Cannondale Gemini 3000 Downhill Full Suspension

jaime correa   Downhiller [Feb 03, 2004]
Strength:

this bike will read your mind and do what you want, when you want it, from xc all the way to downhill

the rider keep confusing his intentions with his abilities

there nothing you cant do on this bike,(ask cedric gracia)I even did a 12hr race 2yrs in the row, solo category and took first place both times.is great to listen to the xc racers on their 24lbs bikes during the 1st lap and again after 11 laps (2nd place did only 9 laps on a litespeed ti bike,,,,22.5 lbs)the gemini will take you as far as your courage and/or lack of common sense want to go

Similar Products Used: 02 gemini 1000. 02 bullit. 01 stinky five. 03 azzonic saber
Jesse McCollum   Downhiller [Feb 02, 2005]
Strength:

the stock bike is perfect for downhill racing, and hardcore freeride... might just swap out dual chainring for a single with an e-13 guide.

triple 8 is alittle weird at first, but now it rocks. Manitou 4 way is just butterly smooth.

this bike just floats over everything... 8 foot to flat drops... no problem, 20 footer to tranny... too easy. This bike is perfectly balanced. Even though you all will hate me for the how little I paid, this bike with worth every single cent of the full retail price. The ringle hub is super loud... I guess it makes you keep pedaling to shut it up though, so it's all good.

Similar Products Used: demo9, foes fly, haro DHR
frslovak   Downhiller [Jun 18, 2004]
Strength:

Frame, rear schock, cranks, fork, brakes, wheels

Um, nothing yet

This bike totally rocks. I raced it up at Snowshoe and totally ripped the course. The frame is responsive (a trait of C'dales), and the rear shock keeps the rear tire gluedto the ground once you get it set up for your weight and riding terrain. In the corners the Gemini is like a spring, scrubbing off just enough speed and then springing out of the corners. Pedaling downhill actually helps maintain control and is encouraged by the high bottom bracket and responsive seven inches of travel.

When it comes to jumping and/or dropping the Gemini excels. It's light for a downhill bike (43 lbs stock), and it shows when manuevering the bike through the air. Setting the rebound a little slower allows you to hit drops that are perhaps a little too big for you. Overall, this bike totally rips the trails, whether you're dropping off a 7 foot rock face or pedaling down a muddy NORBA course.

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain RM7
Michael Staples   Downhiller [Nov 19, 2005]
Strength:

Seems to be well built. I like the handling. Quality workmanship.

Read below. Also, I'm not overly impressed with the Sherman forks for DH. To be fair, the 3000 is billed as a Freeride bike, and the DH probably has a different set of forks. I would go with the dual crown forks (having taken a couple of endos I think were due to those Shermans). Also, I think the 3000 sits too high for a DH bike. Again, maybe the Cannondale DH has a lower BB. For DH, you need to lower your seat and have a reasonbale standover height -- which I don't have with the 3000. So before you buy, make sure you can lower the seat, reach the ground with your feet, and not have your knees too far up into your chin when you pedal (which you don't do all that much anyway in DH).

I've had this bike about two years. Put it through a lot of hard miles: Downieville 2 or 3 runs a weekend. DH races. Northstar many times. Smashed it up plenty on local rockbeds, thrashed down many school staircases... But the fact is that it has been in the shop more than under my butt. It goes down hill fine, but there is something wrong with the peddling that no-one can figure out. It skips, it pops, it clanks. It's been to maybe 5 different shops repeatedly. Replaced the chain, the chainrings, the rear cluster...and the cables (many times -- because that's what everything thinks it is). The last shop I took it to just threw their hands up after repeated trys and said it was a desgn flaw...not with the drive-train, but with the bike itself. And this was a former Cannodale dealer (maybe with an axe to grind, but I don't think so).

I don't know if it is the Cannondale itself, or the E13 combination. Initially, we got the E13 setup wrong because we didn't know the E13 required a 100mm axel -- so we had to replace the bottom bracket. But that was the least of my worries. I have had nothing but trouble with this bike, and I have spent enought to buy a new bike trying to get the drive-train to work. Tomarrow I', cutting my losses and looking seriously at an Intense M3. A lemon is a lemon. I'm giving the bike 2 chilis because it rolls down hills and takes drops well. I guess that's worth a couple of Chilis. My advice, though, is that because of the cost of the bike, you might do better with something else in the DH arena...maybe an M3 or one of the new Santa Cruz DH bikes.

Similar Products Used: M3, Kona (several), Big Hit, Demo 9, Foes...etc.