GT 2001 Talera Rigid Bike

GT 2001 Talera Rigid Bike

[Feb 09, 2016]
Ron

Strength:

It just goes forever. I bought mine in 1995 for $345 from my friends bike store, which has been closed for almost 15 years. I remember because I caught a DWI in college and needed a new bike because walking blows. Anyway, I found this site because I still have it and use it all the time, and I messed up the threads on the crank while switching pedals. I never garaged it. Snow, rain, etc... Only rust is the neck bolt and cables. And I bought one rear tire. In 20 years.

Shifters are trash. My brake cable came loose and the rear caliper dropped and got caught in a spoke, which twisted the frame like a wrung out rag so I can't use the rear brake. Independent calipers shouldn't be screwed into a threaded coupling on a frame, in my opinion, because a cross-thread or a situation like mine makes the brakes unusable. An adjustable mechanism with a breakaway bolt would be optimal, but I think most bikes have the same setup. It just sucks because it's the frame, not the replaceable front fork.

With a basic understanding of bikes and light tuning you could have this thing until you die. Keep in mind you'll need to eventually replace the shifters, but mine lasted about ten years. At the moment I ride in one gear because I just don't care enough to spend the money.

[Jan 01, 2002]
Ron Spirit

Strength:

Like a rock !!!
I bought them 4 years ago. Ever since I never had any problem, even the smallest. I rode the bikes like a lunatic and nothing was damaged!!.
I changed the fork to RST and it improved my stability.

A bit heavy...

Great value for the begginer !!
One of the strongest I met !!!
Recently I mooved to Giant NRS 2 and there is a big different, but it's obvious...a different scale.

Giant Iguana

[Mar 09, 2004]
Jim

Strength:

Incredible frame in resiliant CrMO steel ! Bulletproof design, great performance from a simple, unsprung, user-maintainable MTB.

Decent but dated and unexceptional transmission and brakes - but well worth replacing, piece by piece, if your frame is good as new (which most are, thanks to... see above!)

This bike, along with a lot of similar, older CrMO models from GT, can be recommended enthusiastically to (1) newbie trail riders who really shouldn't be dumping mega-bucks before they really know what they really need, (2) low-budget college students and wheel-less urbanites who just want to get around, (3) old school reactionaries who LIKE steel frames better than dead-riding aluminum, and (4) trail fanatics who like the performance of hardtail bikes and enjoy messing around with upgrades to get just the ride they want. These grossly undervalued GT bikes - check out your local thrifts and pawnshops for bargains! - are an ideal foundation for building up. They ride amazingly well in stock configuration, but they also pay back small, gradual investments in newer bits - with interest!

One caveat: GT bikes are sized a little weird. Try riding before buying. Most people I know - including me - discovered that they needed a smaller GT frame than what they were used to being comfortable with on other bikes. E.g., I'm 5'8+" with a 31" inseam, which usually means a 17" or 17.5" frame; on every GT model I've tried that frame size was always TOO BIG. A 16" proved to be just right.

Thanks to GT and the LPS - Local Pawn Shops - you don't have to save forever before hitting the trails, or put yourself in VISA hell for year and years!

Specialized, Nishiki, various pre-Pacific buyout Schwinns.

[Apr 09, 2004]
Sam

Strength:

Stiff stiff stiff, Not a bit of rust on it despite some major scratches. it also is discreet looking enough not to attract robbers.

Can't think of any.. a part from the quality of the equipment mounted as standard on it, but that's where the fun lays.

This is one bike that grows with your biking.
With enough knowlege and a relatively small amount of cash, you can dress this baby up for some serious competitions. Mine's exactly the same weight as the 2002 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp and i would never swap it for a soggy alu frame.
It's not the downhill type although fitness would compensate for some of the lacking comfort on that sort of terrain.
Get one quick and start having fun

GT Zaskar, Specialized Rockhopper A1 Comp.

[Jul 10, 2001]
Shane Gouldrthread
Downhiller

Strength:

everythin, my gt has bike has been through races n all that those things a bike could go n more!!!

none! its the bomb! she never let me down ever n she wont gt
has never failed me or my brother!!!

ive been ridin since i was 8 but i had a huffy n my brother had a gt n he raced n rode wit my uncle n sum other guys.
then one day he was ridin his frame cracked so the bike shop called a gt rep. n he said send it in, then he got new one
that was two years newer. when i turned 11 i bought it off him.now im 14yrs old ridin wit my uncle n some of our friends ridin any were from 30 to 65 miles on sat,n sunday. we ride all things n everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
n i ride every day i can. my gt never let me down shes always been there! it takes the abuse so i dont have to!
*u dont need a good bike its just the rider*
*in memori of my felo rider*
sh@ne

fisher,cannondale,trek, n more...

[Jun 19, 2005]
Stephen

Strength:

Strongest, toughest rigid bike I could have asked for. Provides for optimal balance regardless of speed and will not break! It takes a lickin'... The triple-triangle design offers stability and with just enough grasp.

Most components will need upgrading. Ok, all components will need upgrading. Weight.

To become a great rider you must be balanced. A rigid bike such as this one provides for a great opportunity to grow in this area by becoming connected to the feel of the trail. New riders often get sucked into overpriced bikes with equipment that will take them years to grow into if at all. If you want to grow with your bike, this ride is for you. This bike is tough as nails.

Giant Iguana, GT Timberline

[Nov 20, 2006]
Renee M

Strength:

Takes a licken and keeps on Ticken!!

Needed new gears after year 10

The Bottom Line is I've had this bike for 13 years. I had to upgrade my gears 3 years ago, but My point awesome bike. No rust, when I got it from my mother I cleaned it up a bit and it looked brand new. Will recommend this bike until the day I die. Thanks for a great product.

[Mar 01, 2007]
Sean

Strength:

Handled well

Heavy

After about 3 faithful years of off road use and 2 years of commuting this poor old beast died. First the forks bent and cracked, then the downtube cracked, which is when it was retired. It was a fun bike to ride on firetrails but really too heavy and not enough suspension for off road. RIP.

[Sep 09, 2003]
jana

Strength:

durable, it has lasted me 10 years

heavier than some other models, but it was pretty light back then

I bought this bike in 1993 after my daughter was born. Yes, that means I got the baby bike seat and everything. It got us to the park and back, then it got me around in college. Much easier and less expensive than trying to park, plus we had great trails to ride in the area. it has followed me all over the world. i rode it up (ugh) and down (yippeeee) the hills in Germany. Now we are in Charleston, SC and it is my primary transportation for work, plus the occasional weekend ride. now just need one for the kiddo. i love my Talera. i am just now having some problems with it. rather than buy a new one, i'm looking to fix it.
It has done the job great no matter what I have asked from it...it has been very versatile and reliable. It gets funny looks from people that seriously race off road and stuff, but it does the job just fine for those of us who aren't worried about racing.

only one I have had since i was a kid