Azonic Steelhead DJ/MtnX

Built for the aggressive urban assault freerider. Features full 4130 Chromoly tubing throughout, new IS chain guide mount, extra beefy head tube wall and 1/4 inch thick drop outs and adjustable brake mount to get accurate brake setup, 24"-26" and IS disc brake mount. Replaceable derailleur hanger.

fdmbautista   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2010]
Strength:

Indestructible. Fun geometry. Nice color (flat green). Can be built to suit ANY rider (24", xc, trail, freeride, downhill, disc/vee, short fork/long fork/rigid fork, etc)

My singlespeed Steelhead is heavier than one of my dual sus bikes!

Lame stickers that melt off in the hot sun

This is my second Steelhead build, built it last year and rode it all season this year. My old one was a Pro XL and liked it so much that I built up a Pro and donated the XL to another rider. Pro fits much better. This year it's my most ridden/reliable bike (mostly because my dual sus bikes are in the shop for weeks at a time). I ride 3-4 times weekly. The more I ride it the more I like it. Bulletproof. Rocks, drops, falls, climbs, you name it. Everything on it literally falls apart before the frame will. Already went through a set of brakepads, brake caliper mounting bolts, endless untrue wheels, tires, shredded headset, and a holzfeller crankset. I'm 5'6" 160lbs,and frame/fork combo fits great. Very easy to control frame behavior with good flat pedals. S-shaped stays give a nice steel flex. Fork steer tube is now creaking. Yet another thing to replace on this frame!

I'm not a dirt jumper, but this bike makes me try to be one whenever I see mounds. I ride mostly xc with this, but I don't shy away from getting air on the built up logs and occasional dropoffs.

It'll be years, and hundreds more breakable parts, before I have to retire this frame. This frame will outlast everything on it!

If you find one in good shape, plan to have it forever. ...or until the rust gets to it!

Excellent value for a versatile frame.

Similar Products Used: Jamis Komodo (built one up for a friend and rode it once)
chain_slap   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2010]
Strength:

Beefy construction, Massive rear tire clearance, V brake or disc mount, Thick dropouts, ISCG mounts

Heavy, Funky rear derailleur mounts,

You can use a 80-140mm travel for on this frame, for the price it doesn't have the versatile dropouts of a Rocky Mountain DJ, but this frame is extremely durable.

Similar Products Used: 2005 KHS DJ200
williebox   Weekend Warrior [Mar 15, 2010]
Strength:

everything

nothing

i build this bike up in the winter costing me about $1300 but it was worth. ive ridden it once so far and rides like a charm

heres some pics

Similar Products Used: none
Ted   Weekend Warrior [Aug 13, 2009]
Strength:

great frame, its cool loookin and very stong. easy to manuever through trails and jumps. easy wheelies through the streets.

none really. i would recommend getting a chain guide though.

If i had to describe this bike with one word it would have to be AMAZING! great bike and i love it. this bike is for the person who does a little bit of everything. light enough for street, yet strong enough for DH or trails.

Similar Products Used: my first mountain bike, i used to ride bmx
Gus   Weekend Warrior [Oct 12, 2008]
Strength:

It holds up well on the FR and DH. I've done skatepark and DJ and does well there also like it's supposed to. Easy to spin, whips around good, good dimensions and geometries

a little heavy when lifting it to load into a bike rack or pickup or when hiking up for your next run

Awesome, purley awesome. The pro xl is the perfect size for a 14 year old in alaska doing everything from throwing tricks, to downhill, to xc rides. My setup is pretty heavy but its all the result of upgrading after breaking lighter components and now I've ridden for a month without breaking anything. It's a good solid bike with dimensions for anything and I like the horizontal dropouts I hated using a tentioner. I bought it because I cracked an aluminum frame and I'm 170 pounds 5'9''. I'd been looking at it and comparing it to other frames and it seemed like the best choice over Iron Horse, Kona, Specialized, Haro, Blk Mrkt, Leader, Giant, and Santa cruz. It was the only steel frame I found that would comfortably hold a 6'' fork. Its a frame you can set up for anything and everything and will keep asking for more. Anyone who freerides or only rides places like my hometown (Talkeetna) where nobody has given even the skateboarders a park should buy a steelhead.

Similar Products Used: kona shred
J-Bone   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 2008]
Strength:

Sick looks, pretty light for a steel frame. horizontal drops, tensioner tabs on the bb

none really. A more common seat post clamp size would be nice-but I have the right size now twenty nice.eightmm.

as good as any DJ frame out there. No questions. Very expensive direct from the Azonic site. Very cheap when bought on pricepoint or ebay.

Dizzy D   Weekend Warrior [Aug 19, 2008]
Strength:

indestructible, versatility (set it up for street, xc, dj, freeride, anything!), STEEL

a little heavy, but nothing that you notice on the ride, just when picking it up at the end of a ride.

This thing rocks.
Solid solid solid.
I ride xc with it, and like to drop/huck things if I find them, and I know this frame take it all. This thing does great on the trail. Amazing control, has the flex of steel, and takes a beating. it's gotten pretty scuffed up, mostly from hauling it around during travels and still no rust. It has a relaxed geometry, but I think the fact that i ride the XL keeps me from doing wheelies on the climbs, and the rear tire stays planted.

I like the frame so much I'm looking to get another one to build a commuter! That's the magic of the Steelhead! You can pretty much build it to be anything you want it to be! ...and you won't break the bank!

Affordable, dependable, long-lasting. It's the Honda of bike frames.

Similar Products Used: nothing is similar
neabailey   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2008]
Strength:

Revised Geo for 08, Cromo!, Tire clearance, Horizontal Drop outs, short rearend!, Short seat tube = more stand over clearance and room for tricks, less weight than the older models.

Where the seatstay's meet the seattube looks like it could be weak. Hasn't caused an issue yet but I'm keeping my eye on it.

This Bike is great. I come from a BMX back ground, mainly street and some dirt, When I made the switch to "big wheels", I was not impressed with what I found. Prices are outrageous, and options were slim for a cromo street bike.
But then azonic rolled out their revised Steelhead and I found what I was waiting for, an inexpensive steel frame with good geo. There is no reason a steel frame should cost $500 like the Dobermann's or Mob, ect. $300 is an average price for a top end Bmx Frame, it doesn't cost $200 in additional steel to make a 26". Anyone who works for a living and doesn't want to get caught up in the overpriced world of "novelty" mtb's should consider this bike.

Similar Products Used: Bmx. And other Aluminum Hardtails.
Rob Esquire   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2008]
Strength:

Strong construction Cro-Mo tubing.
Horizontal Dropouts.
Tight rear triangle.
Big tyre clearance.

Chainstay on drive side looks a little thin at bend.

Bombproof steel frame, great angles. Handles like a dream, it can be thrown about the place despite weighing in a bit more than my old DS-1. Similar angles to my DS-1 but feels much better tighter and unrelenting.
If you are heavy enough or just land heavily enought to crack this then you need a full suuser and leave the hardtail fun to those of us with enough skill to land fairly smooth.
I'll see if I can break this but I think I'll get through a few rims first, even with my 2.2" DMR street tyres.