Univega 2001 Alpina 5.1 Rigid Bike

Lealand Higgs   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2009]
Strength:

This bike is light and strong. I purchased it well used in 2005 but it's still in great riding condition, so I'd say it's longevity is also a strength. Also, after all these years the rapid fire shifters and derailleurs work great, nice and smooth. And the crank is still tight.

It's rigid fork makes this bike more of a commuter bike than a mountain bike.

A great commuter bike and an okay mountain bike, especially for the price that I paid.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper, Diamondback Topanga
OVERALL
JD Smith   [Jun 04, 2004]
Strength:

Good Solid Frame and sturdy components ... Nice chromoly frame. The cranks and the STX components are nice, and the araya rims are quite tough as well.

A little rusty and a little heavy. Also, I think that the Geometry; its basically too tight for your average off-road warrior. It is too hard to keep it where you want it when off-road. The headtube is at the wrong angle.

I have had many fun times w/ the bicycle, but the bottom line is that the price I paid was too much for the components that I got, and Univega screwed up w/ the geometry of the mountainbike...

This bike may possibly be a good bike for a really

I would purchase something different if I had the cash.