Canfield Brothers Formula 1 Jedi Downhill Full Suspension

Canfield Brothers Formula 1 Jedi Downhill Full Suspension

7.75” travel speed machine. With 2.5” of rearward travel this frames feels as smooth as a 10” plow bike but with 7.75” bike nimbleness. The chainstays start extra short at 16.25” which maintains it’s quick, sharp, lively feel.

Zero chain stretch and squatting under braking.

20mm bearings with custom axles. 10lbs frame and shock.

[May 26, 2015]
monkies
Downhiller

Strength:

Great look. Fun and agile.

None really.

I'm not a pro dh racer or anything...I ride jumps, but not hucking huge cray stuff (A-Line type trails). That being said, this bike has been a great jumper for me. It is poppy and nimble, and it is oddly fast...I don't know why I have to brake check so much coming into jumps with this beast! The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the bike I felt the most at home with has been the Demo 8...I literally can get on that bike and ride it like I've had it for ages. That being said, the uniqueness and ride on my Jedi is fantastic, so I have no regrets.

Demo 8, Turner Highline

[May 26, 2014]
xetal

Strength:

This bike is FAST. Stiffffff rear end. It is confidence inspiring, first thing youll be doing is monster truck all the gnar that you use to go around. It does accelerate everywhere. The pedalling is quite good as well.

Trying to find one.

I rarely write reviews. But for the JEDI i had to. This bike is truly the best bike i have ever ridden. It felt home on the first lap. It is plush and stable. It will eat everything. The price is quite high but the reward buying it is even higher.

Riding dh since 20 years over. Tried all the bikes out there.

[Dec 25, 2012]
daynegrant

Strength:

Where to begin. Plush and fliud; this bike gives crazy contol and is completely stable at the fastest speeds. With a 10 speed drive train you'll surprise the XC and All-mountain bikers when you pass them on the steep climbs. Braking is different feeling than other bikes, it is very smooth you don't feel the rocks or chatter when you are braking over rocks. The bike tends to sits back when braking. For big drops it is hard to tell when you left the ground and when you landed. Besides the bottomless suspension(I still haven't felt like I've hit the end of its travel) the initial impact that is transfered into your legs almost completely disappears. Perect therapy for those with bad knees. On top of it all, it is awesome looking.

I'm trying to be objective and find weakness in how it rides, but so far with everything I've given it, it keeps screaming for more. It does exactly what it was designed to do. It would not be ideal for riding long uphill trails. Even though it climbs really steep technical stuff like a billy goat.

First off I am not a professional rider nor claim to be. I know each rider has somthing different he likes, so with that in mind if you are looking for rock gobbling, fluid, crazy control that can take the steepest rocky downhills as well as climb and pedal then you are looking for what I seach for. This bike feels far better than any bike I've been on and I've tried most of them. It is kind of unreal. I attribute that partly to the rearward travel. Half of the riding I do is DH and the other half is on technical, steep, and flat trails and it handles them better than my all-mountain bike used to. My expectations were high and this bike continues to exceeded them all. Canfield is also an amazing company to work with.

Kona operator, Rocky Mountain Flatline, Canfield The One, Devinci Wilson, Demo 8, iron horse 7.7, Kona stinky, Giant Glory

[Jun 26, 2012]
mtnbiker0755
Downhiller

Strength:

Everything. It's cornering, pedaling, weight, aesthetics. CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY ARE AWESOME!

None.

Best DH bike I've ever ridden. This thing handles like it's on rails. It can plow the gnarliest rock gardens, but is light and nimble enough to change lines upon command. I cased a couple of 20 foot doubles and the bike does not buck like every other bike I've ridden. I am floored by the performance of this thing.

Giant Faith, Trek Session, Tomac Primer, Turner DHR

[May 12, 2012]
Steve
Downhiller

Strength:

Everything, very smooth, jumps great, fast, corners like no others, suspention butter smooth with Marzocchi world cup, and Boxxer. I have spoke with Chris Canfield on several occassions, and they are always willing to help.

Bottom line great bike, build, quality, and the ride, amazing. If you ever have the chance to ride or own one of these bikes, go for it. Wheather at the bike park, your local trails or jumps around the house, this bike will do it all.

