Kona 2000 Kaboom Rigid Bike

Kona, Shimano components, Mavic X221 rims.

Paul   All Mountain Rider [Nov 02, 2014]
Strength:

Super light
Handles well

Rescued out of a skip and did a little tlc on it

First ride was great really enjoyed it handles as well as modern bike

Loves tight single track

Took it some reall technical stuff no problem

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000
Danmanbiker   Racer [Jul 02, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight, stiff, Glow-in-the-Dark Decals, and BMX-like fun on a mountain bike!!

Aluminum frame, harsh feel over rough stuff, doesn't flex or "give" like my Reynolds 853 geared frame.

This bike is F-U-N!!! I bought this bike because I was getting bored of riding the local trails near my house on my geared bike. The simplicity and low maintenance of a singlespeed also appealed to me. I thought a singlespeed would add some challenge to my rides.
The bike weighs in at around 20lbs, which is pretty light even for a singlespeed. The gearing is a 39T chainring and 18T cog, leavingit at a 2.11 gear ratio. I will probably in the future change it out to a 34/18 or 34/18 gearing to facilitate the steep climbs in my area. I also like that Kona has gone back to making steel singlespeeds with the 2002 Kona Unit. I eventually want to upgrade my frame to either a Unit, Gunnar Ruffian, or On-One Inbred.
The ride at first took some getting used to, since my geared bike is a Reynolds 853 frame with some flex and give. The aluminum was a little rough going over bumps, but the Judy SL helped solve that problem. The frame is a 16", which was a pretty small for me. My geared is a 17.5", and I felt like I was riding an oversized BMX bike. This added to the fun of the ridem making it very manueverable and accellerating like a jackrabbit. The first two rides I took, I torqued the chain so hard I broke it, leaving em to walk home from the trail. Other than this, I have had no other problems.

I have rode several times with friends on their geared bikes, and they're always supprised at how fast I can ride even with one gear. I love the look on riders faces when I pass them and they realized I have 23-26 fewer gears on my bike! I think I might even get into racing on the local level on the singlespeed, and really try to podium. I think I 'll probably do better in a singlespeed race than I would in a geared race! Overall, I think everyone should have a singlespeed in their quiver of bikes, so JOIN THE REVOLUTIONS!

Similar Products Used: None (this is my first singlespeed)
JUAN   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2002]
Strength:

SIMPLE, BUT STRONG, NICE FLAT BLACK COLOR & CHROME COMBO LOOKS TOUGH.

FOR THE PRICE, I'M STILL LOOKING FOR ONE?

I USE THIS BIKE AT MY LOCAL TRAILS AND MOCK ALL THE GEARED UP ROADY/M.T.BIKER HALF BREEDS. IT WILL HOME IN YOUR SKILLS AND THE MOST SURPRISING DISCOVERY WAS HOW MUCH MEGA FUNNN THIS BIKE IS, YES RIGID AND SS SPEED. THE KONA KABOOM,MY CHEAPEST BIKE, IS THE ONE I'M ENJOYING THE MOST. THE FUN FACTOR IS = TO MY MUCHO MONEY BULLIT(DON'T GET ME WRONG IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE BIKE IN ALL THE WORLD IT WOULD BE MY BULLIT) BUT THE JOY I GET IS = TO THE KABOOM!!!!!

Similar Products Used: I OWN: SANTA CRUZ BULLIT, SPECIALIZED SUSP. M4 S WORKS, KONA JAKE THE SNAKE, OLD SCHOOL MANATOU HTAIL DUAL SLALOM.
P Casey   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2002]
Strength:

Great Kona Customer Support, very light, stiff setup, great crank, runs nicely with clipless pedals, looks great, and of course glow in the dark stickers. For commuting - no gears to tune, can withstand road salt well because no cogs to collect it. Few easy things to steal - no shifters, etc.

Had some problems with components - see below. I emailed Kona Customer Support though and told them the situation and them called my shop, discussed the situation and everything was repaired under warranty. Many thanks to Kona Customer Support and Cyclesmith Halifax for their help!

I only use the bike for commuting so I can't really say for off roading but it sure manages to turn heads around turn and people love to see the single speed!

