Chumba Racing F5 Downhill Full Suspension

The F5 will incorporate new technology that makes the bike stiffer, lighter, and stronger. The new innovation will move the center of gravity of the bike even lower and the bike will handle in an extremely nimble and light manner.

Adam   All Mountain Rider [Dec 30, 2012]
Strength:

Super smokth through rock gardens, I just lean back and glide up to the guy in front! Jumps amazingly well. As an ex motocrosser, this bike is perfect for me. Goes down Fort William as fast as you can handle!

Heavy, pedal bob

I have a CCDB shock with BOS Idylle forks. Absolutely amazing bike. Just a dream to ride.

Tom S.   Downhiller [Oct 16, 2009]
Strength:

Pedaling: very little bob with Fox pro pedal set up properly. Extremely responsive.
Suspension design: With the single pivot design plus the linkage you get time tested motocross suspension plus the adjustability of the head angle with the different length dogbones.

Somehow I got water in the frame, still haven't figured out how.

At Whiteface 5K downhill there was a section of rutted and whooped out rocks, roots and mud, I was blasting this section wide open, just leaning back and letting the bike do all the work. It felt just I was back on my motocross bike. This bike looks a little funny at first without the linkage to take up the space above the back tire to the seat, but the dimensions of the bike were the same as my Kona, which I loved until I rode the Chumba.

Similar Products Used: Kona Stab Supreme
Specialized Demo 8
kona kid   Downhiller [Mar 28, 2009]
Strength:

-Dialed geometry
-VERY plush and supple
-Handles beautifully
-Smooth and progressive rear travel

-Frame is semi-heavy (11lbs), but I can't notice it when I'm on the trail
-Doesn't pedal super well, but hey, it's a DOWNHILL bike

The geometry on the F5 feels so perfect. The head angle is slack enough to handle VERY well at high speeds, but it still corners like a champion on tight trails. I cannot emphasize how well it handles high speeds. It is very stable in the air. The rear suspension is SO smooth, and has a nice progressive feel. Very supple over small bumps and rocks, but it ramps up very nicely on bigger hits. I know I have bottomed out my F5 a few times, but I have never felt any metal-on-metal clank. This bike is amazing for DH

Also, Chumba's customer service is incredible. They offered me my bike for COST, after I told them my old bike got jacked. I promised Chumba I wouldn't tell any one how much it cost me, so that's why it says $0000. Tim, Brian, Allan, you guys kick ass! They answered all of my questions about my bike, and hooked me up!

If you're in the market for a solid DH rig that's going to last MANY seasons, look at the Chumba F5. You'll be glad you did

Similar Products Used: -Kona Stinky
-Kona Stab
-Specialized Demo
-Norco A-Line
matt   Downhiller [Apr 23, 2007]
Strength:

light,low centre of gravity,stiff,very unique suspension design,corners like no other...general looks.

no iscg tabs,pedal bop,floating brake caliper not well thought out.

after two rides i can tell you that this is the best bike i've owned...the suspension feel is so progressive and mixed with the low centre of gravity makes it very composed and balanced,i'm still in the process of finding the best shock setup but i think that the factory 300lbs spring is a little soft for me.all in all this bikes a real dh beast but there are a couple things i don't understand first-no iscg tabs...a frame of this quality should come standard with iscg tabs this is a non-sense and we had to machine the iscg adaptor (thanks to e-13) to fit the suspension pivot...
second-for a bike this price and it came as a surprise to me after the first wash,the suspension hardwear bolts are not even stainless,so after the first wash the were rusty...how much can 4 stainless bolts cost?

the negative aspects DOESN'T affect the unbelievable performence of the f5 but are a bit confusing in terms of life expectency of the frame...

Similar Products Used: brodie thumper,kona stinky,norco a-line,norco team dh,devinci 8flat8.
matt   Racer [May 07, 2007]
Strength:

this is a follow up review after the first lift access dh week-end of the year.

i am please that nothing went wrong with the bike,no mechanical issues at all,the bike is really what i was expecting and more...cornering, rock gardens,progressiveness of the suspension design and general feel are the highlight of the f5.

the only lowpoint is in the pedaling department,when you want to accelarate at low speeds their is a great amount of pedal bop and makes it difficult to pick up speed as fast as i want.