Ellsworth Dare Downhill Full Suspension

Ellsworth Dare Downhill Full Suspension

Boasting 229 mm of ICT tuned travel combined with low and slack geometry, the Dare is an uncompromised, lightweight downhill race machine. Less is more by today's standards and the Dare is no exception. The all new CNC machined rockers are the strongest and lightest ever produced. Easily capable of being built up as a sub 36 lbs. race bike, the Dare accelerates in and out of corners like no other. A finely tuned missile known for it's magical handling, stiff rail like maneuverability and snappy acceleration-the Dare remains fully active whether on the brakes or the gas. And when you're done tearing up the race course, tackle the steepest, roughest backcountry around. We Dare You. ICT? Technology: Instant Center Tracking? is internationally patented and quantifiably the most energy-efficient suspension design in the world, period. Internationally acclaimed, ICT four-bar linkage technology provides up to 100% pedal power efficiency by aligning the instant center of the linkage on the chain torque line and continually tracking it throughout the range of travel. What does that mean in layman?s terms? It means ICT allows pedal power to propel the rider forward without power loss, effectively avoiding the common suspension design flaw that divides pedal inputs into a wasteful combination of forward and vertical (jacking or bobbing) motions. ICT-equipped bikes are legendary for their rare combination of responsive performance and plush suspension that can be found nowhere else. All ICT-equipped bikes feature 12mm pivot axles and oversized bearings for superior pivot stability and lateral stiffness under power. Our commitment to raising the limits of suspension technology, innovation and performance. Please note- downhill bikes are not buildable on the Wrenchscience website due to variances with chain guides, cranks and bottom brackets. If you have any questions about building a bike that does not use a traditional front deraileur and shifter, please call Wrench Science and a sales associate will be happy to assist you.

[Mar 27, 2012]
giddyupandover
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

It is a beautiful U.S. made frame, nice lines, strengths where they should be,awesome camo. color (the frog is a nice touch), NICE detail to welds, came with 2 (chain slap protectors), strong bearings

The ONLY thing I wish they did was a through axle for the rear, "QR "just doesn't sound right for a downhill machine, although it has not been an issue

I don't know why all the neg. stuff, this is a 2010 frame, I weigh 150+, ride like a spaz and have done some silly crap with it too and have " 0" complaints

Foes Fly,Titus

[Sep 21, 2010]
Paco

Strength:

Great suspension design and functions well, until it breaks.

manufacturing and customer service.

Awesome bike, but at the price I can't afford to buy a product that's going to break and then deal with a company that doesn't stand by their product. Why would they charge cost for a replacement front triangle when the frame supposedly had a lifetime warranty? If only Santa Curz or Turner could oversee the building of Ellsworth bikes and run the customer service department as well.

Santa Cruz Bullet

[Feb 16, 2004]
Marzman1
Downhiller

Strength:

The frame is Scwheet!! The attention to detail! Strong design, anodized Blue finish, nice laser etched graphix, 20mm rear axle, no flex, ISCG tabs on the BB. Pedals awesome! Accelerates like you wouldnt believe! Should be awesome at high speed, with the slack HT.

I dont really have anything bad to say about it! I waited a long time for this rig!! I only wish i had more colro choices. I would have loved to have the Dark Blue or Red annodized color!! Oh, rear shock is a lil bit hard to get to, for adjustments! But its worth it in the end!! This frame is just kick A$$! Buy One, if you want to freeride, or do some Dh Races!!

This frame rocks! Totally awesome ride!! So, plush! Accelerates like a dragster, soaks up everything you can throw at it. Stairs you dont hardly feel, takes a bit of getting used to with so much travel. This frame has been totally re-done from the 2002 models. 2003 frames ended up coming out in 2004, due to making all the needed changes, test riders requested. Its going to be alot more DH race worthy, due to the really slack steering. If you really want a hot riding frame, that pedals and climbs with ease, then you may want to invest in this ride! Should be awesome, for all kinds of riding! I will post again after a few more months and a couple of Dh races. This was worth all the wait for me!! Buy one if you, have the chance!! By, the way the Dh rear end only lets you run a single ring up front, and Freeride rear lets you run a triple or double or single! Its all good! Enjoy the ride! Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions! Ride Hard, Always wear a helmet!

