Trek 1999 930 Hardtail Bike

1999 Trek 930, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett T2, 2.5" travel fork

Rob   [Apr 17, 2015]
Strength:

haven't even ridden yet

haven't even ridden yet

just got gifted a Singletrack Trek 930 (have no idea what year) from a friend of mine. I haven't rode since I was a kid. Any advice anyone can give me is most greatly appreciated!!!!! Again, I am a complete novice and from reading the posts I have no business even being on this blog.... but if you'll tolerate me and advise I'd be most appreciative!

Drew   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2014]
Strength:

lightweight, sturd, decent shox, longevity, great ride

Got 930 Singletrack used in green (I believe it is from late 90s due to having front shocks). Got it for song $60. It is amazingly light and solid and everything is still in workign order even though it is 17 years old. I mainly use it as a commuter bike; reckon it will fare fine for trail riding. Only thing I changed is the handlebar from straight bar to Race Face low riser, more for comfort than performance. I really love this bike considering I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur that cost twice as much as well as a Turner 5 Spot that is 4k and have had Santa Cruz Heckler. Huge part of riding is skill and what shape you are in really unless you are competing at professional level. I love this bike and will never part with it. If you fine one used, grab it.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Heckler, Turner 5 Spot, Gary Fisher Big Sur, GF Marlin
jcsantacruz   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2010]
Strength:

Strong Frame. Bullet proof. Owned this bike for 12 years. 25 broken bones 4 concussions and Zero! broken bike parts!! Takes a serious beating in all conditions. Great geometry for downhill. Effortless climbs.

Rim brakes SUCK! Rock Shox Suck.

Here's the deal. This frame is indestructible! Don't believe the hype of the salesmen. Some how I foraged the same insane and extremely technical trails 12 years ago on this bike as the kids are now days on their $6000 Full suspension bikes. Don get me wrong. Its kicks your ass but it makes you stay alert, responsive and aggressive. Yes it is a harder ride, but do we ride because it is easy?? Just saying. I have never broken down on this bike. Replaced Tires, rims, pedals, saddle, Fork, Headset, and rim brakes to disc. All Necessary changes. Bottom line...
I love my 930 in all its raw splendor. And I saved about $2000! :)

Similar Products Used: Stumpy...
jcouture   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2010]
Strength:

Pearl white w/red lettering.
Love the bike from day one. Smooth, fast. In regards to other postings of weight. I think it is very light compared to aluminum bikes of similar models. I have no problem carrying over the shoulder when needed.

Rock Shox Jett T2 fork, I never got around to replacing it. I mostly do singletrack and the bike is intended for that use so the fork does pretty well for the purpose. Fork still works well after 10 years.

I wish they still made this bike. I've been looking for another one of similar specs and model year.

Similar Products Used: Prior model before 930SHX: Trek 820
Current: 2000 Trek 6000SHX, 2004 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Elite
EdJax   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2009]
Strength:

Frame. For almost 10 years of riding nothing broke - still original drivetrain.

450 for a new bike - nothing.

The bike was riden on XC trails, now used for pavement mostly (pulling the kids trailer, even somitems as a road bike).
It weights 26.5 lbs. Is it too much for a steel bike...? Thinking about making it singlespeed, fully-rigid and lighter wheels.

Similar Products Used: Moto Fly
mahtain loopez   Racer [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

like they all say...frame, which has strong but slightly supple steel...i think mines the last year..anyone help? its forest green metallic with sram stuff...8spd...

for this price, not a bitty thing, if i paid retail, all the components except shifters..brakes are OK..but just ok

the parts get thrashed, the frame rocks on...just about had it with the stx crank performance, i can smash'em for breakfast! looking for an older 8spd setup if anyone has one in very good condition (gruppo)....the best thing about this bike is the way it eats up twisty speed trails with obstacles...very much like my old kona...which is very surprising to me considering the different angles in the bike,,,but nevertheless this bike feels similar, almost like mini-transparent-suspension....anyway, one of the best deals ever

Similar Products Used: name it, kona, brodie, special ed, haro, raleigh, fat city...and on...
james   [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

Super Frame
Looks great
I liked the sram(7)shifter

Shocks are entry level Indy s

I ride heavy 3+ times a week and except for the occasional worn out component - it still works great.
I have had the bike since 97.
Lately I have been riding my brothers Trek 7000 - I really like that bike.
The punishment is taking it's toll on me though - I'm thinking about buying a dual suspension...any suggestions

Similar Products Used: Trek 6000
Samuel St. Louis   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2005]
Strength:

I loved the frame and the components easy of changing and adjustment. I road on the same chain and drive train for 4 years and only replaced them as the broke. The price of the bike was great and easily upgradeable for a beginner as they advanced in skill level.

I would say the only weeknessrd wer the fork (RS Jett TT), not enough travel and the heavy rims( Bontrager).

Botttom line I used this bike on all kinds of trails, raods, and everything in between. I used in college to commute to class, froiends rode it on trails and then as a road trainer. The frame was so strong and held up to anything I threw at it. I then put slicks on and changed the drive train and it worked great as a road trainer. I finally just sold the bike today to pay for my new road bike Giant OCR2 (2005)I hope I dont regret getting rid of that frame.