Univega 1999 Alpina 600 Hardtail Bike

1999 Univega Alpina 600, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Spyder, 2.75" travel fork

Matt Beaudin   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2009]
Strength:

Affordable, durable, comfortable, responsive.

...none?

Did a rebuild 3 years ago upgrading the brakes from cantilever to V-Brakes, and the push shifters to trigger shifters. Not a problem since. This bike can take and has took a serious beating since I've owned it, but it has never once had a problem.

I use it primarily for commuting, some light single track, etc. I ride in traffic with it because i trust the components and have never had a problem. I do all my own work as well. The version I have is over 10 years old and has never, ever had a problem.

Similar Products Used: Norco Nomad, Leader bikes, Norco Bigfoot
Khyle Carlo   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2001]
Strength:

Update from last review,Great Light weight frame, good drive terain, Great for uphill and downhillj riding

nothing so far

This bike has been great for me,if you want a bike that is low on price but still a good bike this is the one

Jeremy Sievers   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 19, 1999]
Strength:

Price

weight
needs upgrading
tires suck and are heavy
tore the seat to hell
stock drive train is touchy in front

For the price this bike is unbeatable, I was looking for a decent frame and a good fork for a $500, for me this is the only bike at $500 worth looking at. If you are a more than a weekend warrior or have a deeper pocket look at the Alpina 700 it is just as good a deal with better components for 699. Other bikes from larger companies that are comparable will cost $250 more. If you need more of a bike than a 600 look to spend $1000 or it is not worth it. I have replaced most of the parts and have a great set up, my bike looks like a $1600 set up for the $800 I put in to it including the bike. I have taken 2.5 pounds off the weight with new components. I can only give 3 chilies for an overall bike rating, but for the price range is would be the 5 just like others have reviewed

Sean Holt   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2001]
Strength:

It is an amazingly strong bike, cmes with an awesome shock and i love it to death. I've tried to ear it up, but just about everyting on the bike are completey perfect. I can't get enoug of the Manitou Magnum shock, ive had betyter, but it is perfect for the bike! AWESOME CLIMBING!

The only thing i have had a problem with isthe chain-rings. They are really weak chainrings for the hard trails i do daily. The one time i slipped off a trial, it bent my chain ring horribly. Ipent 50 bucks on a new crank set, and it hasnt givenme problems.

Well, bottom line is, if you are looking into gettin this bike, GET IT!!!!!!!!! IT ROCKS!!! Don't even waste your tim looking at anything else. Trust me! Get this if yo like hard-trail riding fit for hard-tail use!

Similar Products Used: GT Outpost (lol, Zach) If interested, he's selling it for 325, Nice bike!
Rit update of preveous review   Weekend Warrior [Apr 19, 2001]
Strength:

strong frame, overall good components

spyder fork sucks, chain comes off during back pedal (anyone else have this prob?...email me). factory tires sucks, bottom bracket squeaks.

worth good money. If you are gonna pay around 500...you can find a better bike that will need less upgrades. The fork has got to go....I been trying to fix the damn thing for a while now...but its still too soft. time to fork out the money. Look for internet deals if you want a better bike. dont worry bout the shipping. it will take place of tax that you would have paid anyways. Still treats me right even though I'm a bike abuser.

Similar Products Used: gary fisher wahoo, giant iguana se
Michael Bennett   Racer [Aug 14, 2000]
Strength:

The frame, Mintou Magnum fork, shimono deore and shimono A shifting components, Tektro V brakes, the rims, the hubs also hold out very well, and the seat.

The Kenda Klaws tires

This Bike has been holding out good for me being the big guy i am, i have tried many bikes, i have snapped many frames, but the 300 pounds of me is having a hard time breaking this thing, to pretty much some it up, this is a great bike, especially for the price. This is the ideal bike bike for any intermediate rider, or even a good bike for a beginer to start out on

Similar Products Used: Herd Rock FS
Rit   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2000]
Strength:

A very good bike for the price, its aluminum, replaceable drop out, lighter than steel

the fork that comes with it isn't so great, I weight too much for it(170).

This bike is good for an intermediate rider like me. Its good for hard riding but if you go extreme all the time and care a lot about weight, you'll have to spend a ton more. I got mine for $200 used. Yeah there is a little rust but its geting taken care of. And no its not stolen. This bike is good enough that it would be stolen if I didn't lock it up, exspecially at my school. (University of Washington Student). Best bike I've ever owned

Similar Products Used: Hardrock(my other bike), rockhopper, GT hardtails,
Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 1999]

The Manitou Spyder fork bottoms out too often.

This was my first mountain bike purchase, and I couldn't be more satisfied. For the money, you will not find a better deal. The only things I would replace are the pedals (get clipless), and front shock (get something that has more adjustability and stiffness).

R. Mair   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 1999]
Strength:

Price, Components, MADE IN USA

Rear tire has little traction, seat is OK, but could be softer and wider

I only had $500 to spend on a bike, and not being all that hard-core of a rider, I didn't need all the fluff. For $500 you can get into a rear suspension bike, but you get cheap, unreliable components and it's made in some other country. For a decent aluminum frame, excellent components and shocks, choice of shifters (i went with rapid fire) and with no DNF's (can't say the same for my friends Trek 6000), The Univega Alpina 600 is the way to go.