03 Santa Cruz v10, 03 Bullit,02 Turner Dhr, 02 Ells Id, 03 Banshee Scream, etc..

[Feb 19, 2004]
Von Williams
Downhiller

Strength:

Light, new better geometry for 04', excellent pedaller, versatile. New 8mm shock mounts and beefed up for 04'. Full DH worthy rig.

Lower shock mount bolt faces the wrong way, can't use a Progressive or a Manitou Swinger shock.

If you want a light, snappy, good pedaling bike for DH/Freeride use, this frame should be at the top of the list. If you are a hucker that breaks your stuff all the time, you may want to look elswhere. If finess and a light nimble style that wants to blast downhill is your deal, order one up!

Ridden/tested almost every DH bike out there.

[Mar 08, 2004]
Nick

Strength:

Quality built, and workmanship. Climbs really great for a freeride bike. Very plush ride, very little to no bob when peddleling really hard, other than that no bob. Best handling bike I've ridden to date.

None. Only if you are concerned about wieght.

I have the 2003 version of the Dare, which has only 8" of rear travel, still thats quite a bit of travel! I've set up the bike as a freeride, weighs in at 39lbs. I just got it this weekend, and took it for a 4 hour spin up in the east bay hills near Mt.Diablo state park, so this review is a prelimanary one, basically my first impressions on the bike. 80% of that 4 hour ride was done going up very steep hills, on very rough terrain, fire trails, and single tracks. What really impressed me is how well the bike climbed, the tires were glued to the ground not once did my front end lift up, and not once did I loose traction. This bike weighs 14lbs more than my Blur so i was'nt use to the extra wieght, that being said I did'nt mind the extra weight, bottom line if you got the legs this bike will take you up any climb that an XC racer will, though mabe not as fast, bobbing up hill was a none issue very,very little if any, to be honest I really did'nt feel any bob. This has to be the most stable bike I've ever riden going up or down. It eats up any kind of terrain, gravel, rocks, roots, really deep ruts, mud, really big pot holes, and begs for more. Going down it's really plush, and begs to be ridden faster than you might be able to go, and again very stable. It steers with confidence on any tight switchback I encountered again really stable. Bottom line is I guess I really like this bike, if you don't mind the wieght or the high price I highly recommend this bike.

SC Blur, though not a good comparisome, ones a trail bike the other a free ride or down hill bike.

[Aug 31, 2005]
phil mcivor

Strength:

it's light and pedals surprisingly well.

it's too light. i ovalized the head tube after only eight days riding. and did it just landing a jump. in the frame's defense, it came with a regular king headset. it should have a deep cup for sure.
mine is an 02. i haven't looked at the new ones. i hope they are built a bit better.

this is a light dh frame. i'm not sure what the designers were thinking but it should be beefed up in a few spots. great suspension design but not very well thought out for an expensive american made dh frame.

tried lots of different rigs

[Jun 18, 2005]
Emma

Strength:

Pedals like a dream, but is the smoothest DH bike I've ever ridden. And it looks good!

Just price, but I got mine used, so it was cheaper. It's been worth every penny.

I probably don't deserve the bike, but it's very forgiving. I'm a XC racer, so I don't get a lot of time early season to ride it, but I've had it for a little over a year and have definitely gotten my money's worth. I live near a ski resort that opens in the summer for DH, so I don't pedal it uphill much, but when I have, there has been no effect from the suspension on pedaling. I borrowed a friends Kona Something (can't remember) while at a race, and was disgusted. The Dare pedals like nothing else, and flys "like a bat out o' hell."

Borrowed bikes- Some Kona, Specialized Big Hit...

