Trek 1999 6000 Hardtail Bike

1999 Trek 6000, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett T2, 2.5" travel fork

Robert Platt Bell   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2015]
Strength:

Solid frame and good paiintjob that held up over 16 years now. Good rims - never bent one yet, and I'm a big guy and abusive to bikes.

Seriously, though, I've ridden this thing on the beach and in the ocean, and even salt water can't hurt that frame. It has held up well, under a lot of abuse.

Riveted chain-ring that wore out. Seats wore out and not comfortable. Good street/trail bike, but not a serious mountain bike for hard core folks. Shifters will lock up with age, as the grease turns to rock. Just spray with WD-40, lots of it. Probably not a good choice for a cruiser bike, or hard-core off road.

We bought two of these new in 1999 on the recommendation of a friend who works at a bike shop. I think they were $498.75 each (we got hosed a bit, although they retailed for $899.99 according to Bikeopedia).

They worked well for 10 years, mostly street and light trail riding. I used them to commute to work along the Potomac bike trail and occasional biking in the blue ridge. Not hard core mountain biking.

The shifters stopped working and I took one apart. The grease in them hardens over time and stops the mechanism from working. It is an intricate clockwork mechanism and if you take it apart, springs will fly everywhere. I'll save you a lot of time - there is a small hole in the case, just put WD-40 into it (a LOT) until it softens the grease, and it will shift fine after that. Once I figured this out with the first shifter, fixing the the other three was easy - just keep spraying WD-40. Like a whole can of it. The grease hardens into rock,

I had to replace the front chainring on mine when the teeth wore out. I realized this is a cheap bike at that point, as the chainrings are rivieted together. I ended up buying a whole new chainring and crankset, as after 12 years, the cranks were welded to the shaft, and the parts were cheap on eBay. I also bought new chains for both bikes, and new pedals. The orginal plastic toe clips were crap. No rear cassette - yet, but after 15 years, the teeth are starting to round on mine. Derailleurs have held up well!

The seats finally died (literally broke off) and I replaced them with a neoprene gel set (BIkemanforU) - not too cushy, but firm. Works better than new. Also replaced shifter cables (they started to come apart from rust), tires and tubes (the latter many times). The wheels have held up really well - no bends or wobbles, which is amazing given the abuse I've handed to them. I removed the presta valves and drilled them out for schrader. Who am I kidding? I'm a paved trail rider and want to be able to use the local gas station air hose. I just don't get the point of having exotic tire valves on a bike like this.

A good bike for the commuter or causal trail rider. The handlebar position is uncomfortable for those looking for more of a "cruiser" kind of bike, though.

It has held up well, though! 16 years! I kind of would hate to buy a new bike, as I think I would be disappointed in the quality of bikes these days.

Mike N   [Jul 28, 2012]
Strength:

Built to last, good components, low maintenance and a pleasure to ride.

Nothing to mention.

I bought this bike brand new in 1999. At the time I lived in Dallas, TX, which has a fairly good variety of paved and off-road biking trails around the metro. I rode this bike almost every day for years. In the evenings I would ride on the roads around my neighborhood or on one of the many paved biking trails. Generally on Saturdays I would venture off for a 15 or 20-mile ride on one of the many off-road trails, some of which were somewhat technical and likely above my skill level but I'm confident the bike could have handled the challenge if only I were able (or willing).

Overall I rode between 75 and 150 miles per week. Sundays were dedicated to my road bike but the rest of the week I generally rode my Trek 6000.

Around 2002 I moved to the North side of the Kansas City metro area where biking trails are almost non-existent. After a couple years of riding through the neighborhoods I finally lost interest and put my bikes in storage for almost 8-years.

We have since moved to an area South of the KC metro where access to bike trails is much more convenient so I have started riding again almost every evening. Getting on this Trek again feels like reuniting with a long lost friend. With exception to one of the shifters giving me a little problem, the bike looks great (except for a few well-deserved scratches) and rides like the day I bought it.

I recently took this bike to the local Trek shop for some basic maintenance and a tire swap. When I walked through the door the mechanic commented when he seen the bike. He said the 6000 was a great bike and value-for-money, probably one of the best bikes Trek made.

