Santa Cruz Driver 8 Downhill Full Suspension

The Santa Cruz Driver 8 isn't meant to be a full-time, dedicated DH rig. Don't be mistaken; you wouldn't enter it in a road race, but it's lighter, livelier, and more snappy than the longer-travel V-10. 8 inches is still a whole lot of travel, so feel free to hurl your carcass off of much bigger drops than you're used to, but that isn't all it does. Santa Cruz designed the Driver 8 to accommodate a full 7 inches of seatpost adjustment, so you aren't stuck pushing if a little bit of climbing is n

Radical DH   [Nov 17, 2013]
Strength:

Epic, this bike is still my favorite, it is just a little heavy, but it is a downhill bike, so don't try using it going uphill. Super pedaling power, comfortable frame shape... really fun to jump with.

No real weaknesses apart from the fact that you cannot go uphill, but my home trail is Rothorn, and there is a lift to bring you and your bike up.

Still the best bike ever, even after all the BS of Specialized and Trek came out only because it was really stylish to do DH at that time, this is THE downhill bike people want, too bad Santa Cruz doesn't mass produce it anymore.

JBL123   Weekend Warrior [Nov 18, 2011]
Strength:

Strong, stiff, rails corners, stable and predictable in air, tons of seat post adjustment, downhill race capable, yet supper poppable and can easily be pedalled as an all mountain.

This is the best bike ever, I can't believe Santa Cruz discontinued it. Whistler is my local hill and this is the perfect bike. It absolutely eats downhill, rails corners is nimble and quick in tech sections and will sail anything you can send. And yes you can pedal it!!! The best time to get this bike was yesterday, so go and get one.

Similar Products Used: Norco Shore
Nanner11   Racer [Aug 02, 2011]
Strength:

Amazing ride, easy to handle, even with the weight i can cruz up a long climb just as well as many other xc bikes (a little bit of youth also helps)

A little heavy but for what its made to do it doesn't matter

The only thing slowing me down when i ride it is my brakes cause i feel like if i were fall of it would keep going and not slow down. it is so down and will go through anything. the first time i got on it i went over a curb and didn't even notice it, it'll absorb anything and keep going. Great bike.

beratlis   Cross Country Rider [Nov 08, 2010]
Strength:

Stout frame, killer looks.

Could only be the RIDER of this bike.

The best bike ever. It IS the best pedaling bike I have ridden. 41 lbs, but the way it pedals cancels any weight issues you may have. I XC this bike with no problem all the time. Wonder why I never see these bikes out there on the trails? Oh well, my little secret weapon I guess. BTW, it goes downhill like you wouldn't believe. See ya at N* (or any of the local trails too)

Similar Products Used: Vp Free, Kona Stinky, 2011 Boxxer Team
teichinger   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2010]
Strength:

Able to fly down and over any obstacle. Solid (at 41 lbs) yet set up well enough to out-climb many riders on bikes 10 lbs lighter and with 50-100mm less travel (need to be in shape, but it is worth it.)

Santa Cruz - no weekness, Foxx 30 RC has an annoying fork spring rattle as you hit misc bumps.

The best bike able to provide the combination of downhill and the ability to hit the technical obstacles and uphills. There is no comparison to the feel as you climb by bikers with 2-4 hinches less travel and 10 lbs less weight when they make the comment: Aren't you tired yet? I have ridden lighter bikes that don't measure up. Driver 8 is the closest bike to perfect in my book and it looks killer too. I say this even though my wife has a sweet 2010 Ibis Mojo SL that holds it's own.

Similar Products Used: 07 Specialized Enduro Pro (31 lbs 150mm travel), 06 Specialized Enduro Expert, (34 lbs 150mm travel)
rongarr   Downhiller [Mar 10, 2010]
Strength:

Everything ! It's a Santa Cruz need I say anything more?

I can't go as fast as the bike.

I can ride this bike anywhere (local trails climbing up etc...) and still have a legit kick ass downhill race bike
(and I'm fat & old!).
The new generation VPP enables this bike to accelerate better (yes, better) than my nomad, and the thing rails turns.
As usual, another bike from Santa Cruz that puts a smile on your face and inspires confidence.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz nomad
jotaro13   Downhiller [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

Plush, tough, great travel but pedals well, pops off lips, doesn't feel too much like a heavy bike. If you are not sure you need a full on race downhiller, but want something that will thrash and wont break, this is it.

Despite the possibility to raise the seatpost to a good pedaling position you only want to be pedalling it to the dop of your downhill run, not back up!

I built mine up with Totems but am going to put Boxxers on it to equal out the travel to 8 inches front and rear. If you use Totems be sure to run lots and lots of rear sag or you'll be front heavy. I didn't run quite enough perhaps and maybe my forks were a bit on the soft side but the result was that the front wheel occasionally Jack-knifed in tight corners, resulting eventually in a broken wrist! But I put it down to inexperience with set up. Outside of sharp cornering where handling was off it felt like an amazing bike.

Great bike, cant wait to get back on it when my wrist is better.