Kona Stab Supreme Downhill Full Suspension

Kona Stab Supreme Downhill Full Suspension

In the span of five years, the Stab Supreme won the World Championships twice, and added a silver and a bronze, while grabbing 10 World Cup wins and one overall World Cup Championship. That must be why it's one of the most imitated designs on the World Cup circuit. Hell, someone even borrowed the name. For 2010, we reduced frame weight, added tapered headtube and internal headset with oversized bearings for lower stack height, better rigidity, and more surface area to attach to downtube. Tighter cluster. D.O.P.E. System to eliminate brake jack. Adjustable BB height, geometry and ride characteristics. Shimano Saint, Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup fork, Sun rims. Basically, the lightest, fastest, raddest Stab we've ever made.

[Dec 09, 2013]
Craig

Strength:

I think it looks quite good. Nice geometry. You can pick them up really cheap nowadays.

Suspension - Has 8 inches of travel but feels more like 4. Numb, stiff and has an horrifying tendency to hang on square-edged ruts. Faux-bar linkage provides an awful kinematic with a vertical axle path and very little progression meaning it is stiff and unresponsive to small hits and trail chatter such as braking bumps but does not hesitate to blow through all of its travel on any drop bigger than a couple of feet. Snapped my lower shock mount on the hip replacement jump at Fort William (not a very large jump and I'm not heavy and I don't go massive). Tried with a DHX 5.0, DHX RC4 and a Marzocchi Roco RC WC and it felt bad with all of them, although I reckon the Roco was the best of the bunch.

Weight - I had a fairly average build with MTX33s and Fox 40s and it still weighed 49lbs. Not only this but the weight was all centred around the weird rear triangle, leaving your weight positioned far too far forward on jumps just to prevent landing on your back wheel constantly.

The DOPE arm means that 99/100 wheels will not fit as it occupies the axle making the spacing 137x12. Thus it is an absolute nightmare to find a hub which can be modified to fit. Any curious Stab owners out there, the only hubs I can confirm are compatible are the Hope Pro 2, Funn Bullet and the Sun Ringle Abbah Lawwill.

Buy one if you get it really really really cheap. Otherwise avoid like the plague as it feels lifeless and is worryingly prone to breaking. Kona fanboys will be quick to deny their reputation but it exists for a reason; Konas are (or rather were) heavy, fragile and wholly awful.

Commencal supreme dh v2, giant glory, cove shocker dh, norco atomik, scott voltage fr30, specialized enduro expert evo, mondraker summum, mongoose black diamond

[May 01, 2012]
Emlyn Shepherd

Strength:

Probably the best downhill bike ever made and you'll always get complimented on it

Weighs an absolute tonne and takes an army to load it to the roof rack but that's the only weakness

I bought my 2007 Stab Supreme about a year ago off eBay and what a bargain of a bike. It's abilities to push my downhill boundries are amazing and it's very forgiving.
The wheels it came with were rubbish but have since been replaced with a Spike on the rear and a Halo SAS up front. The Hayes Nines are very responsive but could have done with braided hoses. The chainset is very good and solid. I've got some Bomber 888's up front and they're very good, much better than the Boxxers I've had on there in the past.

There's not much more to say about this bike really apart from the fact it was a bargain and had got me back into downhill riding again.

[Nov 30, 2011]
WestCoastWins
Downhiller

Strength:

Weight, flickable, adjustable geometry, unique

I with it came with a direct mount stem, but that is a personal choice.

I was riding a 2008 Demo 8 but after a couple of years of abuse it was time for a new ride. I like the Demo, but wanted something different. The Kona really delivers. This bike rips. The rear end is very sturdy, and the suspension soaks up everything. The first day on the Kona I beat my fastest time on the speci. This bike is best for those that like to bomb the hill, and huck as much as possible...this bike loves abuse. This bike may not be for everyone, but it works for me. Simple effective rear suspension without the maintenance headache of a horst link. Brake jack is non existant, and it will climb if you have too, but I didn't buy it to climb. Good value for the components, and I like not having the same bike as everyone else.

Demo 8, Devinchi

[Feb 20, 2009]
badbadleroybrown
Downhiller

Strength:

Simple design without a lot of ancillary pivots to develop play, super stiff laterally. Takes a beating and keeps asking for more.

Weight, Stinkys & Stabs could both use a serious diet. I've pretty much run out of places to trim anymore weight and I'm stuck at 43.88 lbs.

90% of riders out there couldnt tell you the difference between a horst link, dw link, or vpp if you offered them money... but those same jackasses will gladly bash Kona for using an outdated design in favor of all those others that they dont understand.

If you want people to think you're cool, dont get this bike... stay far away from it.

If you want a real MOUNTAIN bike that can take a beating and ride out of it without a plethora of links that always need to be tightened or bearings that need to be replaced, this is the bike for you.

