Diamondback 1999 Response Rigid Bike

Diamondback 1999 Response Rigid Bike

1999 Diamondback Response, mountain bike, non-suspension, Shimano AceraX components, Diamondback fork

[Dec 01, 2000]
vinny

Strength:

solid frame, S-bend seatstays, gusseted head tube, unique paint job, good geometry

less than mediocre 21speed component group, cheesy wheelset, no bar ends, rigid fork, terrible seat and seat post, whacky bottom bracket, weak pedals

I guess i would have to say that this was my first "real" mountain bike b/c it is built out of aluminum and has the sloping top tube. Anyway, I got this bike b/c i was broke as all hell and couldn't afford anything else and just wanted to ride! I figured i would just upgrade my components later. I found out that the frame IS the very heart of the bike. This frame was very strong and took the upgrades for about a year of hardcore riding(technical, dirt jumps, chutes, drops) I last had it set up with acceptable and replaceable parts such as an STX-RC drivetrain and a RS Indy C. Not to forget an LX bottom bracket b/c I blew the OE BB when I was doing a no footer off a curb. The only reason I'm not with it today is because the notorious "urban grizzlies" got their hands on it(it got stolen.) It is a good frame to hold on to as long as U plan on upgrading

specialized hardrock/cromo

[Aug 12, 2000]
Milly

Strength:

For the money, this bike can't be beaten. Frame is great to build on. STOP WHINING ABOUT THE COMPONENTS!!! You can't expect to get deore or lx componentry and a great frame by spending only 200 buck!! Common people! Diamondback name and quality with light frame design is what you pay for. THe other stuff came extra!

For the price, can't really complain about anything.

I really love the bike and I can't imagine having spent 200 better. My boyfriend, who bought the bike for me and also owns a xr-1, is about 6"'s taller than me and for fun he rode my bike around. He was surprised at the value and performance. We go riding up in n. georgia and I can keep up with him no problem. Like he says, once you get used to the bike and develop the fundamental skills needed, there is nothing holding you back. 5 flamers for value and performance. This bike has served me well and I love it!

my old cannondale

[Aug 12, 2000]
Carleton

Strength:

Light strong frame, perfect for upgrading

Heavy everything else

This bike was the obvious choice for my first bike in 10 years. I got an aluminum frame, Aheadset, and alot of heavy parts, which were in a box not long after my purchase. I did manage to BEND the bottom bracket at about 2 months, but the warrantee replacement hasn't let me down yet. next upgrade(s) will be drivetrain.

[Jun 09, 2000]
Sean

Strength:

LIGHT!!! I mean LIGHT!!! This bike is a perfect start/mid skill bike. The frame is light and super strong. Easy to build on. Great buy fro the money!

Ummmm. Cheap reflector???

Cannot believ you can get this bike for under $300 - it is one of the lightest bikes I have ever been on. If you are considering a lower-end suspension bike - take a look here; this is a better deal all-around. Besides it can easily be upgraded as you go. So far 5 little fire-log things.

Had a Trek 800 - but that is apples and oranges.

[May 15, 2000]
Mark Frampton

Strength:

Very light and priced right. $200 closeout at Oshmans with lifetime adjustments. Seems very stable for 175lb rider on 40psi.

Shift hardware is cheap. Critical to find common adjustment in reasonable gearing extremes where chain wont rub the derailer while in smallest and largest rings. Even if you do get it set up, it will loose adjustment soon and start rubbing again. The geometry with the front derailer is just too tight.

For $200, what can you expect. I can deal with it for now. Anybody on a budget can't go wrong with this very light bike.

Better this than the dreaded department store, fully suspended low end glitter bikes for $199 or less.

[Apr 15, 2000]
Kris Sheppard

Strength:

Lightwieght and relitivly cheap. Good all-around, fast, fun bike. Easy to upgade.

Shimano Accera not the greatest, in constant need of adjustment. Stock rims are very weak.

For under $400 I stay right on my friend's $1500 Jammis riding ass.

[Aug 16, 1999]
Bodie
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

The bike has a good frame and can be easily upgraded.

The components could have been a little better.

The Response is a good bike for the money. I was looking for a decent bike I could upgrade into a very nice ride. I am very happy with it.

[Feb 11, 1999]
Mike Holtkamp
cross-country rider

This is a good overall bike for the price. Aluminum frame is strong yet light but deraileurs components could be of higher quality. The second day I had the bike the Acera front unit had to be taken off and replaced by a Shimano XTR. I have not yet had a problem with the one piece brake/shift levers but if one portion were to fail the whole unit would have to be replaced. No suspension fork but I would rather have that then a low-grade, unadjustable suspension fork. For the price this is a good bike.

[Jul 30, 1999]
Eric
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Value. Build a great bike from a great frame.

Components could be higher quality

Am very happy with this bike. I wanted a resonable entry level price with a justified feeling for upgrading the components without overdoing the frame itself. I like quality components and for the price of a prebuilt bike with mediocre components, I would rather spend the extra money on good stuff. This frame is perfect to build on. I upgraded to the Sachs freewheel for more top end and a much smoother feel. I had to replace the chain since the Z chain didn't mesh well on the Sachs. I had to replace the bottom bracket when it was a month old. Diamondback has had a bad batch from what I understand. They replaced it with a better bracket but I do not know the name.