Trek 1999 830 AL Hardtail Bike

1999 Trek 830 AL, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281, 2.6" travel fork

richard ramirez   [Jul 19, 2012]
Strength:

overall Id say i had this bike forever about 12 years, Ibeat the crap out it an i gotta say it rides as sweet as the day i got it, its a sweet ride the only reason i didnt give it five chillis on value is because its old tech compared with the bikes now, with smoother brakes, rapid fire shifters, an super fast rims,but the color on this ride is sweet, easy to maintain good all round ride reponsive enough to really feel like a higher priced ride at a price that wont leave you broke for a month

the components are kinda low end but they work fine what do you expect from a 400 dollar ride, the frame is the best part of this ride, the front shocks are not top end but sturdy enough to take some punishment an then some.

over all id say for a vintage ride this really is a nice bike, nothing compared to what you can get now but still a sweet ride.

Jux Box   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2011]

A verry good bike. I still have it since 1999 and i traveld with this bike in Chile, GB, France, Lithuania,...... I never had problems with it. It is simpel and simply the best.

What's_G?   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2011]
Strength:

Light aluminum frame lasts forever.

Original front rim broke after one month. Brakes and gears work but are not high end.

I've had this bike since 1999 and it's still going strong. Had to replace a front rim that exploded in the first month. The frame is so strong on this bike. I might just add new components and ride it forever. They don't make frames this nice any more, at least not on entry level bikes.

Similar Products Used: A TREK antelope I guess.
cbl302   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2009]
Strength:

super light very fast,it has a silky smooth motion when peddling,the gears work excellent,and the braking is great,top speed so far for me is 31 mph,(using GPS)the 24 speeds are great for that difficult uphill,and great for that downhill,overall a great bike.

do not like the handlebars

excellent

Similar Products Used: Magna
Max   Weekend Warrior [Jun 13, 2003]
Strength:

The frame, handlebarr, crank, and i like the brakes...stops my big 280lbs self with no problems. great tires also

wheels....i had to have them trued after every ride, the fork is so-so. for those who've ridden MTB with out shocks this is a little better.

bottom line is according to trek this is an entry level MTB, which to me has preformed pretty well. The OEM wheels are very weak, and the grip shift works OK. the frame is the best part of this bike. The reason i bought this particular model is that the fram is the same on the higher end TREK's. so add ur components at ur leisure.

Similar Products Used: Nishiki (custom made in the '80's) heavy steel bike
Victor Okunev   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Very tough frame. I am using it as a downhill bike for moderate terrain (1'-2' drops), rocky roads, roots, etc. and it survived it all.

The RST fork is a joke though it managed to keep my front wheel true so far. The rear rim bends really quickly once you start going real XC. Had to replace it with Sun Rhyno Lite. The original pedals won't withstand even moderate XC use. The breaks are pre-V brakes type. It does take some time to really stop the bike.

One of the best entry-level XC hardtails. It is light and tough. I am not even sure if they still make these bikes. I just wanted to a pay a tribute to my ol' two-wheelled friend who got me into the joy of XC and freeriding. The bike is indestructable. It squeaks but keeps goin'. Once you get down from the mountains, it works fine as a commuter bike too.

Darin   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

Great look and color. The Sram 5.0 have never given me any trouble, except for possible ghost shifting after landing hard. Frame is solid and has taken a beating well

The Weiman (?) rims were way to weak for me, even in my lighter weight days. Brakes squeak. RST shocks look like crap and and to squishy on landings. Saddle nose wore out fast (and just general geometry of the saddle felt like I was being sodomized by a rhino)

Unlike many mountain bikers, I am still reluctant to throw down $1,600.00 for a BIKE. I am honest and realize I will never race, or be sponsored. SO... for the money, this bike is wonderful. Plus with the low end components, I have had a lot of fun replacing them! Great bike, not only for beginners, but for the rider who has a mortgage and student loans, but still wants to muck around in the woods!!!!

Similar Products Used: Trek 840 Antelope. Giant ???
Andrew Heimer   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2003]
Strength:

The frame is very sturdy. The shocks are very nice for going over ditches. Very smooth shifting between gears. The bike fits anyone over 5'3". Does not flex on a trails. Great bike for beginners. Fun for all ages.

The seat. Wears down very quickly.

Great beginner bike. I love the bike. Very sturdy. For the value it is great. You cant find anything much better for the price. I would suggest that you should buy this bike.

Similar Products Used: none that i have seen
nate   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2001]
Strength:

great frame,bontrager tires,rst shock,ergonomics

seat(mine ripped apart during normal usage)
pedals

a great bike for the money, many, many hours of fun trail riding without complaint except for the saddle. A begginer looking for a low priced entry level hardtail would be pleased with this trek. trek makes the best bikes. enough said.

Similar Products Used: trek 4700, trek fuel, trek elite 9.8, trek vtx 4000
Dave Gill   Weekend Warrior [Nov 21, 2001]
Strength:

Frame

Shock is best described as mushy but it can worked with. The rear rim took a big hit and had to be touched up a bit. The shifting is getting a little difficult, it may be replaced this winter with a LX rear.

A good overall bike. Great for the price. I ride some pretty good trails and I don't have a problem keeping up with bikes 3X's the price. The brakes did squeal for awhile there, but they stopped after about 6 months (worn in?). I am not nice to this bike ( I'm over 200lbs. as well), I ride very hard and go on difficult trails (Razorback's Faceplant is a challenge)and this bike has held up fairly well over the last two years. This year it needs some TLC over the winter to make it a couple of more years. If you don't ride a lot or not very hard this bike will last you for quite a few years.