Cannondale 2001 M1000 Rigid Bike

Fernando Guerrero   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2003]
Strength:

This bike is awesome, stiff, light, and goes way fast downhill even though is a hardtail. Original setup in not quite adecuate, but some aftermarket pieces makes it my preffered bike.
Good looking, rides great on road or mountain, and climbs like a motorkie... this bike rocks.
It's a Cannondale!

My stikers are all worn out, and the tires have been changed a few times due to wear... but that's normal, right?

Well, I tried to change bike in 2002, but the Rockhoper is not a s good or as light... this is the bike I ride all the time, almost everyday since 1999, and it still rocks....
I got it from a guy who was moving to another town and I paid like $200... with the shock and all... it was a great deal...
This is one of the lightest frames I have ever seen, and the construction, like Cannondale has us acustomed, it flawless...

I just wish that the guys at Cannondale had replacement stikers for my bike.... hell, I might even ask them...

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rock Hopper comp 2002
varios hard tails
OVERALL
Konrad Solomon   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2002]
Strength:

Straight off, this review is for my 1997 M1000. Bought it new and still loving it almost 5 years later. OK, Strengths: light weight, surprisingly nice ride but overall leans toward stiff (my preference), excellent handling dynamics and just gets better with improved componentry. Particular likes are the stiff rear triangle and the weight and geometry which allow you to handle this bike predictably and expertly over varying terrain that heavier, slower bikes would run screaming from. It's a tool that likes to be used properly and expertly for its purpose.

Hasn't happened yet, but foreseeably some day it will have reached its finite lifespan. Happily, Cannondale will still be around to provide the replacement frame. At full retail, this was not a cheap bike, but then, it's well-made and had a pretty good component spec. Ultimately, the aftermarket can supply better parts than were to be had from Cannondale's spec. I'm not too fond of the stock headset or wheelset of STX hubs with Sun CR18 rims, but they held up OK.

I'm slowly upgrading component spec since priority went to my road rike and two other bikes I picked up along the way. This has been my workhorse, the one I take out the most and subject to the worst. That said, it's never failed me and still gets compliments. It's still an absolute blast to ride, which is why I ride it so much. I've been meticulous about maintaining parts and keeping it polished. This polished frame looks stunning when freshly buffed with metal polish, but it's not for the lazy or weak-willed. You MUST polish always!

Similar Products Used: Various hardtails and front or occasionally dual suspension bikes.
OVERALL