Univega 2001 Alpina 502 Rigid Bike

stuart bennett   Weekend Warrior [Dec 18, 2001]
Strength:

never breaks, just keeps going. greater than the sum of it's parts.

heavier than heavy. rear brake (dia compe fell apart in the middle of nowhere)

cheap, cheerful, bounces well when you get it wrong. built like a tank and steers like one.

Similar Products Used: specialized m2
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2001]
Strength:

Frame strength, component integrity, geometry works well in technical terrain. This bike is as heavy as a tank, but as durable as well, making it an excellent choice to learn the sport on.

Its portly stature means it's a little tough getting up hills. The stock 'Concept' seat was garbage. Despite its weight, it likes to pogo the back wheel coming down steep and fast decents if you don't keep your arse hanging off the back.

My bike is actually a 1996 model that I bought new in 1997 and have been riding ever since. I've raced it in two cross-country events, had it to Moab twice, commuted through winter snows on it, and thrash it just about daily in our foothills. I'm always amazed at how much punishment this bike takes in stride, with very little maintenance required to keep it going. It usually gets a tune twice a year, and a new chain once a year. That's it. Once at Moab, I passed a bunch of people out on Slick Rock with $2,000 rigs that had all sorts of mechanicals. After checking with their riders to see if they needed a hand I just kept pedaling by. It really is a tough bike! The steel frame communicates its intentions to me very well (mabye I'm just used to it after all this time) and is very forgiving. This is an excellent bike for someone just getting into the sport, not sure if they're going to like it or not. If they don't, it's a good around-town bike. If they do, it will carry them for a couple of years as their skills develop, and when it's time to upgrade, it will become a good commuter bike. I'm way past the upgrade point, and am looking to go full suspension right quick, but when I do my trusty old steed will be transformed into a commuter. I can't imagine ever parting with it - it's been too good to me, brought me many, many miles of fun, and has never left me stranded. Four flaming chilis for value, five overall since it's so damned trustworthy, and it just works.

Similar Products Used: 1994 Bridgestone X0-5 (which I should have never sold).
Robert Thompson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2002]
Strength:

In a anodized ruby red the 502 looks stunning, the frame is double butted, strong and well made. Shimano STX transmission never lets anyone down and neither do the Panracer smoke tyres and the Acera hubs. Also the Weinemen alloy rims are sound

The concept saddle, stem and dia-compe v brakes are fairly poor. Will need upgrading if your serious about xc biking.

My alpina is the 1997 model which i bought in early 1999 for a bargain. Built like a cold war russian tank, I had a nasty accident on my alpina... crashed into a iron gate head on at 35mph throwing my self 15 meters and getting up turning to see my bike in one-peice, (just a lil dent in the head tube). All though not as light as alluminium the 405 double-butted chromoly frame with ritchey dropouts is worthy of an upgrade.
The stx is just as efficient as higher priced groupsets and wont let you down.

As for the ride its pretty good!.... acceleration is fast and steering is crisp it feels well balanced on flat pack terrain. It just will not lie down this bike and univega make them better each year. A classic!