Norco A-Line , GT DHI,

[Dec 02, 2011]
dhutah

Strength:

Rearward arcing travel lets the bike roll over obstacles without losing momentum in the way that all forward and upward arcing suspension designs inherently do. The short chainstays allow you to rail corners, but the wheelbase growth in the rough allows for greater confidence and stability at speeds. The build quality is amazing and the details like cable routing and welding work make you feel like you are getting what you paid for. New in 2011 are three shock placement options to fine tune the suspension for track and personal preference.

The bike is a touch heavier than the newest carbon offerings.

Often hard to get if you don't order early enough.

This is my second Jedi (but not in a row), so I guess that says a lot. I have had a couple of the premier DH frames over the past few years and ridden many more, and without a doubt the Jedi is my favorite. It rails corners, doesn't slow down or get hung up in the rough, pedals admirably, pops (especially in the right suspension setting) nicely, and is so solidly built that it inspires confidence in all situations.

The Jedi can't plow like the V-10, but my skill level has progressed to the point where I'm looking for something that I drive, not that drives me. In situations where I don't have the option of slowing down in a complex line (like a sustained rock garden with a couple of turns in it), I like that I can maneuver the bike on the ground as well as pop from point to point if need be. I found that to be difficult with the V-10 as it rode too deep in the travel to nimbly redirect its course, so all adjustments had to be made with the tires in contact with the ground, which can be difficult in a rock garden. I didn't like the Demo 8 in the same situations, but for different reasons: it hung up on every little thing and unless you were in the air the ride was choppy and abrupt. The Demo cornered and popped well, but lost too much momentum if you didn't time every obstacle right and avoid hitting them with the rear tire.

Another thing that I love is how much this bike rewards you for being over the handlebars with your weight. The more aggressive you ride, the shorter the chainstay length will remain and the snappier the ride will feel. I know that proper positional will help on any bike, but here you will notice it immediately and dramatically.

The only reason it didn't get the highest value ratings is because there are a few top-end frames that can be had for less, albeit without the shock options that the Jedi has.

A bike can only do so much for a rider, but the Jedi is so great at hiding subtle imperfections and misjudgements that it is a great choice for someone who is working to step up their game, but doesn't have the sniper accuracy or riding time of Aaron Gwin. I certainly don't but it's helped me move from sport to pro class in 3 years, and that's all that a guy who doesn't ride for a living can hope for, right?

2001 Santa Cruz Bullit, 2005 Norco A-Line, 2007 Santa Cruz V-10, 2008 Canfield Jedi, 2010 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2011 Canfield Jedi

[Jul 05, 2011]
nomad8604
Downhiller

Strength:

Fast, Durable, No flex, very high quality build, Jumps Great, Corners like a dream, no chain slap/ pedal kick, unique.. really unique, low, slack, fast.

A bit heavy but what the hell for what it can do Im not complaining.

I love this bike; it has such a unique feel to it. You actually sit in the bike rather than off the back like other downhill bikes. The build quality of the frame is incredible. You can tell that there was a lot of love put into the frame from start to finish. The cable routing is perfect, the links are rock solid with no flex at all; I can tell that this frame is built to last!

The Ride:
When you sit on the bike you feel like you are on top of it rather than off the back. It has a plush feeling, but does not squat 3 inches down like the V10 when you sit on it. It pedals incredible and the chain pulley design causes the bike to be super responsive no matter the situation with no chain slap or chain slack. I wanted a bike that was more nimble than my V10 but also handle anything I threw at it with no comprise. This bike does it all! The low top tube makes this bike super easy to throw around whether its in the air or railing corners. Also, the bike seems faster in rock gardens and roots and does not bog down; it just skips right over them. The front wheel is super easy to get off the ground which makes this bike super fun! Coming into a rough section I have the option to either run straight over it or hop and skip my way through it. I mentioned prior that the Jedi is great in the air, and it is super easy to jump and throw around! The first time I rode it I was sending things bigger! It really does great in all situations, and every time I ride it I love it more and more!

