VooDoo 1999 Nzumbi Rigid Bike

VooDoo 1999 Nzumbi Rigid Bike

1999 VooDoo Nzumbi, mountain bike, non-suspension, Single Speed Mountain Bike Mix components, Rigid fork

[Mar 01, 2001]
Barney

Strength:

Frame, no doubt. Super schweet ride, one of the smooothest steel frames i've ever ridden. Super cool dropouts, nice welds. The WTB/Paul wheelset has remained true and strong for two solid years now, 'nuff said. My favorite bike, EVER.

None. Any whining about a flexy front end can be solved by getting a REAL fork. (aka, not a 97 manitou ti or any SID) Read: Bomber/Psylo. I hammer thru rock gardens and i just don't see what all the fuss is about...

Da Kine Mon!

[Mar 05, 2000]
Scott

Strength:

FUN,Very responsive, lightweight, cool looking, good components, easy to maintain

I will probably replace the pedals unless I use it to fool around with as a cruiser

I knew this bike was going to be a lot of fun to ride but I wasn't sure how much fun it would be. The inaugural ride was on trails with some pretty long sustained climbs which I didn't know whether I could make or not. It was a hard ride but proved to me that I can take this bike almost anywhere and ride like a mofo. The next day I rode a trail that must have been made for this bike-- tight, twisty singletrack with just some short steeps that you can power up and then hammer the rest of it. I'm looking forward to logging some serious miles on my new singlespeed and then jumping back on my Intense and seeing how much faster I ride. Also, this bike is the ticket for winter riding-- who's ever heard of chain suck on a singlespeed?

Get your own at Voodoo-cycles.com!!!

Tested the Nzumbi awhile back

[Aug 23, 1999]
marc
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

lung/leg expanding

spinning out

Ever dance with someone and they move like an epileptic frog jitter bugging in high heels on ice? Imagine cutting a rug with someone who reads your mind. Didn't follow your lead, but was right there with you simultaneously. The Nzumbi is such a partner.I outfitted my bike with a SuperFly, Race Face seatpost, handlebar, bottom bracket and Chris King headset. I promised myself I would not upgrade the bike, but it is such a honey that I felt it needed some love.My mtn. bike is a 20, but I ordered an 18 Nzumbi because I wanted it to be chuckable. I am 6'1 so I ordered the 180mm cranks, 130mm stem and a seatpost that is set back an inch.The whole combo is dreamlike. The rear of the bike is light and flickable and the SuperFly is rich and lush as pudding. I didn't feel that much slower except on the climbs; you will have to get off and run up some hills.The bike is heaven sent and hell bent. It is for the seasoned rider who is looking for additional thrills. Your friends may be faster on their 8/9 speeds, but I assure you you will be having a much better time. And that is what it is all about.

[Jul 24, 1999]
Darrell Lee
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light weight, quick, STEEL!

saddle

This bike takes me back to my first rigid Stumpjumper. It has helped me to sharpen my bike handling skills, numbed somewhat by my full-suspension rig, and has provided me a quantam leap in my fitness level! It is a great climber due to the light weight, although you have to attack hills alot more than with a geared bike. The Nzumbi has become my favorite ride and I am looking forward to entering a XC race on it. I give Voodoo 5 red carrots for a job well done!

none, first single speed

[Jul 14, 1999]
Craig Dalton
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Frame, Price

Saddle, stem

This bike is a blast. I only was able to ride the bike five times before I was forced to leave it for the summer, but in those five rides I became a convert. Now everytime I ride my regular MTB, I'm dreaming of the hardcore single speeding I could be doing if I brought my Nzumbi with me. For those of you who have been riding since back in the day, this bike's for you. Remember what is was like to ride a fully rigid bike? Being forced to choose a good line rather than letting the suspension take over. This bike will bring you back and show you the future at the same time. If you have a little cash, this single speed won't disappoint!!!

Bianchi, Kona

[Jun 25, 1999]
malachi
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

fun, frame

saddle, stem

this thing rules. i haven't ridden any other bike for the last 2 and one half months. it's light, it's quick and it keeps you honest.
i find that it's best on singletrack and in the city. on some of the fireroads around here it doesn't shine quite so bright.
i really debated about adding the Judy - but one trip through tilden on a hot day and my elboss and shoulders convinced me to suck it up so i bought a closeout 98 Judy (alloy steerer) and haven't regretted it so far.

Spot, BoSS

[Jun 21, 1999]
Scott
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Responsive
Light
Fun

None I can think of

Way more fun than I thought it would be. I traded a buddy his VooDoo for my Intense Uzzi XC while riding up a fireroad climb and then continued on a stretch of cool singletrack. Talk about a change of pace! While there are some trails I wouldn't want to try riding this bike up, I know a ton of trails where it would be a scream to ride. I'm not ready to give up my full suspension bike but if I get another bike it may be this one! The feel of steel is real!!!

