down the mountain to dial in your suspension settings before making any judgment. Your suspension tuning will make or break your impressions of this bike. Once its broken in you will be amazed.

KHS Lucky7. KHS AM1000. Older FOES RACING DH Bike. IRONHORSE Sunday. (I borrowed all of these bike from friends for test rides the V10 is my first DH bike)

[Jun 17, 2009]
mtn_freeride

Strength:

Light (for a 10" frame), Responsive, Efficient, Strong, VPP, it is a Santa Cruz, Made in the USA

NONE

This is an absolutely amazing bike, super fast, strong in all situations...the quintessential DH race bike. I have loved this bike from the beginning and it excels in all types of DH racing. It pedals strong, corners on rails and descends with no trepidations. Race weight - 34.8lbs. The hands down best DH bike I have ever ridden.

Cannondale Judge, Giant Glory, Morewood Izumu