Giant 1999 Upland Rigid Bike

1999 Giant Upland, mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components

Msdos5   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2009]
Strength:

Beefy rear

Grip shift

Great bike,
When I got it the origional seat fell apart, I put metal petals on an changed grips. Sence it featred a bashguard for derailer I striped the kickstand off an put a fender on it(Because all the trails here are equestrian) I got good gloves to counter ruff ride, I took off a 4 ft drop the Sun CC rims did fine. I also took it up to fortymph[the fstest Ive gone on@bike], looked into Brake Thearpy(rear) approx 300$ might acctuly do it because of frame. *See My Pic!!!

Similar Products Used: Lots
gmoser   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2008]
Strength:

I Have had this bike for about 9 years. Nothing has broken. Most of the miles were put on it during college and on the C&O canal towpath. More recently I have started taking it on some singletrack trails and so far it has held up. The shifts have always been solid, even from the crappy tourney components.

The saddle sucks... aside from this you really cant complain about a 9 year old entry level bike or its components when nothing has broken. It is heavy (especially by todays standards) but its a tank.

10 years and going strong. I got this when my Huffy was totaled in college when I got hit by a car. Performance sold me a 19.5" even though im only 5'7". I've spent a lot of time tweaking to get a comfortable fit out of a frame that is 2" too big. Ive got over 1K miles on this and its still totally stock (even the tubes!). Cant beat that. Just started doing some serious offroad riding so something is bound to break soon!

Similar Products Used: Newer Giant boulder, Cypress
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 1999]

Being a novice and this being an entry-level bike, there is not much to say except it seems like a solid first bike. No complaints thus far. I paid $199 locally.

Matt Johnson   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2001]
Strength:

My Upland is very durable. I am hard on bikes, and so far this bike is earning it's keep. I like the shimano brakes and quick shift gears.

sounds clunky in higher gears.

Giant makes great bikes!! I will more than likely buy other Bikes from them. The fram is strong, the brakes are good, and the gears are quick. Great bike for any rider!!

Eric   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2000]
Strength:

There are many, the brakes are great, very light frame, easy to ride

front fork, mine bent within a month of buying

I like this bike, it's really smooth and I havnt had to do much repairs on it, very light and easy to shift and brake, comfortable seat too.
I bought it at a local bike shop for $179.

Salman Shami   Weekend Warrior [Feb 23, 2000]
Strength:

The black and red paint job looks very good. Its reasonably light and very smooth to ride. Good rigid frame

None discovered so far.

I love it so far. It's my first bike after many many years and I am quite excited about it. Of course it is an entry level model so it doesn't have all the exotic bits that more expensive bikes have, however it is putting a smile on my face.

Similar Products Used: Norco Mountaineer
Jakub Mrva   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2002]
Strength:

My upgrade bike is excellent but no stong and
no light.

Hartail freeride with very bad fork.

No extreme bike but fun bike for all terain. It is a bike from the best company. Giant is mz favourite bike. I want to buy AC DS 2.

Seung Lee   Weekend Warrior [Dec 17, 2000]
Strength:

Good price/performance.

Rear deraileur got clunky after about 2 years.

I bought it to ride around college and occasionally ride off-road. It's a solid bike that I could depend on for 4 years before I sold it off for $40 bucks. However, I'd rather buy a front shocked system for a little more money.

Similar Products Used: none.