Univega 1999 Rover 305 Rigid Bike

1999 Univega Rover 305, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Univega fork

Eric   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 2000]
Strength:

Great bike for the price! Pretty light weight, very strong and durable, very maneuverable, and a lot of fun if you upgrade to front suspension. All together this bike was built well.

Junky factory gel seat, fairly weak front derailleur, grip shifts pop apart easily.

It is a great bike to ride around on weekends with, and it is a fun bike to upgrade. I give it 5 Flamin' Chilis because I know that I have had lots of fun with this bike.

Similar Products Used: none
scott   Downhiller [Aug 04, 2000]

Bottom bracket

The bottom bracket just went out. The part is made by Tange and is heavy compared to a UN 72. The bike has just over 200 miles on it and only 20 of those were off road. The BB started to make a creaking noise, when I took it apart I found one of the PLASTIC cones (is that the right name?) had snapped in two. The bearings inside the BB were also pretty rough when you turned them with your fingers. The rest of the bike is holding up okay. I use the bike for commuting and poser trials stunts. In the process of fixing this problem I've found that the cranks are heavy and not servicable. When I pick up the bike without the cranks or BB it is pretty light. This must be where I could save some weight.

Scott   Downhiller [Apr 17, 2000]
Strength:

Price, 7005 aluminum frame

Low end compenents, kind of heavy, gel seat!

This bike is a good deal for the price I paid. I got it as a left over '99 thus saved quite a bit of $. I compared it to Trek 820's and Specialized Hardrocks but none came close to the price and the Rover had an aluminum frame. The bike is stiff and well made. Pretty cool to see a headtube gusset in this price range. The components all suck but do work okay. I hate the grip shifts but at least they are nicer than the wierd looking over and under shifter pods on the Trek's. I was surprised by how difficult it was to find a low end bike without a suspension fork. I wanted rigid so I could use the Judy I had laying around. All the other low end bikes I looked at came with crappy Insync (is that what they were?) suspension forks. No reason to pay extra money for junk I didn't need. Overall this will be a good second bike that is worthy of being upgraded over time.