Raleigh 1999 M30 Rigid Bike

1999 Raleigh M30, mountain bike, non-suspension, Shimano AceraX components, Raleigh fork

darrinw2001   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2010]
Strength:

strong frame, components work great for a 1999 bike. solid feel but not heavy..

I bought this as a project/back-up bike since I found it at Goodwill for $20 I could not pass it up. a little lube and minor adjustment and works great! Gonna work great as a back up bike!

ZTSRacer   Weekend Warrior [Oct 23, 2008]
Strength:

Frame, Handlebars, Shifters, Derailers

Tires, Front Fork

I have owned this bike since 1998 when it was first released. It is a great bike, there are many people out there that hate on Raleigh and Diamondback, but, those are the people who just buy a bike to ride and expect to not have to upkeep there bike ever in there life.

This bike has been everywhere with me since I was a sophomore in highschool. I use it still to this day here in Savannah after I moved from Michigan in 2004. I would like to switch out to a front fork suspension for those wooded trail rides to give some relief to my arms.

If I ever upgrade to a new bike it would be Raleigh unless I put out a lot of money and get a nice cannondale.

Borat Langyeo   Downhiller [May 28, 2007]
Strength:

Very Strong!!

rims.. not so much

VERY NICE! VERY NICE! I LIKE! I LIKE! VERY NICE! VERY NICE! I LIKE! I LIKE! L AL ALALALALALAL LA LA LA LA LAL AL ALA ALALALAL LAL LAL AL LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ALA ALA ALA L ALLALALALALA LALALAL LAL LAL LAM BOARAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: BMX Always it very nice
tony   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2001]
Strength:

frame, seat, brakes, color, tires, strength and durability.

the rims.... i have warped the front rim, and drivin the spokes throught the back rim so after couple of rides i would have a flat.

this is an amazingly strong bike. i ride this bike in the city as well as on the trails and on either the dirt or the street it rides great. i go down flights of stairs, jump of smaller flights of stairs and get air off of boulders. the bike could take everything all the punishment that i gave it. the only problem was the weak rims.

Similar Products Used: none
david benninga   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2001]
Strength:

strong frame, nice colour, strong stem, everyone here thinks is costs twice as much

a little heavy which can be felt on steep climbs, gears need some maintenence

best deal for the price, very strong frame, anything similar is much more expensive, keeping the chain greased avoids problems, strong frame and good looks, did two races with it and placed in one, have been offer the same price I paid for it, my 23 year old son has one too and we're really happy. for racing I'd like a lighter bike with better setup.

Similar Products Used: trek and giant
boby   Downhiller [Oct 16, 1999]
Strength:

nice light bike i tear it up on the trais and it dose not suck up the trai,or somthing

chain sucks hard it broke falls off all the time

im the best biker in the world my next trip is on the top of mt everest!have u herd of me my name is boby buchey the biker boy huhuhuhuhuhohehahumdum buy the way ive won45 thousand terniments!

Similar Products Used: all of that crap and all the trecs and all the cannondales and all the speacilized.
Mark McCarty   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 18, 1999]
Strength:

Solid construction, chromoly tubing, components, controls, and all terrain tires that come with the bike; it's a great value for the money!Plus, it's made in America, so you help your fellow Americans when you purchase the M-30. That made me feel good about purchasing this bike over comparable models, most of which are made in Taiwan.

The exposed control cables mounted at the apex of the top tube; if you're not careful while mounting/dismounting, you can catch the cables with your legs. I know that most mountain bikes have their control cables mounted on the top tube, but Raleigh could cover up theirs.I had problems with the seat post. Paul replaced it free of charge, and I have had no problems with it since then.The only other problem I had with the bike is that the handlebar stem was loose. When I braked hard, it would move out of its detent. It didn't pose a safety problem; it was more nerve wracking than anything. I took it to Paul, and he had it tightened & fixed in five minutes.The problems I had with the bike were minor; they were easily and quickly fixed.

