Schwinn 2000 Frontier Rigid Bike

mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, Schwinn fork

[Jun 05, 2009]
adizzle29er
Downhiller

Strength:

Strong frame, good geometry, great starter bike!

Components, seat, wheels/hubs really

Bike is quality made with good rider geometry. The parts are lower end Shimano but if you keep the bike clean and the parts lbed it will last. I weigh over 200lbs and I pound this bad girl and she likes it. I wouldn't go blasting on any huge drops or downhill race it, but I ride it for 20-25 mile juants weekly and she cruises on the paved trail. Bottom line I would pay around a 100 for this all day, much nicer than much more expensive bikes out there. If there is one around Buy It!

GF Rig 29, Nishiki SS, Trek 4500

[Sep 16, 2002]
Doug Valencia

Strength:

The bike lasted a long time. It's a 1995 Schwinn frontier GS. It does good for a bike with no suspension.

Pedals(they are plastic)

The bike is a good bike if you dont mind buying a new set of pedals. Ive raced and its great.

[Sep 12, 2000]
Mike

Strength:

I like the low cost and good name on the Schwinn Frontier. The bike feels really solid and shifts, and brakes well. I use the bike mostly on the road and on packed trails where it does well. I bought the special edition which came with upgraded shifter, tires, and seat for less money, what a deal!

I have not found any yet. I don't ride really hard so I don't think that I could tear it up too bad.

I would recomend this bike to anyone who plans on riding on the street and on easy trails. College students who don't want to blow alot of dough, but still want a good bike around campus would love the Frontier. This bike comes with a good warrenty and, depending on the dealer you buy it from, may come with service deals as well.
I don't think that this bike would be suited for extreme mountain trails but then agian that's not what it is designed for. You can't beat the quality you get for the price...$100 less and you would be riding a Huffy.

None, first bike.

[Sep 12, 2000]
jim popowich

Strength:

Great road bike, ideal for us commuters who ride to work and home daily. Excellent shifting, solid frame and provides a good ride. When riding in vehicle traffic this bike makes you feel comfortable with the 2" higher handle bars and the weight of the bike is ideal for commuters since I don't feel the lighter bike hold up in this area.

None so far except you must make sure to oil the gears even after a little rain or water. They seem to make a clicking noise so I always carry teflon oil to remedy this.

Excellent value for the price. Great bike for serious street work especially in areas where the roads are horrible and traffic is disgusting.

[Mar 04, 2001]
Joe

Strength:

Excellent bike for the weekender/beginner biker. Schwinn has a wonderful dealer support and the bike does exactly what they designed it for. I use this bike now as a commuter and for gravel paths. Good shifting and decent brakes. I wouldn't buy this bike if you're going to do all off-road but if a commuter/weekend-trailrider is what you want, this should def. be considered.

People who find a weakness tend to ride outside of the bikes designed parameters, but I've thrown just about everything at it and it still does fine. On steep trails, the chain does tend to slip off every once in awhile and the bike is notorious for getting leaves in between the brake and wheel...annoying to have to stop and clean it out so you dont sound like a freakin' harley going down a hill.

Excellent first bike for those just getting into the sport or for those wanting something better than the Wal-Mart fall apart brands. Not a downhill racer, but a great value for the money...especially those of us who are poor college students who like to ride hard and who can't afford much. Use it as a commuter or a trail bike and you'll love it. Use it to race or to try to do things that guys with the thousand-plus dollar bikes do and you'll be disappointed.

Cheers!

joe

Kona, Trek, Specialized Rockhopper. (The Kona's and Trek were much more expensive and performance thus reflected). The Kona is my hard-core that I upgraded to...the Schwinn is my relaxed bike which I won't get rid of.

[Aug 07, 2000]
Chris

Strength:

Strong, cheap ($230), excellant entry level bike

a little heavy, for not too much more you can get a better bike

The bike is very good. It is heavy, but is still relativly fast. It is good on most road surfaces, but the Front shock version would probably be better on excessivly bumpy trails. As I plan on mostly paved and dirt road travel, this is not a problem. The bike suits my needs perfectly, but for about $100 or so more, the Mesa would be lighter by a significant amount, but as the frame is aluminum, it maybe less durable. This bike should stand to most punishment within tolerable limits, but is not for serious off-roading.

[Jul 16, 2000]
Justin Chambers

Strength:

Fat Tires, brakes (until they brake!)

Weight, shifters, weak rims, seat, bars, tubes, weak brake pads

This bike has been ridden hard by me. It's been beat on 5 mile trails down hill, taken over 5 feet of air, and up 80 degree vertical rises. It's not exactly made for this, but it takes a beating a keeps on ticking, literally. Its now making so many sounds. I bent the first set of stock rims the second time out. The brakes went out of alignment after only 200 miles. The crank basically bent, and the cables all around stretched out pre-maturally. The weight of the bike also makes it hard to bunny hop over logs and stumps, or carrying it after bending the rims beyond repair. I also put a set of Specialized slicks on the rims to ride a 200 mile road race, and the bike was amazing, when not taking a hit from trails or rough terrain.
I would recommend this bike for those who enjoy road riding but like the looks of a MTB. After 2 years of putting up with this Rigid bike, i'm going to a KHS Hardtail with good Judy's in the front. Other than gravel roads, keep this bike off the real trails.

Specialized Rockhopper, Voodoo, KHS, Fuji Nevaada

[Mar 23, 2000]
James

Strength:

An excellent entry-level mountain bike for the money. It was purchased for my son.

Not for serious off-road thrashing. Around here, though, about the roughest thing it will be seeing is a dirt road.

My son loves this bike as much as I used to love my old, purple Sting-Ray when I was his age. For bike trails, country roads, or toolin' around town, I highly recommend the Frontier for kids moving up from BMX bikes or lower-priced, discount store bikes with lesser components.

Specialized Hardrock GX

[Mar 14, 2000]
Mark

Strength:

Cheap. $199.00 on sale.

Shifters aren’t real quick and precise. They get you in the right gear, eventually!

It gets the job done.

Took it on numerous short dirt rides, and one 9 mile ride over endless sand, rock and cactus. Took it out to see if I could break it under typical weekend warrior use. Held up well. Has not broken anything nor has anything gone out of alignment.

Trek 820 Sport

[May 15, 2001]
Isaac C.

Strength:

GOOD QUALITY!

Rim weakness, rigidness, gears.

This bike is great if you ride to school or work on bike trails, and it is relatively fast. HOWEVER, my front rim bent just because I replaced a flat tire. Also, riding over 2-inch bumps jars you all over. It's pretty good quality taking on challenges like running into fire hydrants, and other bikes without major problems. Another problem is the gears. THEY ARE HORRIBLE! My derailler has always given me trouble, even after a full tune and fix up of the bike. My chain has been gradually ground away by the rear derailler, and the chain constantly slips. I can't count the times I have slipped off and hit my crouch on the crossbar. THIS IS NOT A BIKE FOR OFF-ROADERS! And that is the bottom line.