Trek 2000 4300 Rigid Bike

mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Trek fork

Logan Stahl   Weekend Warrior [Dec 01, 2006]
Strength:

It has a strong and light frame, shifts well, and handles well on almost all terain.

If you ride it hard stuff will brake. Some weak parts from my experience are the crank, pedals, and cassette. The fork is almost alright, and the tires suck. The seat is a little stiff but it never really bothered me.

Well it's good for your first Mtn. bike as everyone else has said. It's a good all around bike. It definatly has it's limmits. It's tough i mean it lasted me four years.As for the tires i put a set of Bontrager Jones AC's on it they kick ass in the mud they lasted me about 2 years.I put a Shimano deore crank set on it.I also put a Sram cassette on it.

Similar Products Used: none
Ray   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2001]
Strength:

Value. For the price, this is a solid bike. It handles well, shifts great, and stops quickly. I am a rookie (for now), and this meets my needs.

I find the seat uncomfortable after a while. The pedals could use a better grip.

For a beginner who wants a good bike without taking out a second mortgage, this is a great product to look at.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M50
Daniel   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight, strong frame, decent shifters, responsive, wheel-set (tires/rims)

lousy seat (for fat people), huffy pedals, noisy chain-deraleur set, weak shox (in-sync...shoot the person who came up with that brand name)

This bike has so much potential...buy it at it's price and spend some $$$ on modifying seat, pedals, shox and you'll have a bike that rides like a $1500+ bike. I ride fairly hard doing 2' drops and 'moguls'. When I use the front brakes, I can hear the 'click' of the looseness of the front shox. They have too much travel and bottoms out quick. I've raped this bike several times and it still keeps cuming for more. A perfect weekend warrior bike. I'm definately keeping it for a while after I modify it. Email me if u have questions.

Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2001]
Strength:

The frame itself is fairly nice for a begining level mountain bike. The bars are a second feature that I also found nice.

The combonation of shifter and brake lever in one seems to be a problem for me. I think that it would be better to have them seperate. The shock also is a great down fall to the bike. I ride pretty hard and for someone who is not afraid to take a few good drops the shock is too weak. It bottoms out easily and the rebound is way too fast.

The bottom line... for a beginer to the mountain bike scene it is a good bike. For someone who is going to ride it a little harder the bike is a good point to start and then add onto to make nicer. With some changes to the parts this bike could really rock.

Similar Products Used: A close bike setup wise is the specialized hardrock. Both bikes, while having nice frames and other parts which catch peoples eyes, they both lack the quality of a good fork.
Ken Rassmussen   [May 22, 2000]
Strength:

Light, easy to manuever, smooth shifting. Bike is strong and will hold up to most MTB trails.

None yet.

I have been riding this bike for almost 3 months. The friends and I ride 3 times a week road and then ride the trails on the weekends. The 4300 is great for both. Strong frame but very light. True the wheels and you will roll forever. The bike is great for beginners as well as anyone who has been riding for a while. Bottom line is:
get this bike and hold on!

Similar Products Used: GT Talera (7 yrs)
nodbek   [Jun 29, 2001]
Strength:

nice frame, nice sturdy ride,

poor brake set, poor pedals

this bike is so so, but the frame is awesome, you need to use the above upgrades to make it good. the ffront derailleur sucks big time. shifting sucks too. need new derailleurs.

Steve   Weekend Warrior [May 04, 2001]
Strength:

(This is for the 2001 Trek 4300, by the way)Great price, great weight, incredible brakes. Very upgradeable, especially at the price. Great gearing for x-country riding, and cruises well on pavement too.

The front derailleur either scrapes or has problems shifting (and has even thrown my chain already), bike seems too short (length wise; it's a 16.5", and I'm 5'7") from the seat to the handlebars...my legs tend to cramp unless I'm sitting almost off the back of the seat. The grips are kinda "unsightly" and they're too small for me. I also am not a big fan of either the red (which I have) or the yellow paint scheme.

A great bike for a great price! Just upgrade that front derailleur (which is listed on the Trek website as a Shimano, but there's only some other unknown name and some numbers on the back of mine). This is most likely the best bike I could have gotten for getting back into mountain biking on a budget.

Similar Products Used: misc. older bikes
Sammy Givenberg   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2001]
Strength:

Thig bike is super light. It handles like a dream. I do 2'-5' drops and it seems to glide through the air. The awsome paint sceme is incredable. I was also impressed with the brake components, they react like dick brakes.

The gear components stink!! I've bent the front derailor at least three times now. The rear derailor spring is as tight as a banjo string and the gear shifter is like tightening a 2" ball. The pedals are really cheep. Who would put a reflector on the outer side of the pedal.

This is a great bike for weekend wariors as well as the diehard. It is light and it handles well. For the price, it is a great bike, Just plan on getting some new pedals.

Similar Products Used: Motive: Rocky Ridge
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2001]
Strength:

Good component mix for the money. Threadless headset. It's shiny and new, like 80's madonna.

It's too soon in our relationship for me to see her faults. Except for that one piece crank set. It's Altus, though.

I looked at a lot of bikes in this range, mostly from last year. I didn't want grip shifts, which are common at this price. I believe this has the same frame type as many of the mid-range treks. It's sorta light. You don't lose out on your drivetrain just to get a low-end suspension fork. I do most of my moving in the city, so I don't really need one right away anyhow. The frame should last, so it'll be upgradable. Treks come with a lifetime warranty on the frame. You get a lot, but you won't pay a lot. I paid $429 Canadian. That's what, 20, 30 bucks american? No really, 50 bucks? That's a good deal, hombre.

Similar Products Used: Steel Raleigh, circa '92. She's a good old girl. It's okay, you can sleep now. Does anyone else remember Exage?
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2000]
Strength:

Good bike for cost.

Some components lacking in quality

This is a good bike for its cost. It is reliable and performs adequately. The no-name brakes and low grade shimano shifters are the first components that you will need to change. The shifters won't feel great after 1000 miles and the brakes tend to bind and are difficult to adjust. This is the highest quality hardtail with a rigid fork that Trek sells. However it is still an entry level bike with components common to the lowest end Trek models. I would have been more satisfied if they used Alivo components thoughout.