First singlespeed I've ridden since I was a kid

[Jun 03, 1999]
Eben Saling
Cross-Country Rider

An update to my previous review. To put it mildly I still love this bike. I ride it every day to work and it is great for crusing around on the weekends. It is also fun for trick/light trials riding. The gearing and 180mm cranks make it a little hard to ride a good wheelie but you can do it with practice and the bike jumps and maneuvers very well. I have had fun on both dirt and pavement and am constantly suprised at the hills I can climb with a little effort. Up hills I feel faster than my 24spd as a result of having to stand up and hammer all the time. As long as I don't wear myself out I can do most rides. You really can notice the increased efficientcy of a straight chain-line and no derailluers. As for the components I was wrong about the tires, they are great and very light, on WTB's web site they have them listed as only a few grams heavier than the Kevlar version. The seat is very comfortable and the only item I will replace any time soon, beside the bars, are the grips. The WTBs are not bad but Ourys are my favorites. Five chilies once
again for a superior single speed.

[May 19, 1999]
Eben
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Fun!Fun!Fun!
Quite light.
Nice frame.
Some very nice components.

Some not so nice components.
Could easily be lighter.

This is a very nice bike which is a lot of fun and suprisingly versitile. I have only owned it two days and I am riding it everywhere I go. I liked the idea of getting a single speed for commuting and crusing around free from clipless pedals and in a less agressive riding position (My primary bike is a raced out hardtail). I first looked at the Bianchi B.O.S.S. as it really caught my eye but I didn't want a rigid bike built from aluminum and the color scheme was a little garish. This VooDoo has almost the same components but is of a very nice steel build and has really beautiful paint and graphics. I have owned a couple of Kona's and really like the Joe Murray design philosophy. All of these initial factors helped me decide to order the bike sight-unseen from my local dealer. I ordered the 18 which would normally be a little small for me but the option of a longer stem and crank made it possible to get a frame which would be more manuverable. When the bike arrived at the dealer I was pleasently suprised that the cranks which are spec'd in the VooDoo catalog, the MRC Steely Dans, have been replaced by black RaceFace cranks. Nothing against the MRCs but I have owned RaceFaces and I love them, plus they look better on this bike. The pedals are cheep Wellgo Platform/Spd and I immediately swapped them for Odessys with Power Grips (an old favorite). The other components are
high quality: Paul hubs, WTB grips, tires, rims, and tubes, Kalloy seat post and bar, Avid brakes and a nice Koski seat. While these are all good solid parts it would have been nice to see a few simple changes to save even more weight from an already featherweight (~22lbs.) bike. The tires are wire bead and already very expensive being from WTB. If another brand had been used a kevlar
set could have been had for probably the same price and taken a lot of weight off. While a downhill (riser) bar is definately warrented on this type of bike the kalloy is waaaaaaay to wide and heavy to be practical. I cut 1&1/4 off each side of the thing and it is still 2 wider than my
MTB bar. After hacking these sections off I had a very usable width but the end plugs would no longer fit due to the incredible thickness of the
bar as it tapered towad the center. This bar is heavy! I will replace it as soon as my budget allows. The seatpost is pretty light but I had an extra Syncros Ti ProPost laying around which is quite a bit lighter and has a nice amount of give which is definately a plus on this rigid bike. These complaints are very small and reveal more about my snob quotient than the quality of the ride, which is amazing (the ride). I rode this bike home from the shop, practiced dooing wheelies and bunny hops for a couple hours. Rode it to my friends house to watch some b-ball, rode it home and rode it to work this morning, I can't wait till the weekend when I can get it on to some dirt! The periods between riding have been spent working on and admiring this beautiful machine and I've had a big, dumb grin on my face the entire time (except when the Blazers lost). Buy this bike and remember why, as a kid, you didn't need no damn shifters!

I've ridden the Bianchi B.O.S.S. once. My last one speed was a Diamond Back freestyle when I was 10

[Jan 07, 1999]
Dr. Bob
cross-country rider

I love this bike! The steel frame and rigid fork are very controllable, even comfortable, at pedaling speed (up to about 15 mph). Things do get squirrelly on rough, fast downhills because of the lack of suspension. I'm considering a suspension fork, but wonder if that would ruin the uniquess of the ride. I can already feel my spin smoothing out after 5 or 6 rides, and I've been able to climb much steeper stuff than I thought I could on a single speed. The 26 inch riser bar is the right choice, even if you use flat bars on your multi-speed bike as you end up standing and really yanking on the bars during steep ascents. I have an F series Cannondale and a Super-V Cannondale and they're both great bikes, but I haven't been tempted away from my Voodoo (yet) since I got it a week and a half ago. The components are good for the price. Paul hubs, Steely Danz cranks and WTB Racing Raptor tires are all good stuff. My 20 bike weighs 22.5 pounds with the original heavy tubes and straight gauge spokes. Read the recent single speed article in MBA. They didn't review this bike but they gave some insight as to why single speeds are so much fun.