Similar Products Used: no SS's
P Casey   Cross Country Rider [Jan 06, 2002]
Strength:

Overshadowed by disappointing components.

I have owned the Kaboom for about 8 months and only ride commute on it on the road, I never use it offroad. I have already broken a spoke while riding on the road, the rear hub (a ball bearing crushed and ruined the hub), the front brake (avid 20s when a tension adjusting spring broke in two while road riding), and I have had to replace the bb because it grinded itself down after about two months. The rear wheel also slips loose when I give it a hard run up a hill because of too much pressure on the poorly designed setup to keep the rear wheel put.

Design flaws with securing the rear wheel, components broke on the road, wouldn't trust this thing enough in a million years to ride it off road. Will never buy another SS nor Kona again, this was a $650 disappointment.

Similar Products Used: No single speeds
Chad Lanes   Downhiller [Jan 01, 2002]
Strength:

Good price for a complete single speed. It's a good package to start with and cheaper than trying to build one from scratch. One of the coolest bike names ever.

The steering is way too fast with the rigid fork. I put a 63mm Judy XC on mine and it could easily handle a 80mm fork. I would prefer it to be steel (like to '02 Kona Unit single speed).

Overall this is an excellent, very fun to ride bike. I bought it because the idea of a single speed to ride around town appealed to me with my BMX background. My buddy that owns the local shop where I bought it talked me into riding it on the local trails, which tend to go straight up, then straight down. I thought I would die a premature death but it's a lot more fun than it sounds. The Kona Unit (their single speed for 2002) is built from True Temper Platinum steel and set up similarly; it should ride nicer and be a bit more durable. I put a dime sized dent in the down tube of the Kaboom on my second or third ride, but with Kona's warranty reputation I'm not worried. Be a man (or woman) and give a SS a try.

Similar Products Used: No other single speeds. I have a couple 20" BMX bikes, a 24" cruiser, a ti. geared hardtail, and a Stinky freeride bike.
Geoff King   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2006]
Strength:

Light, strong, fun

Doesn't come with health dept. warning for possible results of excessive mtbing enjoyment.

Riding the Kaboom is the most fun I have had on a bike in years. I got into single speeding recently as a way of avoiding a midlife crisis (impending 4oth birthday) and when I saw this bike for sale via the internet, I jumped at the chance to own YET ANOTHER BIKE (direct quote from my wife!) Have not regretted it since. Still enjoy riding my much more expensive full suspension rig on longer cross-country and esp. hilly epics, but nothing compares with the fun factor of blasting around some flat (ish) local single track on the Kona, and passing younger people on much more expensive bikes. Sure, the fillings in my teeth get rattled around by a frame that has absolutely no give in it, but the surprising thing is that I probably ride faster nonetheless. It's certainly turning me into a more aggressive rider when climbing, and also honing my technical skills (and sense of what I can ride over without suspension and minimal to no use of brakes.) Am now an enthusiastic advocate of 'the power of one'.

Similar Products Used: None - first Single speed experience
Marcus   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2000]
Strength:

As light as my road bike, solid components, glow-in-the-dark stickers, Olive color looks burly.

Rigid fork, handlebar is too high and heavy, kona platform pedals, Cheng shin tubes. Chainstays are too long to wheelie easily!

Even though it's one of the cheapest single-speeds, I still think it could be cheaper. It cost me over $800 after upgrades. BUT, it's fantastically light and more fun than anything I've ever ridden. I can spin just fast enough to get a good workout riding with my girlfriend on the bike path and it's like doing intervals on the trail. No more chasing telephone poles on my road bike! It climbs like a goat and handles impeccably. A flat bar just doesn't look right with the sloping top tube, so resist the urge to compensate for the short, high stem. The stock alligator tires are fine, but since it never rains in L.A. I swapped for 'raptors. One warning about single-speeding: stay away from long climbs! I did a 3-mile descent and coming back was the most painful thing ever. Make sure your cranks and bottom bracket are tight, as well as the rear-wheel bolts. Climbing's really hard on the drivetrain. The 2001 looks more like a jump bike, so get that one if you're into that sort of thing. You can see it at www.konabmx.com