Giant 2001 Boulder 550 Rigid Bike

2001 Boulder 550

Victor   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2001]

I don't know if this bike is the "Boulder 550" all it says is "boulder" but I guess that will have to do...
The frame has a nice solid feel to it, but it still has some give so it doesn't feel too much like riding on a jack hammer. The seat is really nice, I found it comfortable even on a 15 mile ride on the highway. I wouldn't suggest taking longer trips with it though. Components are nice too, not top of the line, but decent; something you can rely on. The tires have good grip on the cornering. Oh and I can't forget to mention the "mega range" gear on the rear cassette, it's huge! You could climb up stairs with no problem if the tires had better grip. It has 34 teeth on it.

The bike's frame is cro-mo and does weigh a bit(not that I mind too much). I guess that's what I get for $210. The tires could have more grip to it, but they're decent. Like I said before the frame does have some give to it; when I'm cranking down on with my right foot when I'm in the highest gear I can hear the chain rub up against the derailer. I believe this is mainly due to the frame flexing a little. However other than the noise it doesn't effect anything else on the bike mechically.

It's a nice bike for beginners(like me) and intermediates on developed trails. I'm going to upgrade in a year or two, but for now, the bike's going to do just well. It's bit heavier for a ridge, but it build character. ; ) For the price I got it for, it's an awesome deal! It's nice for riding around town for elite who might not feel comfortable about taking their multi thousand dollar bike to the ice cream shop and worry about it being stolen. Overall it's a well balanced bike and I would highly recommend it for beginners.

Similar Products Used: Specialized hardrock(it's back home in AK, I didn't have a chance to use it before I moved to CA for school)