Univega 2000 Alpina 600 Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Magnum, 3.0" travel fork

xavier aldape   Weekend Warrior [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

weight, frame design, components

seat

I use this bike every weekend...I have used different ones (with similar components) but only on this one I feel really confident on pushing up to the limit.I used to hit my knees with other bikes frames, specially on sharp curves, but not with these one (perhaps because of the frame design)...Excellent bike for beginners. 7005 Al Frame is great for this price.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M80
kevin stone   Weekend Warrior [Oct 22, 2001]
Strength:

the suspension is nice and the kenda tires are great.

the derailer wires sterched after thefirst 200 miles then i got them tighted and then they streathed after mile 300

this is my second univega and i love it! i rode the trek across maine on it and it held up perfect. I do alot of soft sand trails and very hilly rocky poll lines. i love it!!

Similar Products Used: fugi, the univaga will always be the best
ethan   [Dec 31, 2000]
Strength:

pretty much everything! took of the toe clips first thing, and i also swapped the riser bar for bar ends, but that's a personal prefferance. great bike!

plastic toe clips are really weak. especially for big feet like mine! seat could be slightly softer, but i don't use it enough to complain.

i'm hard on bikes so i need a strong bike. i'm also a student, w/o much of a job, so it also has to be inexpensive (both to buy and opperate). scrap the toe clips and have fun! this is the best bike for the money that i've seen. and not much money to boot!

Similar Products Used: 1995? giant iguana se
Mark   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2000]
Strength:

Good solid bike for the money. Frame and components are a good value.

Toe clips really stink.

I am really digging this bike! It is my second mountain bike in less than a year, and I am very happy with my purchase.

Similar Products Used: It was between this and the 2000 K2 Zed V. This was a much better value, even with the K2 on a closeout!
D.J. Walters   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2000]
Strength:

brakes, components, weight,

saddle, rims, clipped pedals

One of the best bikes I have ever had, so much so when you get on you want to hurt yourself. Second night I had it I got to go to the ER for a little bit of face and head trauma. If it is what you want pay for a bike, I suggest go get it.
D.J.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hard Rock, etc
Robert Aspen   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2000]
Strength:

Great bike with good parts for the price.

Toe clips suck, switch to clipless

I use this bike for comuting to work, riding around town and hitting the local trials. I needed a quality bicycle with good parts that was going to last a long time that I wasn't going to have to donate a kindey to afford. The Alpina 600 is that bike I was looking for. I manitou fork is wonderful and the brakes, gears and shifters really hold up well. I am thinking about upgrading to a suspension seatpost but other then that I love the bike!