Motiv 2001 Ground Pounder Rigid Bike

2001 Ground Pounder

aplasmen   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2010]
Strength:

For a Non professional rider like me. This bike can do everything I need.

I could not find any so far.

I think for 25.00 bucks I can not ask for more. Plus it has full suspension. I found just few scratches on it.
May be if I were a Professional biker I could ask for more, but Im not. The good benefit is after 3 months riding this bike, I have not complaints at all. May be when I will ready to the next Olympics in London I will need and buy a carbon one. Meanwhile I ride this good bike just for fun, nothing else!
and Way be I can make some profit in the future for selling it for 50.00 bucks for bike collectors..!

Similar Products Used: none
Tom Everroad   Downhiller [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

aluminum frame, good drivetrain, cheap, 24 speed, shimano cranks and hubs, cheap, very sturdy, has the nicest saddle I've ever riden, did i mention it was cheap

stock tires didn't grip, stock fork was very short on travel and too flexible, gripshifters are not my favorite, no sealed bearings, seatpost is a little short- but so am I, pedals could be grippier

After my modifications, I still have a super tight freeride bike for under $600. What more needs to be said.

Similar Products Used: Scott, Gary Fisher, KHS
Ed   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2007]
Strength:

After more than 10 years, so far so good, but I admit I don't abuse it or ride it all that much.

Kind of heavy.

It's served me fairly well for 10 years now and has never broken down. Then again, I don't jump it or race it or do anything hardcore with it. Do mostly easy trails a few times a year and ride around the neighborhood on occasion. Was able to keep up with my buds on more expensive bikes, too. Also, mine is so old it did not come with shocks. And yes, I paid about $130 or so back then. Guess prices have gone up over time.

Similar Products Used: Trek 800 - rode pretty good, too.
Joe P   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Inexpensive, great customer service, easily upgradeable.

Rather heavy (apprx. 34 lbs.), Motiv's website has been "under construction" for over a year.

When I first saw this bike, it blew me away. The frame design was a copy of more expensive brands like GT and Giant but without the accompanying high price. I came to this website and read some of the reviews. I was astonished by how many bike snobs there are out there. I am not a fan of grip shifters, so I raplaced them right away w/ acera ez fire's. I went ahead and replaced the rear derailer w/ acera's & in the process, I chewed up the thread of the rear suspension frame. No problem, because Motiv had designed the rear suspensin frame so that the rear derailer is attached to a seperate subframe. I called the 1-800 # that's listed on the bike, & spoke to someone who was courteous & helpful. He sent the replacement part at no charge.

This bike is not a downhill ride, it is not marketed that way. This bike is for folks who ride light trails and jump curbs in suburban areas.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose
William Veltheim   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2002]
Strength:

rugged and takes a beating

original saddle, Lacks snob appeal

This bike is a great bike for the money the frame is welded nicely and everything works well. I have dumbed, bumped and ground this thing and it still works fine. The only problem is that it is heavy. I agree with the others that the only thing that is really lacking is snob appeal. I have looked at upgrading but in order to get an equal bike I would have to pay twice the money. So until Im ready to spend 4 times as much Ill just hang on.

Similar Products Used: Tried the raleigh, and one of the scwinns
Amit   Weekend Warrior [Feb 19, 2002]
Strength:

Very good value for money.

Servicing at bike shops is expensive

Great bike for the price that I have paid.
Have gone around looking for bikes that I should upgrade to from this, haven't yet found one that is as much value for money.

Similar Products Used: Vertical and other Target/K.Mart Store bikes
Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 17, 2002]
Strength:

Generally very nice for around town and the few easy trails I've ridden. For my first full suspension bike I think this was the best choice. Definitely didn't want to blow $400+ on a bike I wasn't sure I wanted. Used to ride hard until a couple of major injuries and general laziness kept me off for awhile. Now I'm ready to get back and excited about all of the stuff on the high end bikes. Especially the full suspension bikes. Kind of a fluke I found this at just the same time I was shopping all of the dealerships because I normally don't even look at bikes at Target or Wal-Mart, I just detoured down the wrong aisle at Costco and this thing blew me away. Researched it on the 'Net before I bought it and these reviews were a big part of my decision to buy. I can't wait to take it out on some of the harder trails around and I just heard of a mountain bike park a little ways up north (Sanford, I think) that's really challenging. Hoody Hoo!