If you're looking for a great first mountain bike, or you're looking for a spare one, get the M-30. This bike was a great buy for $300! That INCLUDED the goodies Paul threw in with it too. Oh, I got my bike in May, which is right in the middle of the season, when bikes cost the most. Even if one were to pay full price for all the items I got with it, this bike would STILL be a great value for the money.I ride this bike on both pavement and off. The tires have a unique knobby design. There are knobbies all over the tire, but, in the center of the tire, the knobbies have a staggered design. The knobby on the right side of the tire does not line up with the one on the left side of the tire. This reduces the flex of the knobbies that come into contact with the surface, thus reducing rolling resistance on pavement. However, if you go off-road with this puppy, there are enough knobbies to provide good traction on all but the softest mud or sand. I've ridden this sucker on and off road, so I know what the tires will do.I purchased this bike for the following reasons: 1) to have spare bike to ride when my road bike is in the shop; 2) to explore the Delaware Canal trails, which have hard packed sand; 3) explore the construction sites near my house; and ride the fire roads in the Pine Barrens. With these 'mission requirements' in mind, the M-30 was the PERFECT bike for me. It's done what I wanted it to do, and it's done it well.Is this the ultimate mountain bike? No, it is not. But, it doesn't have the ultimate price, either. For most of us, the bottom line matters, amen?But, if you're looking for the ultimate mountain bike VALUE, the M-30 is it! You will not get as much bike for the money anywhere. Neither are the comparable rigid frame mountain bikes likely to do as much as the M-30 does, let alone do them as well. I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!!In closing, if you're looking for a mountain bike that gives you bang for the buck, the M-30 is it. If you're looking for a well built mountain bike, the M-30 is it. If you're looking for a mountain bike that does many things well, the Raleigh M-30 is DEFINITELY it! The only bugaboo is the exposed control cables; I give this bike four (4) stars. If you buy an M-30, you will be happy... :)Oh, one more thing-if you're in NJ, buy one from Glendola Bikes; you'll be happier still! Paul, the owner, and Pete, his assistant, know their stuff; they can help you buy the bike or accessory that's right for YOU. They also treat you right; if you have problems, they will fix them for you, and do so cheerfully. If you're in NJ, get your M-30 from Glendola Bikes! They're on Belmar Blvd., by Colfax Plaza, in Wall Twp. Their number is (732) 681-5264. Happy riding, folks!

Similar Products Used: None
chris guerrtte   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 1999]
Strength:

price,frame,seat

rims,cables

i tried many bikes in this range and a little more pricey.The m30 ate them up.Strong agile,quick.sharp it did it all.I beat it badly like it was a suspendtion bike and all i did was warp the rear rim.M30 came back for more and more.I do some street riding its great for that to,but if you want a strong give me a beaten bike for under three bills look no further the m30 boys and girls.

Similar Products Used: gt outpost
Jerud   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 1999]

Front derailer continually upsets me. Drops chain despite professional adjustment. Chains wraps-around ruins the frame at least once a week.

An excellent all around bike. Works excellent on the local off-road trails. Grips even muddy and soft terrain well. Takes tree roots and rocks without blinking. Does great on pebbled roads and pavement. Appears slow on sidewalks - no explanation here.I end up going on-road more often than not and may be switching to street tires later this year. Also considering seat suspension. Wondering if a larger front sprocket might help alleviate the problem I have with the chain flying up behind the sprocket and cutting into the frame.Overall, an excellent bike for the dollar. First rented one up at Lake Itasca and fell in love.

Mark McCarty   Cross-Country Rider [May 19, 1999]
Strength:

Price, construction, materials, components, all terrain tires, saddle, color, versatility, adjustable cable tension, and features

Cable placement and design, with the brake and shifter cables running along the apex of the top tube.

The Raleigh M30 is a solid, basic bike that is good on the road and off. It offers good, all-round performance, quality, good looks, all at a price that will make you smile! In short, this bike offers V-A-L-U-E.Soon as I brought it home, I took it out to a construction site near my house. It had rained recently, and some of the ground was like hard oatmeal. My M30 just ate it up! It had no problem negotiating the soggy construction site, especially when I put the chain on the small crank.The M30 is also good on the road. Its staggered, center ridge knobby tires provide a good ride on pavement! The rolling resistance one would find with conventional knobby tires is not there; you're not pushing 'snow tires'. These tires are not for the hardcore off-road rider. They are meant for all types of terrain, and they will do this reasonably well.Still, the off-road performance of the tires is good. They're more than adequate for anyone but the most serious off-road riders. This bike, because of its all terrain tires, is good on both pavement and trails. It's no slouch off-road, though! The bike felt just as much at home at the construction site as it does on pavement. Versatility is one of the strengths of the M30.This is not a top of the line bike. It is a good, solid bike providing value. However, it is much nicer than the mountain bikes that were available back in 1986, when I purchased my last bike, a Marukin 12 speed road bike. Technology has truly come a long way! This bike would have been the best of the best back in 1986! It's still quite good now...The only gripe I have with this bike is the cables. They're laid out on the top tube, and they're exposed. It would seem to me that they could have, and should have been covered.In conclusion, if you're looking for your first mountain bike, or you're looking for a spare one, you're a fool if you don't look at the M30. This bike provides a lot for the money! If you're looking for a solid, basic, go anywhere machine without paying a fortune, this is the bike! Whether you're going off-road or on, whether you're taking a pleasure trip or commute, the M30 is up to the task. Happy riding!

Similar Products Used: None