Trek 1999 4500 Hardtail Bike

Trek 1999 4500 Hardtail Bike

Trek 4500

[Jul 09, 2003]
Pete

Strength:

Tough frame with an acceptable fork for the price and year. The wheels stand up to normal XC riding with minimal truing needed.

Bontrager Jones tyres lack traction on wet surfaces like rocks and roots.

I bought this bike in the knowledge that you get what you pay for. The Insync fork is basic, but certainly better than no front suspension. The frame is stiff, if heavy and accelerates well. I still have one original wheel after 3 years of continuous riding. This bike is all you need for basic trail riding if you're prepared to upgrade cheaper components as they wear out. If you want to race or jump off large objects, get something else. The bike is heavy and not very manouverable on tight single track. Not enough travel for drops. I've had 3 years of fun, basic XC riding on this bike. It's been good value for money.

Too many to list.

[Mar 15, 2002]
CHAD RUNION

Strength:

NOT SHOCKS THEY SUCK BUT I REALLY LIKE THE FRAME AND THE RIMS THE TIRES ROCK AND ARE STILL KICKING AND I RIDE LIKE EVERY DAY THE SEAT IS GOOD AND YEAH.

THOSE F'IN SHOCKS SUCK THEY FROZE AND IT WAS LIKE 90 OUT SIDE SO I DONT KNOW WHAT ALL THAT WAS ABOUT ALSO THE FRONT AND REAR DERAILERS DONT SHIFT THAT WELL FOR ME

THE 4500 IS A KICK ASS BIKE NO MATTER WHAT U USE IT FOR WETHER DOWN HILL OR RIDDIN IN THE FREAKIN MUD OR RAIN
I TOTALLY RECOMEND THE 4500 TO ANY ONE IT IS A GOOD LADYS BIKE AND ALSO A REAL MANS BIKE ANY ONE WHO RIDES THE 4500 WILL BE IMPRESSED NODOUBT

GT AND RALIGH

[Apr 05, 2007]
Josh

Strength:

Tough all around bike

Handlebars and riser. They sit funny (angled up) and can be somewhat uncomfortable after a couple hours.

I bought this bike in 1999 and rode it constantly (road, XC, some downhill) until 2004. I never replaced anything, I did basic tune-up stuff, but it held up very very well.

I took a little break then in spring 06' I finally had to replace the v-brakes and rear derailleur just from basic wear.

The rims and tires are great, haven't had a flat in the history of the bike and rims have stayed very true.

Seat and handle bar position get a little uncomfortable on longer rides, but all around an awesome bike for the money.

Giant Warp

[Oct 26, 2002]
Chauncy Idiot
Downhiller

Strength:

It has a riser bar and 2 wheels

Everything else

It sux. Maybe for someone who thinks the sidewalk is extreme it would be ok. I like to huck of drops and jump. It is not ok.

I have tried only freeride bikes

[Nov 13, 2001]
Todd

Strength:

Good overall ride. Components are nice enough that you can ride without having to upgrade immediately

Tires, Didn't like the front tire design. Replaced it with a panaracer pro.

Good bike for the money. Great bike for the weekend rider that doesn't have a ton of money

Diamondback, Giant

[Sep 21, 2000]
David

Strength:

looks good(Silver one), good starter bike. My first bike in 10 years. Takes a beating. Tires are all right

Jett, can't adjust it, the pedals, broke the left one, front derailer doesn't want to shift some times, seat, too thin, a little heavy.

It's a good starter bike, I'm glad that I got it, but now I need a better bike for the riding that I do. I'm looking for a lighter bike, adjustable fork, ect. Might go with a full suspension or might stay with hardtails. I can beat my brothers rocky mountain vapour.

[Jan 07, 2000]
Allan

Strength:

Tires, Frame, Seat

Breaks a bit soft, B/B, Crank

This is a very good bike for its price. I am a large rider (96kg) and the breaks felt very soft. I found that the frame flexes quite alot on the larger bikes. This problem is solved by a break booster. One problem with this bike is the B/B and the Acera Crank. The B/B has some significant play in it. I have found this problem in 3 4500 bikes one of which was a year 2000 model. Trek uses a no name brand B/B on not very great quality, but are happy to replace it is the part is defective. The Acera crank realy sucks. I killed it in under 100 Km of soft riding. My brother also had to replace his. Maby we are big but a crank should last longer than 100km. Overall this is good value for money and the fram is a good base to upgrade (later)

Trek 830, Trek 6000

[May 09, 2001]
they call me TREE

Strength:

price,frame,price,tires,price,grips,still left the kickstand on fer the local kooks to laugh at .

pedals,rearbrakes,hub nasty, the stock stuff will work, but,..you know it makes you want more..see set up..

easy to bottom out cjett shox..prob one of 1st things to upgrade, if i can square some ducketts.Funnypages would be marzocchi bankroll nasty, but you know im dreamin...JUST lookin fer a cheap "get rid o yer hangbelly" in a fun way? BUy this bike to get yer lungs back fer a year and dig into the idea of what you really want out of a bike.HappyTrails

my womans walmart 40+lb dhill nasty

[May 26, 2001]
Matt

Strength:

Sick frame, Gnarly fork, REALLY CHEAP, good brakes and NOTHING BREAKES!!!!!

the pedals cut you when you fall

An excellent bike for the money! A must have for the cross country rider who doesn't want to spend more on his bike than on his tv! An excellent fixer upper when the rider gets sicker! I give it an overall rating of 4 Flammin' terds!!!!!

[Feb 22, 2001]
Matt Skinner

Strength:

Awesome tires, decent alloy rims and a strong alluminum frame.

Front and rear derailers could shift smoother, soft rear brake and the pedals with clips suck.

Awesome bike for the first time user at a great price. Handles some pretty tough trails and the Rock Shock Jett smoothes out the ride. Upgrading this ride will become necessary as you tackle more difficult trails, but the stock bike will get you to plenty of trail riding adventures.