Raleigh 1999 M40 Rigid Bike

1999 Raleigh M40, mountain bike, non-suspension, Shimano Alivio components, Raleigh fork

Daniel   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

Aluminium Frame, light for entry level MTB. Better components than other bikes in this class

None.

Raliegh is producing bikes of much better than average quality and value. I bought this bike for my son. Other bikes in this price range are hi-ten steel or heavy Cro-Mo, often with generic Shimano SIS department store components, or noname stamped steel dreck mixed in with a few Alvio compnents. Everything on the Raleigh is solid (entry-level) brand name stuff, and you get an ALUMINIUM Frame that feels light and responsive. I bought this locally for $229.00!! An incredible value.

Similar Products Used: Trek 800, various by GT, Mongoose, KHS, Specialized
Brian Heemsoth   Weekend Warrior [Oct 12, 2000]
Strength:

Nice strong, lightweight frame.

Bottom of the line, cranks, pedals, deraiulers. {I took the bike mountain biking a few times and i, smashed the rear deraiuler, bent the cranks and cracked the pedals}

When the bike is stock, its great for paved trail riding and some beginner Mountain biking trails. When you upgrade the bike, like I did, you have the perfect bike for the weekend warrior. I reccomend this bike to the beginning mountain biker, since the lightweight frame can be updated as you become a more advanced rider.

Similar Products Used: NONE
Claude   Weekend Warrior [Nov 20, 1999]
Strength:

lightness, responsivness, quality of equipment

Brakes could be a higher quality and saddle is surprising.

Great bike for the money. If you're looking for an affordable aluminum frame coming with a good entry level equipment, you should test this bike before to buy antything else ... and regret later ! So far, I've not been disapointed by this bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 800 & 820 (AL)
Schwinn Mesa
Mongoose SX 4.3
Specialized Hardrock
Fuji Sunfire
Peugeot Greystone
Clay Angelly   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 1999]

My recent purchase of the Raleigh M40 is my first step in getting back into mountain biking more seriously. I have been very impressed with the overall quality and craftsmanship with this bike. It is definitely a great value at under $300. The tires prove to be excellent for riding on pavement with their semi-centered stud pattern in addition to handling the rough stuff with ease.

Douglas   Weekend Warrior [Apr 21, 1999]
Strength:

Price

A great entry-level bike (which is what I was looking for). For the small $300 dollar price tag, it is a better value than others in the same price category. Bought one for my wife also and she also loves the bike. If you are an entry-level biker, not looking for all the features and price of the high-end bikes, the Raleigh M40, gets my endorsement.