Univega 2000 Alpina 500 Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Chad   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2001]
Strength:

Good frame and components for the price. Shifts very precisely even when dirty.

Weak brakes need to be adjusted frequently. Problems with reliability.

Great bike for the money but I don't plan to stick with the stock components any longer than I have to. Good for entry level riders like myself who don't have the money to spend on a higher level bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant, GT, Raleigh
Ace   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2001]
Strength:

Price compared to value. The frame is very good and the bike is very upgradable. The bike handles very well on both fast trails and technical trails

Riser bars have awkward position. the pedals need to be adjusted to fit properly and the brakes need constant adjustment.

This is a very good bike for the price. I ride with people on high end machines but it has never put me at a disadvantage.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose
Sherdy   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2000]
Strength:

Solid frame, nice added features (disc mount ready, replacable rear derailleur dropout).
Wheels take a beatin

low end drivetrain component setup.
RockShox Jett forks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

v.good entry level bike. The frame is excellent and is perfect for upgrades. Even though the drivetrain is low end they still take a pounding along with the wheels. Best to ride them to they break and then upgrade :-)
I hate the Jett forks though...This is the only real let down on this bike.

Basically overall it is an excellent bike to startout with and then upgrade the components as the frame is v.good to hold onto.

Tammi Boswell   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2000]
Strength:

Frame, tires, headset

brakes, Front suspension

I love this bike but will be upgrading to at least a Judy XC and adding disc brakes. I am an avid rider and have raced only once but am practiceing to race more. I am 5'8" tall and this bike fit me well. My previous bike was a Mongoose Aluminum rigid frame hybrid, and it was OK but this is my first real mountian bike. I am sure I will upgrade the bike to much better components as they wear, and may decide to get a better bike as I gain skill but for now this is a great starter bike for a woman interested in racing.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX
Jacques Foppele   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2000]
Strength:

It' getting better now, my alpina 530... Changed the pedals to clip-on pedals (wellgo)... Much better!!! I had some rough rides now, and it survived quite well!!!

Brakes, they brake ok, but I think it's not the best braking I do.. Looking for magura hs-33

For this kind of money a perfect bike to start with!

Similar Products Used: Giant atx-860
Jacques Foppele   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap starters bike, with good equipment! This argument is what I have read in many magazines... A good buy when you're just started (like me) and looking for a good, but not to expensive bike to start with...

I don't like the saddle (!), and I am preferring the "clip-on" pedals...

I actually have an Alpina 530 (model 2000 in Holland).

It is a starters bike, it will survive you're first competition steps! Start with the bike, and stepwise "upvalue" your equipment.

Similar Products Used: None (yet)
Ray Evans   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2002]
Strength:

Frame, wheel set

brakes, seat

For the $ the bike can't be beat!! Purchased as a beginner and has held up great. The changes that I made were out of preferance not need. I ride the bike places that are technacial, that the high $ bikes go and have no trouble. It has really held up great and I would highly recommend this bike to anyone just getting into the sport. You will be HOOKED. My only problem with the bike is I can't wear it out!!