Are there bikes that pedal better, yes. Are there bikes that are more plush, yes. Are there cheaper bikes, yes. That said, for what you get for the money you spend this bike is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on...

SC Bullit, SC V-10, SC VP-Free, Intense 6.6, Norco A-Line, Rocky Mountain Flatline, Specialized Demo 8

[Jul 01, 2008]
Patryk
Downhiller

Strength:

Fast, pedal great (much, much better than V-10), stable in the air and much better jumper the my former bike. Really good racing mashine.

Weight! Put him on diet and you will have extra DH racing bike. Also I do not like Maxxis 3C. I do not know why but I do not feel it. Maxxis 40a or 42a are much better for me and tried Intense Light DH FRO and see extra, extra improvement. Intense tyres are great.

Now, I have some nice experienced with my bike and I am so happy that I changed it from V-10 to my Stab Supreme Fabien Barel Edition.
Pedal great, suspension works perfect....
I tell you what VPP, Maestro, DW-Link and so on. It is all marketing. I tested also Commenciall which has no virtual pivot bla bla bla suspension and it also for me felt much better than V-10. I somehow know my bike better during race and can react. I do not say Santa Cruz is bad bike. Not at all. But for me and my very personal preferense this one is better. Also feels lighter on DH. It is much easier to jump over the roots or rocks.

[Jun 26, 2008]
Eugene Kara
Downhiller

Strength:

Good looking Bike, Good geometry, Quality parts, takes a good thrashing. Good DH bike for the price.

Frame strength, top tube has a crack in the same place as two other 07 stabs in town.
Total bike weight(Pretty heavy if you like light bikes but i"m not fussed)

The bike has proven its worth. I've had alot of fun on it so far and will continue to when the new frame comes in.
If you can get through all the red tape with the warranty then hopefully a new frame will come through (Keep in mind Kona only warrant their DH/FR frames for 1 year)even if you're a couple of weeks out as I was with my stinky they will not replace.
Awesome bike but I might be looking at a V10 for the next up grade.

06 Kona Stinky (Frame craked on that one too)

[Aug 30, 2007]
Jeff Thornton

Strength:

If you like standing around with your hands in your pockets watching other peaple ride there downhill bike.Buy one.
If you like getting jerked around buy some guy in kona usa warranty dept. Buy one.
Don't buy a kona they do not stand behind there frames!!!!!

Kona does not stand behind there frames.
Do not buy a 2007 kona. There frames are hard to ride with 5 cracks on the head tube and 1 on the bottom bracket.

Do not buy a 2007 kona stab supreme. The frame completely failed. After 2 mounths of riding (maybe 16 days) i found 5 1 inch cracks on the head tube and 1 on the bottom bracket. The cracks were not from a crash. Through the hole process they were not interested in doing anything but selling me a new one for $700.00. After many conversations with me and the shop owner they agreed to send a new frame. It seems pathetic that it would take two kona frames to get through a 5 month season. I will never ride a kona again and i would recommend any one interested in a kona think twice. That head tube was realy close to completely coming off. I would not trust one again.

Buy any downhill bike that the company stand behind there product.

[Jul 12, 2007]
Bill
Downhiller

Strength:

Bulletproof frame, tracks well off the brakes, steady in the air, inspires confidence, and people dig the looks.

Still noticable brake chatter even with the floating brake, noticable brake jacking, and the frame is pretty heavy.

When I first built the bike it weighed 44lbs with Atomlab Trailpimp rims and Hayes El Caminos, and it was a slow POS that had super brake fade. Now that I have tubeless wheels, Formula brakes, and a battery of light but strong componenets, the bike weighs 39lbs and it is scary fast. My riding style is more suited for a bike like the Commencal Supreme, and I can't get used to the brake chatter and jacking of the Kona. I won't buy another Stab Supreme, but I don't plan on getting rid of this one either. Kick ass bike for huckers.

Haro DHR (Intense), Rocky Mountain RM7 DH, Older Kona Stab, Karpiel Disco Volante, Commencal Supreme DH

[Feb 08, 2007]
Mals

Strength:

Really well balanced bike, well specked (except for the crap hand grips) and handles beautifully

None that I'm aware off so far

Although initially I didn't want to buy yet another Kona (about the 4th one I've bought), you can't go past it for value for money and performance. I test rode a couple of other DH bikes but none of them felt as comfortable as the Stab. For me it's a bike that has allowed me to experience downhill in a whole new light.
The Stab handles well and I have had absolutely no problems in any aspect of it's performance. Floating rear brake makes a massive difference and the Fox 40's and DHX 5 shocks are really smooth.
As for Gweneth's comments, I think Kyle summed it up pretty well - love your work Kyle.

Coiler deelux

[Nov 25, 2006]
ern

Strength:

Love it!

Maybe a little too much travel(key word MAYBE)

AWESOME BIKE!!!