GT 1999 Outpost Rigid Bike

1999 GT Outpost, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, GT rigid fork

Eleazar Pereda   Downhiller [May 11, 2009]
Strength:

light for a mountain bike with a strong chassie easy to repair and keeps on giving....

pedals and seat but then again its a mountain bike half the time your standing and enjoying the ride

The best bike i have had in my entire life durable doesn't ask for much and i feel like i got a great deal for it i recommend first riders to get one.

Similar Products Used: trek, huffys, and one specialized i tore apart literally bended the front rim left a good scar
sean   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2003]
Strength:

Great bike

none, I beat the crap out of mine non stop day in and day out.

dam good bike. I beat this thing so had it should have broken, but it didn't. I ride this thing though streams and mud holes. Best bike that i have ever used. it is better then my 3,000 dollar trek. this bike has balls. Just remember, like anything, if you beat it too had stuff will brake.

Similar Products Used: motive stonegrinder, giant, trek 220, trek 660, dimondback ignitor, mongoose expert, pacific, giant ocr1, rally 10 speed, ad some huffy throw aways
hi bye   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2001]
Strength:

Sucking at everything

drivetrain sucks, gears slip, derrailer broke, tire flatted, saddle ripped, grips slipped off, brake pads wore out, brake cable snapped, brake lever is too loose, 2nd chain ring never worked and the chain broke all in the first 2 months when i only used it for riding too school.

save your cash or buy something with higher quality components

Similar Products Used: specialised hard rock
Matthew   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2001]
Strength:

Rock-solid never-say-die frame/fork/wheelset.

Basic tuning of the derailleurs, stock seat, front brake caliper cable strap.

This is the 91 model, probably close to 1000 to 1500 miles. Never needed full rebuild. Regreased front hub bearings. Stock rims retrued countless times, as the rear wheel gets severe punishment from my sprints. Best hill climber I've ever ridden! Uphill about 30 - 40 degrees with rocks, gravel, sand a pleasure. Have "punished" the beast in snow with pressure lowered tires to 6-8 in deep -- fun. Just clean it UP when you're done. Inspires great confidence for any riding short of full comp. Very fast in front of suspended bikes with jeans and backpack of books!

Similar Products Used: My dad was their mechanic and I've always ridden something since I was 4. Vintage Schwinn Contintental my highest mileage beater.
willy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2001]
Strength:

It has a strong frame and is cheap to maintain. The bike is responsive and fast.

I'm not complaining for the price tag paid.

The little (1998)GT outpost is a fun little bike that gets me where i want to go. I cant perform funky drops off huge rocks, but then again it wasn't designed for that level of punishment. It's a great all around commuter bike and it does it's job well. It's a pleasure to zip past people in fancy bikes :)

Similar Products Used: none
milton   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2006]
Strength:

light, smooth, sexy, fast

pedals

it was a gift from my grandfather after he passed away, since ive gotten it, it has been my main source of transportation. I ride it daily and it has given me no problems at all. I can imagine this bike lasting me a very long time.

Similar Products Used: walmart bikes
Jason   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2006]
Strength:

I have always felt the whole bike is well built with quality components. Never had a complaint. the Blue color was always striking and an attention getter

Weight

I have owned my GT Outpost since 1994. I have never had a complaint about my bike besides the weight. My bike has been with me through school, Colorado, and even to Korea. I always felt it was going to break on one day but it had not failed until about two weeks ago when my rear cassete went out. I have taken my bike to places I should not have, but it took a beating and kept right on going. For an entry level bike I got more than my moneys worth out of it. I could have probably been through three or more bikes by now. Any one looking to enter into the offroad arena, and on a budget, should definitely look into the GT Outpost

Similar Products Used: None
kenny   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 05, 2000]
Strength:

strong frame, great shifters and brakes awesome climbing power and total show off bike if you get it in the color hot orange

my gosh!!!!!! this bike is awesome i jet passed all my friends its so fast i've ridden all kinds of bike and i love this one for the price how can you beat it get one a show off!!

Similar Products Used: none
Joe Simcina   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2001]
Strength:

Very well built and has a solid frame

The pedals have been giving me some trouble in wet weather and the rear delever couldnt withstand some mud and poped off into my wheel forcing me to buy a new wheel.

The outpost in my opinion a very well done bike by GT. It has a great ride for anytype of trail and gives you there good power of a hard tail.

Paul   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 1999]
Strength:

Durability

Components

I have had the Outpost for about 6 years and it has been serving me well. I was never much of an off road rider, but I did abuse it fairly well. This bike has held up through numerous bike accidents and the frame is in good shape. I just bought a new GT Karakoram and I love it, but the Outpost served my purposes great for all those years. I am currently in the process of taking the Outpost apart completely to upgrade it. For now the bike gets 3 stars, four stars if you upgrade some of the components.