Trek 1999 6500 Hardtail Bike

1999 Trek 6500, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy C, 2.5" travel fork

noobrider   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2010]
Strength:

strong, light, affordable, made in the US.

bontrager fs+10 saddle (ouch!)

My first "real" bike. pick up used for $300. had all the employees mad because they wanted it themselves.im just starting out riding but, i love my bike man. i always thought people who spent hundreds and hundreds on bikes were retarded, i thought they could be any better than my huffy! i was retarded. the first time i shifted this bike i thought it was broken because it didnt rattle and clunk for 5 mins until it found a gear! it is super comfortable (now that i replaced the saddle), it rides smooth, handles the single track very well i think. overall A+ from me.

Similar Products Used: crappy dept store and rental bikes.
Danny Ledbetter   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2008]
Strength:

I have ridden this american built Trek for nine year's in several types of environments. It lost a crankset the first day and never a problem since.

I ride this bike each day for exercise only and try for 14 miles per day weather permitting. It is kept in door's and I bought it because it was made in the USA. Sorry you don't still do that with this model. Overall I am very proud that I made this choice and would consider another trek. Anyone who has a desire to buy a mountain bike should go for this model as it is durable and won't leave you walking.

Similar Products Used: none
Nick   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2008]
Strength:

Frame, frame, frame and frame! 9 speed cassette, good quality bb (still going strong in 2008) and fairly decent spec components. Good wheelset.

If you want to thrash it hard you will need to upgrade the components (forks, wheels, brakes and drivetrain)

I fell in love with this bike from the first time I rode it and I just can't bring myself to part with it, so I have just upgraded the components as they have worn out (or broken). Fitting a disc brake to the rear in Jan '08 was a challenge as there are no IS disc tabs on the frame, but an A2Z adaptor came to the rescue. I have hammered this frame for years and it just takes it all!

Similar Products Used: Specialized rockhopper comp
John   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2003]
Strength:

Incredible frame. Light and strong. I'm 6'4" and 210lbs. and I ride hard (lots of jumps). Frame is light (21.5") and moves nice. Great Black and red paint. Nice Bontrager stock wheels- still use ocasionally with Panaracer trailblaster 2.1 tires and stock casette.

Frame has none. Depending on the rider, some components could use upgrading.

Down tube is nice and fat. Frame is definately worth all of the upgrades. Stock components are pretty decent except for toe clips. Definately outgrew the Judy C fork. Great bike for all around rider. With some simple upgrades, can be a super racing bike with a real sharp and unique look.

Similar Products Used: Ridden GT, Kona, and Trek Fuel.
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2001]
Strength:

The frame possesses great geometry for the entry level rider. It is light and stiff for the price paid. Good shifting, fork and wheelset for the money.

Crank and chainrings are weak. Front derailleur also low quality and sloppy.

Great entry level cross country bike. A little heavy. If you want to race it would be well worth your while to swap out the fork and wheels for lighter ones. A more stretched out geometry would also be nice for racing but the 6500 geometry is efficent and comfortable for everyday riding. The stock Jones are great for all condition riding; much better than the Jones AC that Trek now stocks on many of its bikes. The Revolt SS that I just got are super fast(at least 2km/h faster than Jones overall) and handle well in all except excessive mud.

Best bike available for the price in my opinion. Don't buy a full suspension in this price range. Hard tail in this price range blow them away.

Similar Products Used: GT backwoods, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race
Beau   Cross Country Rider [Jul 31, 2001]
Strength:

Hi....this is a pretty nice cross country bike...if ur a first year person and like hardtails this would be the frame 2 go with...this was my first mountain bike frame

it's soooooo damn weak.....after a while when u jump ds or just down at the track in a esitmate....4 weeks the frame begins 2 flex a lot...and make creeking noises....if u buy this bike it's not 2 smart 2 jump with it....

This bike is very nice for cross country.....but ONE thing IF u USE V-BRAKES GET A BREAK BOOSTER....when I was my brakes....i can see the frame flex when i pull the lever....in the rear

jeff   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2001]
Strength:

FRAME,you cant do anything to that beast.

brakes are weak, the crank is a little heavy

The bottom line is the bike kicks a$$ for the money. It will last you a life time. Upgrade the brakes and maybe the crank, but not a necessitie. I've only had it about a month, and it already has me hooked. For the money, you wont get a better bike. Great for xc. If you are a beginner or a pritty solid rider, the bike will do it for you.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Joshua,GT
Squishy Lamano(yes,that'smyrealname)   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2000]
Strength:

It's an 8-speed.

Wheels haven't needed any truing after many hits and seals worked well even after 2 hours of riding in heavy downpours.

The Judy C did the job with no flex and very little maintenance.

The ride quality was very good. The aluminum frame isn't overly stiff like my ex. I can't say what brand it was because they sponsor this site.

It's disc-ready and it's almost time for a pair.

It comes spec'd with the correct crank length. All manufacturers should be doing this instead of just slapping on those 175's.

Cable routing was good for portaging and out of the way of the dirt.

Metallic black paint looks custom.

It fits like a glove.

It's not a hall-of-shamer.

Tried to break in the seat, but couldn't (yes, I'm sore).

Flat bar seems way too stiff for rocky trails. I'll switch to a riser before my wrists go South. It's also too narrow for for all those things you put on a handlebar.

The aluminum on the chainrings was too soft. A tooth on the middle ring became bent at 1000 miles and caused a clicking sound. Finding the replacement was, how should I put it, a sweaty b1tch. I found an aluminum one at Frankford, and a long lasting ti ring from Bruce Boone. That's right, a ti 4-arm middle ring!

Front shifting wasn't buttery smooth.
It's a good thing I don't shift it constantly.

Rear shifting was crisp, but was thrashing my thumb. I had to flip over the shifter to get relief. It is now an 80's style top mount!

Quick releases rotate even after tightening. Knowing this is very scary when I'm downhilling.

Grips rotate

Teeth on cage pedals weren't sharp and grippy enough.

The headset was ridden with some play for hundreds of miles and didn't ovalize the headtube. It was at last tightened with no complaints. Don't try this on your bike.

The ride quality was the same or better than a high-end hardtail I had!

I liked it so much, I'll get the same model in the future if that 9-speed ever proves itself as off-road worthy as an 8.