Trek 1999 7000 Hardtail Bike

Trek 1999 7000 Hardtail Bike

1999 Trek 7000, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5" travel fork

[Sep 09, 2009]
Trek7000rider

Strength:

Frame. It is fairly light, strong, good geometry, etc. The bike is 10 years old and the frame is still going strong.

stock components

I got mine for $300 about a year ago, and have done a lot of mods since, most notably converting the bike to 9 speed, swapping the wheelset, and putting on new cranks. This bike is perfect for me, its about #25, which isnt heavy, but it isnt light by todays standards. the frame is what I am really writing the review for, and it is great. Stiff enough, nice and strong, and pretty nimble. It has handled my abuse, and has shown no signs of not being capable for whatever task I decide to put it up to. Its just a solid, dependable, hardtail. No problems whatsoever. 5 for value, because you can get a complete one for 2-400 depending on how its spec'ed out, and 4 overall because I'm sure that technology has gotten better in the past ten years, even though I dont know what would need changed on the frame...

I've ridden other mountain bikes, but this is the first one that I have gotten some extensive riding done on

[May 12, 2008]
Arno

Strength:

Straightforward bike for the average rider. Very sturdy.

Crankset sqeaky cracky (tighten really hard, and get another cartridge). Hard to get tires off factory rims. Somewhat heavy. Bent the cheap front blades twice (upgrade to Shimano XT!)

Sturdy bike that lasts forever. Had numerous crashes, hardly any problems with the bike (my ribs had some). Rides well and is very agile around corners. With my new fork, it feels as good as new and up to date again. A2Z makes an adapter to fit IS2000 disk brakes. Magura Louise and Marta fit with those (Avid won't). Has been worth every penny for the 8 years I've been using it. Currently my spare bike.

[Oct 24, 2001]
Rob Smit

Strength:

Frame is nice and light for a plain gauche frame. Geometry is allright once you've changed the stem.

The Judy is too softan d too heavy, I liked it at first, but in time my riding changed. The saddle is crap, the weelset is strong but a bit heavy. The Lx fd never worked properly. Brakes lack power, tires lack grip. No frame squeek here!

A very reliable bike, nothing broke down untill now, after 2 years of riding. I've got the right riding position after changing the stem, 14 degree rise is too much. Now it's 0 degree rise. Others seem to like riserbars for a more upright position. Hey, it's a personal thing. No squeeks in my frame, but the problem with the front derailleur was there. Never shifted properly and at the and it didn't shift at all. the XT solved the problem. I want to upgrade the weelset an fork (too heavy) and the brakes (don't bite).
The bike is worth it, no doubt!
Allright, the colour (swampgreen) took me a while to get used to, but now I like it.

Rockhoppers, Avelanche, Kona

[Nov 24, 2001]
Scootems

Strength:

Frame & components. Truly a classic and I got it for a steal as a used bike. Beautiful Dragonfly Green!

None.

Sweet ride. Nimble, light, fun. I took care of the notorious squeak in the frame by pouring a 1/3 can of "Liquid Wrench" down the seat tube. NO MORE SQUEAK. Do it!

Trek 800. Cannondale M300. Tested a bunch of others new. Nothing comes close.

[Nov 21, 2001]
Sam Worsham

Strength:

Lightweight frame, cost efficient, its a hardtail!!!!!!

Components----but you get what you pay for(a definate must upgrade), a little squirrely in descents, makes for an interesting ride!!!!!!!

Climbs very well, and by changing out a few components can be turned into a great XC racer. I have raced this bike and can vouch for it. Extremely well put together frame, cudos to Trek. I have beat this bike to death and it asks for more. I have been extremely pleased with my 7000 and will be saddened to see it go, but with the purchase of my new 9.8 elite, which I have yet to test, it must go. However it won't go far(selling it to a close friend). I would definatly recommend this bike to any serious MTBer. Thanks agian to MTBreview which helped me decide on a 9.8.......(review in the near future).

Schwinn Moab 1, Cannondale V-500, Trek 8000

[Sep 11, 2001]
Kyle

Strength:

VALUE, light, yellow, Bontrager stuff

chain suck

awsome bike for $900, if you have a chance get one!

big sur

[Sep 20, 2001]
MIKE

Strength:

It's the tank of the x-country bikes. I've taken my 16" x-country frame off of any and all drops in the city of saskatoon. From loading docks in the urban sessions or the 5-7ft drops we made on the out of bounds trails, the bike has been there through it all. All of my friends laughed at me for buying this bike at the time but they understood my crazy ride anything mentality. the local bike shop cant fathom the fact that my bike isn't in three or more pieces right now. after the 9 set of stairs i did popped the cherry on my shox (so to speak) but now they have a kinda cool negative travel thing going on.

i switched the following broken things:
-pedals
-wheels for my now taccoed rhino lites
-tires
-handle bar for a 2" riser
-oh ya and the brakes for hydrolic magura rim brakes

im congradulating trek on the abnomal bike profomance coming out of this crazy 7000. i know what u peeps are thinken, i m one of those bullsh!t riders thats full of it and that i actually have never done any of these dropes or dirt jumps before. Well for those of u that think that u can go we are not allowed to sware yourselves, i had no money at the time and the 7000 was just going to be my bike for that year but it turned out to be an awsome ride.
thx trek

kona stuff

Peter Gracheck

Strength:

Strong Frame, good component mix for the money, and climbs nicely

Icon parts

This is an awesome bike for the money! In the time i have ridden mine i have never had 1 problem with it. the chain has never even come off with me on it. In my opinion you could race with this bike it might be a little heavier and a little less high on the components range this bike performs. No doubt about it

Peter Gracheck

Strength:

Strong Frame, good component mix for the money, and climbs nicely

Peter Gracheck

Strength:

Strong Frame, good component mix for the money, and climbs nicely