[Aug 19, 2005]
steve
Downhiller

Strength:

-Quality in workmanship of the frame
-frame solid as a rock
-stiff
-new design for 2005
-welds
-ICT technology
-the DHX 5
-very comfortable
-...it's an Ellsworth
-You won't see these frames a lot in France: Today 3 models of the new Dare.....

-Price: But hey, the frame will last you for a long time !! And that's the price of the quality....even cheaper than Other DH frames...

Have it for only 1 month.....and is the best bike i've ever ridden !! Frame is very stiff, doesn't weigh a lot( for a Freeride/DH frame), pedals VERY well too: It feels much more better than my Bullit (The ICT's Ellsworth system and the DHX 5 is a very good system: the bike doesn't bob at all, like a strong all mountain bike, and when you seat on your saddle and you need to pedal, the bike accelerate very quickly !!!) ,Corners like a dream and is very stable at High speed too. In technical descents, i can move it easier 'cause of the frame's geometry( Your legs can go over the top tube easily). Fork seem to be a good one, but hey...this is my first Double crown DH fork !!El camino's stop the bike at very high speed and have a good feeling 'cause of the possibility to change the power that you need on the lever...
Best and beautiful bike i've ever had, low maintenance( i've heard it of older dare owner's), excellent finish, ...you can do what you want with it: From DHing to Freeriding...and even all mountain !!!! Nice bike Tony !!

-tried Demo's, Foes,....
-Heared some histories of Intense's or Sant cruz's owner

[Jun 08, 2004]
ryan steele

Strength:

Weight, low center of gravity, cool grafix and the aura it possess. All sealed bearing pivots. The 'I refuse to flex' attitude.

lower shock bolt; you have to remove the cranks to get to.
Bike came with a light 350 lb spring. I'm 6'2" 210 lbs. I ordered a 550lb and all is good.
$$$$ but who cares anyway. I wanted it.
If this is a weakness the bike took almost three weeks to get after ordering.

I took it for some urban the same night I finished the build. I did a 14' stair gap and it was like riding on flat ground. Dropps of less than 5 foot to flat are almost unnoticeable.
I then took if for a spin down hill. The bike ate up anything and everything I tried. Rock gardens, roots, steep decents, mud and rock gardens on steep decents in the mud. It rained the night before.
With the plush active rear end, the geometry, low center riding technical is made to be almost to easy.
I'm dialed in at 39.0 lbs!! I plan on getting harder cased tires so that will add 1-2 lbs. That is still light for the strengh and hit absorbtion ability this bike has.
The main reason for pennying up for this bike is the fact that my main ride is my ID. I needed something to compliment that and be able to take what the ID could not.
If you do or do not have the money for this bike you shoud step up and get one.
It is one mean BAD A$$ bike and it will make you do things just to satisfy itself.

This is not a shop owner review!
I really bought it and rode it like it was intended to be rode (hard and fast but not put away wet, well maybe a little wet).

E'worth ID, S'Cruz Bullit

[Aug 06, 2004]
Whafe

Strength:

The fact that it looks loke sex on toast..... How well it pedals uphill, in New Zealand we have to pedal up in order to get down. Overall built quality.

I guess the price, if you could call that a weakness. Sometimes things are priced this way because they are upt here with the best.

Had my shoulder reconstructed the day I got back to Auckland with this bike, so have sat and stared at it for 5 weeks, hard work I tell ya. Have had a couple of urban type rides along our waterfront. Thus far have been well impressed with its pedaling ability, up hill it has performes how I wanted, almost nil bob. Jumped off a few walls which were around 5 -6 feet, could not get over how smooth this lands, hardly realise you have left the ground and then come back in contact again. I purchased this bike because can no longer ride moto cross and wanted to treat myself. It is not by any means a cheap bike, but wanted the full monty. Seriously if you want what I would deem the best, get yourself one of these babies. Am sure you will be as stoked as me.

Kona Sex One, Specilized BigHit Expert, Marin