Bottom Line:
If you want a super fun, high quality, no holds barred downhill bike, then the Jedi is what you want! I love this in every way, and it will last me many many seasons!

V10, TR450, Demos...

[Jun 05, 2011]
Rob-Bob
Downhiller

Strength:

Everything. The frame is a work of art and it does everything the Canfield brothers promise.

Only comes in black ( i have the 2010 model)

I have never ridden a bike that has given me more confidence in such a short period of time. I am cornering faster, jumping farther and riding through rock gardens faster than i ever have before. Anyone who is thinking about getting a Jedi should stop thinking about it and just do it. You will not be disappointed.

07 Specialized Bighit, Kona Stinky Deluxe, Giant Glory, Trek session 88

[Jul 02, 2010]
T. Allen
Downhiller

Strength:

Builds light, good construction, stiff, design and asthetics, ease of use and cleaning

None, Ive had all 3 years and love me...

DO NOT RUN A FOX DHX ON THIS BIKE!!! FOX is way to progressive and works against the design....

I have ridden this bike and ridden it hard I have beat the crap out of all 3 and love the design. The 2010 has a 1 degree slacker HA and a shorter HT so it can rake out more easily as well as accept the short crown for the boxxer.

The design is flawless it works amazing...

DO NOT RUN A FOX DHX on this bike as it gets progressive and like the guy below stated the shock causes the bike to try and buck you up and over or throw the rear high off jumps... I HAVE NOT had any issues like this since getting rid of the DHX....

Of the shocks Ive ran the Avalanche WOODIE is the most awe inspiring shock to date on it and Ive ridden them all....

The Avalanche cartridge in a Boxxer chasis matches the rear PERFECT and literally takes this bike to a whole new level...

I have not found any weakness in this bike infact Ive found with the Avalanche suspension this thing got even faster and MORE stable at wide open speed... It is a beast and after 3 I will be selling the 2010 to get a 2011 if its the same... LOL I say that every year and the little changes are things Id not have considered but make it a bit better every round...

ALOT

[Mar 08, 2010]
rubberdown
Downhiller

Strength:

where to even start. a rediculous amount of time & testing had to have gone into building these frames. it can only be decribed as a slipper clad cheetah running over piles of cotton on any terrain you can find. while railing through some of the gnarliest rooted, tattered & baby head strewn sections of dh trail in oregon, this rig just skimmed over all of it without making a sound & kept begging to be pedaled faster. it's like the rear end of the bike just does not exist. control your front end & balance & there is nothing you can't pop over effortlessly. it tracks like it's stalking the line in front of you, it pedals like a 3" bike, and it corners with magnetic force. there is no such thing as lateral movement. insane.

and looks... forget about it. the machining & overall finish of this frameset is artwork. the lines all compliment each other in addition to performing the way they should.

but the best thing about this frame (and any other canfield) is the support you get once you own one. those boys keep tight reigns on their design & quality, and every frame is assembled by hand by one of them, what other frame of this caliber can claim that?

i honestly feel that you are paying 50% for the development & material cost, and the other 50% for having the manufacturer behind you on every trail you hit.

this is my second canfield (had a lucky for a while) and both have been mind blowing. i am normally a set it and forget it, don't notice the small details kind of rider, but this thing just is leaps & bounds noticeable.

some would say price, but they have yet to ride one. in all honesty i would have had to gone without at full retail so i get it, but now that i own & have ridden one, i would beg borrow & steal to replace it.

in a bizarre way, a weakness could be that you don't realize exactly how fast you are going. my mind couldn't compute the line ahead of me fast enough. you expect a bike to slow up a bit in chattery sections and this just does not, so you have to brake accordingly.

bottom line is this bike does not fit into one class of bike. it is nimble enough to jump all day on, and stealthy enough to rally any singletrack it sees. i am not a big fan of pedaling big travel bikes, but could easily do miles on this thing. it's in a class of its own.

if you are reading this review to help make a decision on making the purchase, consider this a yes vote. this is not just another "boutique" bike that is a fad, this thing is the real deal & i dare you to find anybody that has ridden one hating on it.

Canfield Lucky, Astrix Havoc, Knolly Delirium T, Santa Cruz V10