Trek 2001 800 Sport Rigid Bike

John Francis   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2002]
Strength:

Cheap, affordable, and higly durable. The components are solid, durable, and easy to service and over time replace. I haev taken my fair share of spills, crashes, and fall of a ten foot overhand(note: broken arm) and the bike still keeps on moving.

The lack of a front suspension fork is apparent after a short time. I do not reccomend extended periods off road without, unless you want to ice your wrists after every ride. Also, the shifting with the grip shifters is poor, and eventual those were replaced as was pretty much the who derailure system, and rear casset to accomidate 24 speed riding. IT is also very heavy.

This bike is one of those things you buy in your youth and use till the day you die. I have ridden more expensisve bikes but the rigid steel frame and paint job just grew on me. I have ridden this bike for just about 2500 miles and I continually love every minute of it. This is an excellent bike for the first timer, or the local commuter like myself who rides all the time and wants a mantinance free, no frills bike. Naturaly as time went on I upgraded it to suite my own riding style, but I never had to bring it in to be repaired, and I never regreted the money I spent on it being that I have been able to continualy upgrade it over time as time and money allow.

Similar Products Used: Moongoosse walmart junk, Sears brand, Diamondbacks, Gts, Gary fishers.
chris hansen   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent price, decent components, good looking bike.

Its wieght.

The bike works for me because I am primarily a road biker who wanted something affordable to hit some trails with. I will definitely get out of it what I paid for it. I highly recommend it for the beginning mountain biker or for anybody who wants an affordable bike to get around with.

Similar Products Used: First mountain bike.
A   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2001]
Strength:

looks good, nice color scheme, nice paint job, pretty good parts for the money, good quality, upright riding position, ...did I mention it looks good?

weights almost as much as my truck, sorry to whoever has to lift it onto their roof rack, cost more than comparable models by other brands, upright riding position, ...did I mention it is heavy?

The perfect bike for people who are looking for a good first bike, or for people who need a second commuter bike if they don't want to take their expensive bike to school/work and lock it up. It seems lots of thought was put into Trek's lowest model entry-level mountain bike. Its pretty good quality compared to other bikes in its class. But like I said, you pay a little more for that. (a small price to pay) Or maybe you're just paying for the name on the frame. In any case, I'm happy, and I'm gonna ride it till it breaks. Just how well and how long it lasts on rough trails ...

Similar Products Used: none. this is my first "real" bike
A. Gregori   Weekend Warrior [Sep 18, 2001]
Strength:

The bike shifts well, and appears to be very strong. Fit and finish is very good, compared to other bikes in its class.

Heavy, no front shock (stock)21 speed I personally don't like grip shifters.

The bike is great for the money, especially compared to department store bikes. I went in with the attitude that I wanted to build the bike up using my judgement for Components. What I seemed to notice is even if you up grade one or two levels, you still get poor shocks, and other parts.
I bought the bike as a "weekend warrior", and used this site to make my decision

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock
Bryan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight.

Good Price, solid bike

Frogskins   [Aug 29, 2001]
Strength:

Great "Do I like to Mountain Bike?" bike, low cost, decent setup, upgradeable

Heavy, not for serious trail riding

I got this bike for my fiance so she could go riding with me. She wasn't really sure if she would like to mt bike, so I wasn't going to spend a ton of money to find out (The money goes into my bike :-) ) Well, it turns out she DOES like to mt bike and now I am wishing I would have at least gotten her a bike with front suspension. Overall, this bike meets or exceeds all of her expectations. It would not be a good pick for my more aggressive riding style but a perfect buy for a girl who occasional likes to bang the bumps to prove she's one of the guys.