This really pissed me off, but I had to have the company send me a longer seat post! Per Frank at Customer Service, the seat post is "a little shorter than normal" (He wouldn't agree that it was 'shorter than standard' or 'sub-standard' so that's his direct quote) and that this was exactly what the bike came with and Motiv didn't carry anything different. He tried to direct me to an outside company or my local bike shop to get a regular seat post at an additional cost of $25! Of course, I wasn't happy with that and eventually he agreed to send me a standard seat post (which happened to be lying around, even though Motiv doesn't carry them - a "demo seat post" (though it looks like it was never used)) after I told him I'd be posting my thoughts to some of the review sites on the 'Net. Got it in two days. But why a $250 bicycle with name brand hardware doesn't come with a seat post the correct length is outrageous! Don't get me started on how company's take advantage of the common consumer.

I would have to say that I'm probably the target market for this bike. I'm 29, 5' 10", 240lbs (mostly muscle - no lie!) Haven't ridden in a while, just getting back into trail riding, need some around town transportation & don't mind spending the money on something that will be a good starter bike. But reading around these reviews it looks like I couldn't have found a better bike, even at a higher cost. I've taken it off-road a bit to see if I still have my 'trail legs' and I've been generally impressed. The one thing that really bugged me, though, was the "a little shorter than normal" (per Frank at Motiv Customer Support - Hi, Frank :P ) seat post and the hassle of getting one the correct length! Be aware: This is a 'HIDDEN COST' of the bike! There's absolutely no reason that a $250 bike shouldn't come with a seat post of normal length! And then to have the Customer Service rep give me a crock about Motiv not providing normal length posts until I threatened that I would review the bike and expose this fault - as I am :) - before he'd finally send it to me - This was like a 30 minute call and I almost didn't think I'd get this type of resolution. It may not be possible to do it again.
Anyway - generally a great purchase. I can't see why they don't provide all of the necessary equipment, but if you don't mind spending an additional $25 or so just to get it up to spec, then don't hesitate to purchase it. My buddy I mentioned above is still impressed "My bike doesn't even have that!" Can't find a better deal anywhere. Hopefully this will last long enough for me to get used to full suspension on the trails before I upgrade (if I even have to!). Great buy! Rated down a point on each rating for the seat post hassle.

Similar Products Used: Nothing - Just getting back into riding, but I have a friend who practically lives on his bike and he was very impressed by the hardware - shocks and shifters - and the feel of the bike, that he's considering this as his next bike! Believe me, that's quite a recommendation (he used to work at a bike shop).
Tran-Shawn   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2002]
Strength:

everything. off brand shox. the rear shock bounces to much and the front spring is to weak.

this is not a good bike. go to a bike shop and buy a real bike not a toy. can't upgrade because all the parts aren't like name brand parts except for the gears and deraileur. Don't Buy this bike.

Similar Products Used: giant, gt
PANHEAD   Weekend Warrior [Jan 18, 2002]
Strength:

This is one comfortable mustha,mines the motiv rockpoint.
cruises over curbs, steps, hills & everything else in the
way.. has great frame and paint with good ergo's. Spin's right up to decent speed in the blink of an eye. Is heavy but geared to where you really could care less. Bought two
one for my friend. She is a desk jockey and is still breathing thru her nose after eight miles. Basically this
bike was a steal and we are overjoyed. Oh yeah, the fisher
riders were totally profiling (and parked) and of course
never saw us ride within 2 feet of them!!! Dig the deal!!!

steering stem has no up/down adjustment.

Slightly scratched, fully warrantied MTB for $80.00. with
really great feel. Dual shocks, rocks. Can U say sold?

Similar Products Used: american eagle, cannondale.
Daniel Moreno   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2001]
Strength:

Full suspension. Nice price. Nice brakes. Nice shifting. Its got some brand name components. It can handle a lot of rough terrain.

Back shock doesnt work the greatest, unless your pretty heavy.The back shock is kinda heavy. The front of the bike tends to pop up while climbing steep hills. Considered a department store bike.

You cannot find a better bike in this price range. If you wanna show of a bike that you spent a lot of money on, dont get this. If you wanna ride and have fun and dont care about brand names, get this. Ive taken this bike through a whole lot and so far it still handles like new. Whoever said this bike has cheap welds, tell me, have u breakin one yet? I didnt think so. And hey, if you did, call up Motiv and they will give you another one for free. GREAT BIKE!!! (I gave it a four for overall rating just because its not a major name brand bike)

Similar Products Used: Cannondale...but I dont think thats simular, though I know i can tear them up on this bike.