Intense 951 Downhill Full Suspension

Intense 951 Downhill Full Suspension

The 951 is intended for downhill racing, used by World Cup professionals and domestic weekend warriors, the 951 also excels as a recreation/park bike, this bike pedals better than a M9 and has a "livelier? feel as it does not sit into the travel as much as the M9. This bike will jump/hop obstacles well and is very snappy out of corners . The leverage ratio starts out very high and ramps up at the end of the stroke. This gives a very plush feel in the initial travel and progressively gets firmer as it goes through the travel. Features: -1.5? head tube -Adjustable travel from 8? to 8.5?. Travel swap has no effect on geometry -83mm bottom bracket width, ISCG-05 tabs are machined with the bottom bracket shell -Next generation VPP linkages for even better pedaling efficiency, angular contact bearings and Zerk fittings on lower link -Fox DHX RC2 shock stock; Cane Creek Double Barrel shock upgrade options available -Custom color paint options also available

[Apr 02, 2014]
Zac

Strength:

Looks truly awesome. Light frame. Corners very well. Pedals very well too.
The frame pedals very efficient for 8" travel. The 8.5" setting makes the frame feel wallowy, it sits fairly far into the travel. Its also very supple - but ramps up very hard, making the frame super resistant to harsh bottom outs.
The frame feels poppy at higher speed and jumps exceptionally well. Its easy to launch the frame of little lips.
The frame can also handle a point and shoot approach, but one needs to watch out clipping pedals as it gets real low.
Overall it rides really well in my opinion.

They crack if they're ridden hard. You see some that don't crack, but are usually ridden gently by lighter guys.

I think Intense has poor frame alignment. I have had 3 intense frames misaligned, namely the wheel slightly out of line with seat post.

Poor ISCG placement disallowing proper guide rotation and lack of guide options. E13 works but lower roller is vulnerable to rocks.

Overall I very much enjoy riding the 951

morewood, orange,

[Dec 27, 2012]
Josh

Strength:

I can say i've on done a few run on a mates 951 FRO, and it rides like a dream. BB is super low, rails turns, plush but very progressive and playful. It's light..to light....

They have a tendency to CRACK! have a look at the forums on MTBR, there a lots and lots of failed 951s, particularly at the link and the chain stays (2 right through the down tube!). Said friend cracked his through the stays and the g3 link.

This is somewhat typical of intense. I believe Intense make great bikes, however due to being hand built, the quality control is not as great as the big brands (ie giant, who still have issues, but alot less and are all common). So you might get a good frame or you may get a misaligned lemon. Intense have been known to help out so it's not all bad. That is all.

[Mar 19, 2011]
Jeff shep

Strength:

Very strong, fast in out of switch back, sweet in the air.

None :)

This bike is sweet, fast smooth, rails corners, and mint in the air

Driver 8, v10

[Dec 08, 2010]
Mudd
Downhiller

Strength:

The faster you take it, the more stable and flickable it gets! Love the progressive feel of the rear suspension. The more I ride it, the better rider I become! G3 dropouts and rear travel adjustability. 83 mm BB. VPP suspension sticks to the ground like velcro. 1-1/2" headtube.

Q-factor limits your crankarm selection.

The 951 is the natural progression of ride rigs for someone who likes to aim at the nastiest obstacles on the DH circuit. For me, with the Hammerschmidt setup, I can go AM on this 8-1/2" travel rig and still rock the rocks, and climb to the top! For me, it's the "natural progression" coming off a Santa Cruz VP-Free/Socom and a V-10. The 951 has the best attributes of both V-10 and the Socom/VP-Free platforms.

Santa Cruz V-10, VP-Free, Nomad, Bullit, Intense Socom and M3.

[Oct 20, 2010]
Downhiller

Strength:

piece of art

----

this bike make me all days happy!!

------

[Jul 27, 2010]
stejam

Strength:

This bike rails corners and is so easy to handle in the air,

None yet noted

I feel this is the best DH bike i have ever through my leg over, the bike weighs in at 38.5 lbs

Gaint Glory, Iron Horse sunday, Demo 8 and Santa Cruz V10

[Nov 01, 2009]
dhmacko91
Downhiller

Strength:

speed, cornering, jumping

cant find any weaknesses yet...

overall the bike is amazing, the cornering on it is unreal. ive had the bike for in and around 3/4 months now and i cant find a problem with it! the bike is very very plush when you first sit on it, but when riding it doesnt feel as plush as you would think. the bike soaks up every bump and carrys speed very well, also the frame is abnormally light!
great purchase could not be happier!

ironhorse sunday

[Jul 06, 2009]
ekripper
Downhiller

Strength:

braking, cornering, stable at speed and in the rough.

need more time on bike to find any weakness.

Got a chance to run the 951 demo bike on my favorite local dh runs. When first sitting on the bike it felt very soft/plush in the begining of the stroke. I was a little leary of this initially. After a couple of corners though I was completely comfortable on this bike. The bike squats right down under braking allowing you to really carry more speed into the corners. It really eats up the choppy stuff at high and low speeds well. It took tight corners very well considering it was on the longest setting for the wheel base. It feels pretty lively as well. Not quite as nimble as my 303r but still very poppy and fun! By the second run I was able to carry more speed through all sections of the run than on my 303r which I've been on for a couple of months. For me, this bike just felt amazing and gave me a ton of confidence. This bike could definetly drop time on my race runs! I love my Yeti, but I ordered a 951 today as well. Fastest, most fun DH bike I've thrown a leg over!

Yeti 303rdh, demo 8, Yeti ASX, Rocky Mtn. RMX