This bike is nearly perfect for normal all-around riding and you'll find nothing better at this price range - as I'm sure you can get these for a steal today. If you're wanting to do some serious mountain biking or puting on a lot of road miles then I would suggest looking at something designed specifically for that purpose.

fatgo66   Downhiller [Jul 12, 2011]
Strength:

withstands almost anything that you can dish out to it.

when I bought the bike it had a faulty valve in it.

This bike is great for going in a trail in the forest or up in the mountains. my favorite place to go with it is the Barr trail. It was totally up for the challenge. I am taking it back to Colorado in a few weeks and I am going to do some tougher trails.

Grant   Weekend Warrior [Oct 28, 2001]
Strength:

Gears, Components, braking, fork, frame

high speed handling, the steering can sometimes have a mind of its own if you hit a really big obstacle (root/rock)

I love this bike! I have abused it worse then anyone else probably has, often riding down steep hills at around 35MPH on sidewalks in my suburban area. The shocks work great, and this bike can handle anything. I have only gotten one flat, and have put about 1500 very hard miles on it and the tires are still in good shape, in addition to the brakes. Front brakes are slightly more worn then back brakes, but both work great. I have done a lot of hard stops with the front brakes, since I am into doing front wheelies, and still have almost a year left on the pads. The biuld quality is excellent, with all name-brand components. The alumninum frame is surprisingly light and gives a fairly good ride on the rear end. The bike handles well, but not great. Upwards of 25MPH if your going to do a quick turn be ready to wrench the handle bars and pray, high speed handling isnt great. However, the handling isn't great, but for some unknown weird reason this bike is funner to drive then any other hardtail Ive ever been on. The handling is tight, and its very easy to lean into curves or do fast slaloms. In Addition, I love the wide gearing especially for such an old bike.

Similar Products Used: another hardtail from specialized
Ross   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2002]
Strength:

Can withstand a lot of abuse. Shifters and rear deurailler are awesome. No problems with brakes.

MAD chainsuck, caused by a crappy front deurailler and the crankset.

For 550 bucks, I must say that I am totally satisfied with this bike. I can ride it for hours on end and it holds up to any abuse I can dish out on it. If you already know that you are really into off-road riding, you may as well spend more money for a better bike, but if you are just starting out in the sport (like I was when I bought the 6000), then this is definitely a good place to start. You can pretty much take it on any cross-country trails you can think of, and you can ride it nice and hard too.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000
Cody Whynot   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

*frame
*rear derailleur
*lightness
*rear cassette
*rapid fire shifters
*bontrager jones tires

*bottom bracket
*rock shox jett t2
*grips (when wet)
*pedals
*rear part is a little heavy
*crank

I like the frame, and I think that any beginner who wants to start mountain biking should consider the Trek 6000. I have a lot of fun with this bike, but I had to replace the bottome bracket and the crank because I bent them both. I only weigh 150, but I was doing some big drops for a xc bike. I will soon replace the front suspension.

Similar Products Used: Norco Charger
Rocky Mountain Vertex
Trek 6500
Trek 7000
I like it doggy style   Racer [Jul 25, 2001]
Strength:

i like the pretty red it goes well with my biking shorts the seat smells good also

the smell of the seat after my little sis rides it
the tires are to big
and the seat is to big
id like a bigger rear deraleur and stem
to heavy but i still managed to win nationals (thanks mom!!)

if u want to be like me buy it and email me i need friends
those chilis look more like flammin cocks to me but thats just me

Similar Products Used: ccm heat mbx 1000 and all kinds of 100 dollar bikes
Robert Jones   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 07, 2000]
Strength:

Great Price
Shocks are amazing for $520
Alluminum frame is super light for trails

rear der
grips

Great bike, and great price at $520! The 2k Trek 6000 is great for off-roading and ok for on-road. The shifting is smooth. Only extra thing you need is some new grips. The frame is super light too. The shocks (Manitou Magnum) are really soft and great for off-roading! GREAT BIKE!!!!!!