Trek 2000 4500 Hardtail Bike

Trek 2000 4500 Hardtail Bike

[Sep 13, 2010]
thegodsmustbecrazy

Strength:

Good frame, fairly light, surprisingly durable, value for the $

Crank+bb, wheels, shifter

Considering the abuse and neglect it has received in the past 10 years. I've ridden it really hard about 10% of the time (technical descents, drops, creeks, etc.) which it does quite well on considering. It will roll over steep rock fields quite well and stay stable and will take the hard drops. Although, the suspension is certainly lacking in those situations (landings hurt). When the big stuff can't be jumped the somewhat low bb/chainring will drag vs other bikes.

20% has been single track type stuff where it will haul nicely and stay stable. However, in the really twisty stuff it slows down. When riding with my friend who has a similarly sized Wahoo, I'd always fall back but easily catch him on the straights. When we switched bikes the 4500 would still fall behind in the turns. It is really easy to accelerate the 4500 as a result it is easy to climb even though the frame geometry doesn't put a lot of weight over the rear wheel.

70% has been commuting and light trail stuff where it'll move nicely (clearly the designers had the road in mind too). Even when commuting I stand up and crank hard and jump and drop anything I can find. So even when not on the trail it's abused and it's still holding up fine.

Over the bikes 10 year life and thousands of miles it has only been tuned professionally a couple of times. It's gone through plenty of tires and brakes and 2 bottom brackets and a chain, everything else is original! Even the sprockets! (Although they really do need replacing now...) The wheels do need truing after hard drops and the deraileurs do need frequent tweaking. Hence the complaints about shifting... And the front deraileur shifter now won't catch on the internal ratchet when trying to shift up because the ratchet has worn down.

The weakest part for me has definitely been the crank and BB. I've had to replace the bottom bracket twice and the square taper cranks have now rounded out... Probably could've been avoided if I would've maintained those properly and made sure the crank didn't loosen before riding. Now I'm having to replace the BB, crank, chainrings, cassette, and chain. Definitely going to get a sturdier BB and crank...

Overall great band for the buck though, quite a workhorse...

[Dec 07, 2001]
Dave

Strength:

Frame, Frame, Frame...Climbs awesome. Srong Bike.

Weak chain and rear cassette

Strong frame. Wiped out bad enough to have leaves between rim and tire. Bike only received a few scratches. (Can't say the same for myself!!) Light bike for the money. Great beginner bike to see if your into biking, but good enough to let you be competitive. Buy it!!

Fuel 90

[Nov 12, 2001]
Tim

Strength:

Quality frame. I was surprised at how long the orginal components have lasted.

Heavy

I am very impressed with the quality that Trek puts into their frames. I purchased this bike because I wasn't sure if I would like the sport or not, only to become addicted to the sport. I have taken this 'recreational' bike on some of the nastiest trails in NJ/NY and have never had any real problems. Sure I've taco'd a rim, scrapped a few derailers, etc. etc. But bottom line...this 500 dollar bike has allowed me to ride with my group that has 2500+ bikes.

I will be purchasing a new Trek during the offseason, but I can not begin to mention how happy I have been with this bike so far.

Trek 8000, Schwin Moab

[Nov 16, 2001]
Dave

Strength:

Frame, tires, most of the components

The rims suck balls, it's a bit heavy

This is a great beggining bike. Upgrade a lttle and it gets pretty sweet and lighter. It is very durable, i recently wiped out and broke my arm, the bike only had a scratch and the barend.I've had it for two and a half years and all it's needed was a tune up in the spring and my upgrades. Buy it if you are beginning and beat up your bikes a lot.

Fisher Tassajarra

[Jul 31, 2001]
TheWeb

Strength:

Good Frame, able to be upgraded.

Some of the components are poor.

This is a follow up post to previous ones.

I have had this bike for about a year now and continue to love riding on this bike. Over the year I have slowly broken and had to replace various bits however a couple of weeks ago I was hit by a car, luckily escaping with only very minor scraps but bike was busted. After the guy driving coughed up some cash I took the opportunity to repair the bike with a number of upgrades but in particular the front shock.

I admit a Z1 X-fly on a Trek 4500 is a bit overkill (at normal retail prices more than the bike in total is worth) but as I only had to pay $150 US after his contribution to a new fork I thought what the heck.

Well this has transformed the bike and has brought the best out of what I already thought was a good frame. It now eats things that use to cause me great concern, it steers with confidence and never feels like it is going to washout.

This simply confirms my previous thoughts, and that of many other reviewers that this bike is a great starter kit, if you get hook on riding, like I did you have not done your money, you can simply upgrade various components over time and turn this into an all round performer.

For a $400 -$500 US bike you can not go wrong. Check out the Trek website, you will see if you care to look that the frame geometry for this bike is almost identical to all the higher end hardtails in the range, only a little heavier. Not bad unless you want to race competitvely and you would not be buying this bike in that case.

I think this remains a good option for those just getting into or getting serious about riding and I expect to keep riding this bike for a long time to come.

[Jul 23, 2001]
Him of the peck clan

Strength:

Very light frame, and good shox. Also the stock grips are really sticky.

bad derailler and takes to long to switch gears.

Very good bike and is good for beginners and intermeddiate bikers. Good value and could be a very good competion bike if upgraded.

stalker fs, trek 4300,gary fisher tassajra

[Jul 10, 2001]
jacob bentley
Downhiller

Strength:

nice seat, good tires, nice frame, nice looking bike.

reflectors on pedals came off very easily while riding. sometimes doesnt shift all the way.

good bike. im very happy with it. now that ive had it for a year though, i want something better. but, i am happy with it and it has done well. a great starter bike. overall very pleased.

[Jul 11, 2001]
timmy robb

Strength:

it sucks

it sucks again

this bike ..... i have a smalll taco

taco

[Sep 22, 2000]
Dylan

Strength:

Tuff frame, smooth deraileurs, great price!

Slippery pedals, squishy brakes, not much to complain about since this mofo is an entry level bike.

This bike kicks arse! I just started mountain biking, and its a great bike for the $$$. I've thrown much unholy crap at this bike, and it's taken it without pain. Although the pedals are kinda-stinky...the rest of the components work fine and are smooth. I might change to a Manitou fork or sumtin...but the Jett fork is great. Ima obsessed with taken a beatin on trails now...and this bike siuts me fine. I love to ride everywhere and anywhere. Get this kick ass bike! haha It deserves 5 flamin turds. SCHWEEEEEET

[May 22, 2000]
Chris

Strength:

The Seat is awesome

nothing

The bike is awesome for just about anything. I've done just about everything possible on the thing. I've done some rough trails with the 4500, and nothin' is wrong with it yet.so if you're gonna get any bike under $500, make sure you look at this bike