Avent Jibster DJ/MtnX

2004 Sea Otter 4-Cross Winner. Discipline: Dual Slalom, Mountain Cross, Urban Assault/Street Riding, and whatever else you can throw at it. Comes in 2 sizes: 14" or 16". Designed for 5" or 6" travel forks without affecting head angle. Oversized headtube and heavily gusseted 7005 aluminum frame. International Standard disc brake mount. International Standard chain guide mount. Dual V-Brake mounts for 24" or 26" wheels. Comes with vertical and horizontal dropouts that can be switched by removing only two bolts. Compatible with top swing front derailleur and triple chain rings.

danielrholmes   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2009]
Strength:

f++king wicked stunner ( t.o ) if you broke yours your a tithead and you dont know didly about bike or how to ride isugest you stick to your feet

none apart from arses slaging it off

nice bike just need to get some new forks it will ride bettwe all together

Similar Products Used: none
Urbaniste   Downhiller [Jun 12, 2008]
Strength:

Just about everything. This is a new review, as I wrote the last one only a month or two into ownership. This frame is stiff and very sturdy. It is extremely versatile, can be set up with 26" or 24" wheels, rim or v-brake (why?), with shorter travel it has incredible snapability thanks to the ultra-steep head angle. I use it for almost everything, even commuting to work once in a while...It's slow, but I session the whole way. It rides awesome as a single speed, as well as with gears...You can even run a triple chainring,eh...if you're into that sort of thing.

I guess the "AVENT" cutouts are pretty lame, though I don't let them bother me. Some people might be sketched out when riding a bike with a 73 deg head angle on a trail...I suggest an adjustable travel fork, set it up high for trails and freeride...You know, the head angle isn't too big a deal, as even with a long travel setup, it rakes out to probably 70 degrees, so it'll have big travel and precise handling. So...as long as you're not afraid of a slightly nervous ride, it's ideal for all kinds of stuff

It's an ill bike. No one recognizes it, and amidst the sea of Evil D.O.C.s, STPs, PhDs, and Chases where I live and ride, it stands out. The paint is extremely durable, and still looks new after many rides. With the adjustable travel Domain, it's comfortable for 95 percent of riding I do, which is trail/ AM, Freeride, Jumps and urban. Haven't taken it downhill yet, but I feel so comfortable with it, I will, once I toss some knobbies on it.

I have no idea how that kid who wrote the scathing, poorly worded, not to mention short review managed to break his...nor do I know where he paid 800 for it, but as he makes no description of how it happened or what happened to the bike, I can only assume he had a lousy setup, is a lousy rider or just wanted to rip the bike a new one for some reason. I encourage people to realize that as tough as any given bike can be, you can break ANYTHING under the right conditions, or trying something stupid, which is how I find a lot of bikes get broken.

Buy one if you love a versatile frame, and snappy handling, as well as a small company racing image. Don't if you feel more comfortable with a slack head angle, which I feel is the only worth noting about the bike to anyone who is considering buying the frame. Also, it has a very short standover, so don't expect to ride it with the seatpost extended and not feel silly...I tried it, and I find it's faster and more efficient just to stand up and sprint with the seatpost at dirt jump/slalom/4X height like a BMX. This is one of those bikes you pick out the size by top tube alone, since they're all low.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose Thunderball, Mongoose Ritual High, um...rode a Soul Cycles Sluggo my friend has once
luke buell   Downhiller [Jun 22, 2007]
Strength:

durable, bombproof, awesome paint, nice and stiff, geometry is perfect, two interchangable dropout styles, original designing, cheap!

the "AVENT" cutouts really bug me because theyre so rough...looks like someone just flame cut the pieces out and didnt even clean up the corners..(im hoping to blast, rework the cutouts, and repaint it in the fall)....little heavier than im used to also...

awesome frame for urban assault and downhill jumps tracks...bad commuting bike unless you want to jack the seat up like 2 feet...takes jumps so naturally.and so cheap....this bike is dank

tyrel -INSANE-   Downhiller [Feb 27, 2006]
Strength:

Virtually Un Breakable, I doubt t.o broke his if so Id like toseepics. Very Strong, Very responsive, easy to wheelie, rad design, Looks awesome in red Killer bike!

The only thing that I dont like about the frame is the CUT OUT that says AVENT is Very Ruff, sharp ruff. but I have never had a problem with it and it looks awesome!

Killer Frame, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! WORTH EVERY CENT!

Similar Products Used: Azonic Evolution 2, Orbea, evil Imperial, scott yz series!
jeremiah   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2006]
Strength:

quality! tolerances are exact and welds are beautiful. excellent frame.

a full pound heavier than what i was told by the manufacturer. also the bottom bracket design requires a 118 bb if you run shimano.

burly bike with spot-on geometry. 5 lb 15 ounces! feels like a bmx bike which in my opinion is a good thing. quality of this frame in unbelievable.

Similar Products Used: nothing else compares
Joe   Downhiller [May 20, 2007]
Strength:

I once nose-cased this thing into the back of a 20ft double! The fork's internals (and crown) were history, but the frame survived. I have now got complete faith in this thing.

The heat tube angle is seriously steep unless you use longer travel forks.

The tolarances that this frame is made to mean that it seems to shrug off impacts that would have had your face on the floor if you were riding an inferior frame.

Similar Products Used: other hardtails-kona, norco and marin.
Crazy Insane   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2005]
Strength:

Everything, awsome forks, sweet frame, disks feel like hydralics and are soooo easy to adjust!

Nothing!

awsome insane bike for less money than sasquatch

Similar Products Used: Brodie Brat, gay thing
Alex   Downhiller [Dec 01, 2007]
Strength:

A good blend of strength and weight. The frame is very stiff and responds very well, sticks landings and fits my body dimensions perfectly, (short legs, normal arms). Good sturdy paint, multiple dropouts, and has rim brake mounts on rear for both 26" and 24" wheels. Good price too.

None so far. I got the frame new and warranteed from my friend who managed to break the rear dropout bolts, as well as crack the head tube, but he was a 240 pound downhiller riding a 14 inch frame. I weigh 140 so I think I'm okay. And he had replaced the dropout bolts with aluminum when Avent told him they needed to be steel.

A do everything freeride hardtail. I even started learning bike trials on it. I love to ride urban though so that's my setup, and the bike is great for it. Fun to jump too, plus I haven't seen any others around town.