Specialized 01 Expedition Rigid Bike

Ergonomically designed Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum frame, alloy quick release wheels with flat-resistant Specialized Crossroads EX tires, Specialized Body Geometry saddle.

jj   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2010]
Strength:

Awesome styling. Comfortable seat. Smooth gear shifting.

Awesome design. Nice ride. Reliable. Fun.

Similar Products Used: Trek
coothanseven   Downhiller [Sep 01, 2008]
Strength:

The rims are really very durable,I use it to go mostly BMXing and ive had it for over 4 weeks and they havaent bent at all. Also its a very comftrable bike with the seat shock and the shock on the forks.

Front derailer

A very durable comfatrble cool bike

Similar Products Used: Domindback Dellacruz
Pat Myers   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2002]
Strength:

light, durable, good entry level bike

seat, grip shifter, paint

The Expedition is a nice entry level comfort/utility bicycle. Riding my road bikes to work proved to be dangerous given the lack of respect for cyclists by local motorists. Thus, I needed a light mountain bike to be able to jump curbs. After cleaning/tuning this bike, I was pleased with its overall appearance, though the paint chips easily. It's lighter than the average retail/chain store bike but is quite heavier than mid to high end bikes. It's a fair climber but the gearing doesn't allow for much speed on level terrain. The shifter is cheap plastic that breaks easily. The suspension seat is dangerous if you need to maneuver quickly and limits the use of body english. After replacing the stem to get a better fit on the front end, it is now a decent bike. But dropping the suspension seat made a difference in the beating to the wrists. I was disappointed to find out that trying to upgrade to a light suspension similar to the FS and FS Elite would be somewhat expensive, i.e. the threaded headset limits my options. Overall, I have been pleased with this bike, but would suggest others looking to do more than street and beginner/novice trail riding to bypass this model.

Similar Products Used: none, primarily ride road bikes
Clarke   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2001]
Strength:

Inexpensive, comfortable, "go anywhere" bike for people who don't take their biking too seriously

shifting (see below)

I really just wanted a simple, comfortable bike for tooling around my neighborhood and occasional commuting. I was about to go for something like a Raleigh C-30 or a Diamondback Parkway (the Specialized Crossroads was a little out of my budget), but opted for this because I was curious about off road riding.

The Expedition handles both road & off-road well enough, although admittedly not as well as a more "dedicated" bike would handle either terrain. I.E., you'll have to work a little harder to keep up with your road bike friends (because of the Expedition's smaller wheels), and you're better off with front suspension for serious mountain biking.

However, for my purposes this is fine. It's not worth it to me to buy two bikes for road & off-road, and this gives me enough of each world to satisfy me light appetites: I can get to work from the Caltrain station faster than on the shuttle, and I can keep up with mid-life crisised Silicon Valley execs riding bikes twice as expensive at Purisima.

The shifting problem isn't the end of the world, it occasionally gets irritiatingly "clicky", but I don't know if it's because of the cheap derailer or the fact that I haven't ever taken this thing in for a tune-up (which the shop recommended I do after 3 months).

Also, the big thing that makes this bike unique is the "ergodynamically designed frame", which basically means you sit more vertically on this than a typical mountain bike. It is more comfortable, but it may be a liability when climbing a really steep, rocky hill. Any difficult climbing I've done I had to get off the bike & walk, I think because with the vertical riding position my weight was too far back to keep the front wheel on the ground. Or it could be I just don't know what I'm doing.

Similar Products Used: first bike in 20 years
erk   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2001]
Strength:

Aluminum frame is solid and somewhat light
It looks awesome and I love the color (dark blue)

The seat! And the gripshift needs to go.

Taking a break from school, I'm now a full time bike messenger in the city of San Francisco (city of hills hills and more hills). I've been bike messenging for a month now and I'm starting to love this bike! I just love it. It goes through a lot in this city of hills and potholes and this bike is damn tough. When I come to a hill where riding up it is futile, and walking and carrying the bike is my option, I don't mind because the bike isn't too heavy.

The paint seems cheap and chips easily, but it goes through a lot of abuse since I lock my bike up against poles often.

I hate the stock seat. I have a rash on my butt and I feel like I'm sitting on a brick. And I find the suspension seatpost to be a complete joke, if not an annoyance. It does nothing but make the seat one to two inches lower... but it looks cool though.

If your into city and offroad riding, then this bike is perfect. It can take it on! I'm definitely going to change the seat and fall even more in love with my bike. DEFINITELY better than the piece of crap Trek 820 I used to have until my friend "borrowed" it forever! Now I could care less about it!

Similar Products Used: Treks... I love the specialized feel a lot better
Turp   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2001]
Strength:

Build quality. Good ride comfort. Light. Price.

Shifters. seat post.

This was actually a 2000 model. After some research, I found about the only thing that changed between model years was the colors. I bought the bike to ride mostly on the street and light trails 10 or less miles per ride. Although it has a entry level tranmission and shifters, it shifts well. The dash board gear indicator was at first a turn-off because I did'nt need it ,but it is actually helpful. The bike handles very well on and off road and is comfortable. The seatpost needs more travel and although cheapish it does work. If you don't desire single track riding and can't decide quite what kind of riding you want to do this is a great all around bike for trail and street. It's price makes it competitve with chain store bikes ( you must consider Components, Quality, Assembly Quality ,and Service).

Similar Products Used: Chain Store mountain bikes
ret   Weekend Warrior [Jun 12, 2001]
Strength:

light, very adjustable, good on paved trails

pedals, front derailleur

This is a review of a 2000 Expedition Sport that I bought at a closeout sale. Generally, it works fine for what I use it for (mostly commuting to work on paved trails). The only weaknessses I've come across are the pedals (platform style with a flat rubbery surface that's tearing off) and the front derailleur (alarming tendency to lock up the chain when downshifting under load). The Body Geometry seat looks nice but was rough on my rear for about the first 100 miles of riding (either I eventually broke it in or it broke me in). The suspended seat post was installed set at the lowest preload, and it bottomed out constantly until I cranked in close to the max preload. Overall, a solid bike with a nice light aluminum frame, and I can't complain about the price I paid.